Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

I put money down right now that if a deal goes down with Texas that Chris Davis is part of the deal, especially with no true 1b in the minors.

I have a feeling you are right, but personally I would want no part of him, at least not as a major component of the deal. His minor league numbers are great, but he has over 800 career major league plate appearances and a career OBP of .300. I'd hand 1B over to Gamel, and push for a higher ceiling pitcher instead of Davis.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Davis would be the throw in since Texas would have no use for him for the next two years.

He'd be the throw-in since Texas would have no use for him ever again. Prince would take over for him at 1B, and then Mitch Moreland would take over 1B in a few years, with Prince moving to DH.

If anybody on our coaching staff can get him to learn to hit like he has in the minors, he could be very good. Just as long as he's not the main part of the deal.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/99503739.html

Tom Hardricourt chimes in here. My favorite line....."I don't see how the Rangers could come up with the package it would take

to get Fielder and also pick up the remainder of his $10.5 million

salary while the team is in bankruptcy." As everyone here is listing the pitchers Texas has that we'd want, the Brewers beat writer says he can't see how the Rangers could come up with a package the Brewers would accept. Interesting.

Interesting thought.... the Brewers had a scout at every game in the TEX/LAA series. Tommy Hunter started in one of those game, on Sunday. Think the Brewers were scouting him (and Chris Davis) and are going to ask for those two, plus some minor leaguers in a Prince trade?

I like that Sage. Bush and Fielder for a big package including Hunter.

Add me to those who would also like Holland.

A nugget I'd like thrown in on the deal is Brandon McCarthy. I was always curious what him and Loe would do outside Texas. Loe has been a find, maybe McCarthy would too.

Fielders salary is already in the Brewers budget, so paying the rest of it this year isn't out of the question. The team could trade a reliever in a different deal to save some money if they felt they needed to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/99503739.html

Tom Hardricourt chimes in here. My favorite line....."I don't see how the Rangers could come up with the package it would take

to get Fielder and also pick up the remainder of his $10.5 million

salary while the team is in bankruptcy." As everyone here is listing the pitchers Texas has that we'd want, the Brewers beat writer says he can't see how the Rangers could come up with a package the Brewers would accept. Interesting.

And this is the guy that writes up the Brewers' Top 10 Prospects for Baseball America. I cringed when I saw that, too.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Interesting thought.... the Brewers had a scout at every game in the TEX/LAA series. Tommy Hunter started in one of those game, on Sunday. Think the Brewers were scouting him (and Chris Davis) and are going to ask for those two, plus some minor leaguers in a Prince trade?

A big no to Tommy Hunter for me.

Extreme fly ball pitcher, mediocre stuff, awful strikeout rate. That's the trifecta of stay away for me.

A big no to Tommy Hunter for me.

Extreme fly ball pitcher, mediocre stuff, awful strikeout rate. That's the trifecta of stay away for me.

And yet he's getting good results in Texas, the toughest place for that style of pitcher to pitch. He's made 32 MLB starts, I think we have a decent look at what his floor is. He's good, though I still think Holland has to be the big fish in this deal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I agree that you'd be buying really high on Hunter. Hunter's record is extremely luck-based. He's not nearly as good as his W-L and ERA indicate.

Decent fangraphs article posted today about him:

"Hunter is currently experiencing one of the greatest combinations for pitcher performance: low BABIP and high strand rate. Since he has kept his strikeout and walk rates low he allows many balls in play — of the 251 batters he has faced 194 have hit the ball into fair play. Yet only 44 of those 194 have fallen in for hits, leaving him with a .234 BABIP, second lowest among AL pitchers with 60 IP. When those runners do reach base, they tend to stay there. Hunter has allowed 44 non-homer hits, has hit three, and has walked 15. Of those baserunners, 86.2 have been stranded on the base paths. This, too, is the highest mark in the AL."

http://www.fangraphs.com/...done-one-way-or-another/

I see alot of deals proposed including Scheppers, but I'd rather get LHP Michael Kirkman. He' s in AAA like Scheppers at the same age, and has also has strikeout stuff, but has been more effective, and doesn't have a massive history of injury. I don't see Scheppers shoulder holding up as a starting pitcher.

I'd also like reliever Pedro Strop. He has big heat and is MLB ready. He's already 25, but thats because he spent his 1st 4 seasons as a SS.

I've lost interest in Chris Davis, but I guess I'd give him 1 last shot. Even if he succeeds, I'd like to deal him after the season and move Braun to 1B and Hart to LF.

Whatever package we get will need to include some guys not on the 40 man roster, as were full. We can open a few spots, but 4 might be pushing it. Wilmer Font is a stud younger arm I'd love.

Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that hart/fielder trades remain unlikely, but there is interest in their relievers as well as Bush. Sometimes I fell like these guys are simply stating the obvious. Almost all trades are unlikely, but all it takes is one team. I hope Melvin takes this opportunity to improve the future of this team.

Ken Rosenthal just tweeted that hart/fielder trades remain unlikely, but there is interest in their relievers as well as Bush. Sometimes I fell like these guys are simply stating the obvious. Almost all trades are unlikely, but all it takes is one team. I hope Melvin takes this opportunity to improve the future of this team.
I say trade 'em all. Fielder, Hart, Bush, Hoffman, Coffey, Capuano, Villanueva, Hawkins, Riske, Edmonds, Counsell, Inglett.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This is disappointing to say the least. It seems Melvin is betting all his chips on this offseason when other first basemen may be on the market as well. Let's hope it doesn't backfire. This news plus the hart injury could spell the makings of another quiet deadline for the crew. I keep flashing back to how excited for the deadline last year, only to see the brewers bring in claudio vargus. Hopefully some team gets desperate before Saturday.

The Passan tweet is a bummer, but hopefully it's just the Rangers posturing to see if they can get out of giving up less. There's going to be a lot of that going on in the next couple days.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

@WiscoSportsNut

I say trade 'em all. Fielder, Hart, Bush, Hoffman, Coffey, Capuano, Villanueva, Hawkins, Riske, Edmonds, Counsell, Inglett.

Think I'd look to trade McGehee too, he's been awful defensively at 3B. I hope McGehee isn't the Brewers starting 3B next season.

Think I'd look to trade McGehee too, he's been awful defensively at 3B. I hope McGehee isn't the Brewers starting 3B next season.

I realize it may be really tough given his contract. But how about Wolf too?

I realize it may be really tough given his contract. But how about Wolf too?

Oh yeah, I just figured it would be impossible to trade him. I'll throw Gomez in there too then.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Yeah, I guess it may be impossible at this point too. I had Wolf on my list to look into trading a month ago before his numbers totally fell off the cliff.

That said, maybe ask for a mid-level, fairly low-ceiling prospect and we pay the rest of this year and next on Wolf's contract? A team may think of that. They'd get Wolf for 2 1/3 years for $9-$10 mil.

To me, I see Gomez being out of baseball within a few years. You're right, I don't know how anyone would trade for him. The only thing he has going is he won't be massively expensive given his low arbitration rake methinks.

If we pull a stunt like trading Wolf somewhere he doesn't want to go for a low level prospect we can kiss our chances goodbye of ever signing a free agent again. We are stuck with him now, at least until the last year of his contract. Even then it had better be to a contender and with his blessing.

It's easy to say just trade this guy and that guy because he's underperforming. We don't want to turn the team into a 3 ring circus by trading everyone who is set to become a free agent or who is underperforming for some low level prospect.

If we move Prince it's only because we know we can't sign him long term. The return better be high because it's likely worth more in ticket revenue to keep him than to just give him away.

Archived