Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

Yuck to Holland I am not all that impressed with him right now. Yes he had a good year last year but this year something seems wrong with him. Actually I think he is injured right now so you can scratch Holland off the list. A more realistic trade for Fielder involving the Rangers would be Perez, Font, and Reed with the Brewers picking up all of Prince's remaining contract this year. I don't see the Brewers getting anyone better than Font or Reed with Perez already in the mix.

Actually, Holland is on a rehab assignment and has pitched very well this year. Perez has struggled with command this year and has had a few "Dave Bush-like" blow-up outings. That's not saying I wouldn't love to get Perez, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Holland either.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deal has to start with Holland or Tommy Hunter (most likely Holland). Omar Poveda is another young Texas SP that not many people are talking about, and we'd be more likely to get him as opposed to Scheppers or Perez. Moreland could probably take over at 1B next season, with Gamel playing there for the remainder of this season. I'm the only person who suggested Engel Beltre. He's a power-hitting OFer, who could probably take over for Corey Hart (since we're going to be rid of him at some point).

A deal for Prince of Holland, Poveda, Moreland, and Beltre would be fair to both sides, if you ask me. We'd be paying Prince's salary and we'd get two nice starters (one who can start immediately), a replacement for Prince in the near future, and a replacement for Corey Hart when he's gone.

Poveda's numbers don't impress me very much. In just looking at numbers, I would go with Robbie Ross if he could be had instead.

Beltre's tools are intriguing, and he's still only 20, so he's got time to develop yet. Although, I almost would rather have C Vince DiFazio as we seem to have less catching prospects than corner outfield prospects.

Ross is a nice looking prospect that, admittedly, I had not heard of. Looking at his stats, he certainly looks impressive. The one thing I find interesting, is that he's hit 22 batters in 34 games. I guess he pitches inside a lot, which I wouldn't mind. Seems like a big strikeout guy, another thing I wouldn't mind (more than that, something we need as a team).

DiFazio is a no-go for me. We do have plenty of catching prospects (Lucroy is only 24 and starting at the MLB level, Kottaras is only 26. They'll both be around a while. I'm still not sure what the situation is with Angel Salome, but I'll qualify him as both C and OF. We've got guys like Maldonado, Shawn Zarraga (seldom known, but looking like a solid spec), Cameron Garfield, Kevin Bedard, and Tyler Roberts all as catching prospects). As far as I'm concerned, catching isn't as big a need as corner OF. Most of our true OF prospects are CFers. The only corner OF prospects we have are Caleb Gindl, Erik Komatsu (who plays all 3 OF spots), and both Kentrail and Khristopher Davis. Beltre seems closer to the majors than any of those guys I listed (I think both Beltre and Gindl are in AA right now).

Actually, Holland is on a rehab assignment and has pitched very well this year. Perez has struggled with command this year and has had a few "Dave Bush-like" blow-up outings. That's not saying I wouldn't love to get Perez, but I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Holland either.

Holland won't be returning until August and I doubt the Rangers trade someone who is going to be in their rotation this year for Prince. Perez is only 19 years old and in AA of course he is going to have some blow-up outings. I still would take Perez over Holland and if the Brewers trade Prince this year I would rather have Perez than Holland. I don't see how Holland would really improve the team next year at all. I would rather have Perez for 2012 or 2013 plus Perez gives the Brewers more control years than Holland does.

I don't see how Holland would really improve the team next year at all.

I would rather have Perez also, but in my mind that is a ridiculous statement. I would hazard that Holland is better than anybody not named Gallardo in the Brewers' rotation, and there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't be able to provide a meaningful contribution to the Brewers next year. Perez would be preferred, but in my opinion the right package of players could be built around Holland.

paulmolitor4]

I would rather have Perez also, but in my mind that is a ridiculous statement. I would hazard that Holland is better than anybody not named Gallardo in the Brewers' rotation, and there's no reason to believe that he wouldn't be able to provide a meaningful contribution to the Brewers next year. Perez would be preferred, but in my opinion the right package of players could be built around Holland.

I just don't see how Holland will improve the Brewers more so than they would be without him.

I just don't see how Holland will improve the Brewers more so than they would be without him.

At least with Holland there is the potential of him being a very solid major league starter next year. Other than Gallardo, who fits that bill? Parra? Wolf? Bush? I'd take Holland over all of them. Holland probably projects as a 3, but I could easily see him sliding in behind Gallardo as a 2 for the next few years. I would have a lot more faith in Holland fulfilling that potential than say Parra.

At least with Holland there is the potential of him being a very solid major league starter. Other than Gallardo, who fits that bill? Parra? Wolf? Bush? I'd take Holland over all of them. Holland probably projects as a 3, but I could easily see him sliding in behind Gallardo as a 2 for the next few years. I would have a lot more faith in Holland fulfilling that potential than say Parra.

There isn't really a big need for someone to fill in behind Gallardo next year though. All of the Brewers prospects are going to be coming around in 2012 so it would be better to have Perez than Holland.

Holland had a rehab start this afternoon at AAA. His line: 5 IP, 1 Hit, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 1 K.

At AAA this season he's now 5-1, with a 1.03 ERA in 43 2/3 innings with a 4-1 K/BB ratio. He's 2-1 with Texas this year with 4.19 ERA.

His injury wasn't serious, just some inflammation in the shoulder, and Texas was being cautious. The shoulder's felt fine for nearly a month but a little knee tendinitis set back his rehab. He's nearly ready to go.

There isn't really a big need for someone to fill in behind Gallardo next year though. All of the Brewers prospects are going to be coming around in 2012 so it would be better to have Perez than Holland.

We'll still have talent on our team next year (and plenty of money to fill in holes), with a big need for pitching. While I really just want to see the most talent coming back, we could use someone in our rotation next season. Then when some of our other pitchers start to get MLB ready, the pitcher we'd get in the Fielder trade would have a season or two under his belt. I'd prefer having the pitchers come to the majors a little more sporadically (1-2 a season) rather than having a scenario where we have 3-4 rookie starting pitchers on the team in one season. Not only would they likely have some major growing pains, where we'd almost have to sacrifice a year or two until they all gelled, but we'd also lose them all in the same year. This would lead to another situation like we're just coming out of where we had a small 2-3 year window where we had a shot at the playoffs.

That said, if we have a choice of a superstar prospect in AA or a #4/5 ceiling guy in the majors, I'll take the prospect. I'd hope that with Fielder and Hart to trade, we can find one young, MLB-ready guy who figures to be at least a #3. That's why I got so excited with the idea that Hart could bring the MLB-ready guy. Then I figured we could just get the best package of talent (regardless of level) for Fielder.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Like I said, I prefer Perez also (due to his tremendous upside), but I'm saying a deal involving Holland could also work out favorably. If Perez can't be pryed away, the Rangers still have enough talent to put together a good package for the Brewers. Although, a deal should at least involve Holland, Perez, or Scheppers.

Jim Bowden (Fox) tweeted that the Rangers are inching closer to acquiring a 1st basemen. The Dallas Morning News bloggers have also picked up the story, and indicated that the Brewers were scouting the Rangers/Angels series. Texas seems to make the most sense of any trade rumor to this point. They're obviously going all in, and with Melvin's history with the Rangers, you've got to think this could get done. I wonder how serious the Rangers really are?

On a side note, if a deal with Texas were to get done, we might have Derrek Lee to thank for it. Reports out of Chicago were that the Cubs had offers from the Rangers and Angels, and that Lee exercised his no trade clause.

Also it looks like the Brewers are melting down big time today against the Reds....perhaps this will convince Melvin it's time to deal.

Again, if we're paying Fielder's salary while he plays in Texas, we better get a huge return back from the Rangers, or I don't see the point in doing it. I'd ask for Holland, Perez, Davis and a nugget.
I would like that deal very much.

Well great, now I'm getting all excited about a possible deal with Texas. It had better happen, or I'm going to personally punch Jon Heyman, Jim Bowden, and Evan Grant in their respective faces for getting my hopes up.

That said, I don't think I could find a way to be unhappy with any of the aforementioned pitching prospects in a Fielder trade. They're all very good.

Well great, now I'm getting all excited about a possible deal with Texas. It had better happen, or I'm going to personally punch Jon Heyman, Jim Bowden, and Evan Grant in their respective faces for getting my hopes up.

That said, I don't think I could find a way to be unhappy with any of the aforementioned pitching prospects in a Fielder trade. They're all very good.

I hear ya.....just keep in mind that Texas is in rough financial shape. Not sure how the rest of the league would react to Texas picking up Fielder's salary. Deal can't get done unless Milwaukee picks up the tab. Texas certainly seems to be the best match in terms of prospects however.

At this point I think I'd love to see what kind of return the Brewers could get by trading Fielder and picking up his salary the rest of the way. The Rangers seem like a team that could make that worth the Brewers' while.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Rangers seem like the most ideal partner, as they have quite a few intriguing arms at various levels.

Plus, the fact that they will almost certainly have to have the Brewers pick up the remainder of Fielder's 2010 contract will increase our bounty substantially. That's exactly how SF got Main, by picking up Molina's deal. The Rangers way overpaid in talent on that, I think, just to save on the cash. Same could be said for the Lee deal, as he is a rental.

It'd be interesting to see if the Rangers could find a buyer for the franchise, as, if they could they would have Fielder under contract. Otherwise, they'll have to sell him in the offseason, likely for less if their monetary situation doesn't become more fluid.

For the love of Pete please let something happen. I can't imagine we will get anyone better than Holland or Perez + in the offseason, and with Texas making a real push this year and the Brewers' willingness to pay Fielder's remaining salary for the season they could really get something good!

Scheppers has some ridiculous stuff, but I'm worried about just how many people think he'll eventually end up a closer due to injury concerns. If they could pry Scheppers and Perez from the Rangers I'd probably feel better about the situation, even if they had to add more players to the deal to get it done.

It does seem pretty clear that the Brewers would have to pay the rest of Prince's 2010 salary due to the court's bankruptcy ruling, but if it gets the Brewers better prospects because of it, I'd be all over it compared to some of the other deals that were rumored.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Interesting thought.... the Brewers had a scout at every game in the TEX/LAA series. Tommy Hunter started in one of those game, on Sunday. Think the Brewers were scouting him (and Chris Davis) and are going to ask for those two, plus some minor leaguers in a Prince trade?

I would put money down right now that if a deal goes down with Texas that Chris Davis is part of the deal, especially with no true 1b in the minors.

Add to that he may be at throw in status for Texas. He is similar to how Sexson was in regards to how Cleveland felt about him.

The Rangers seem like the most ideal partner, as they have quite a few intriguing arms at various levels.

Plus, the fact that they will almost certainly have to have the Brewers pick up the remainder of Fielder's 2010 contract will increase our bounty substantially. That's exactly how SF got Main, by picking up Molina's deal. The Rangers way overpaid in talent on that, I think, just to save on the cash. Same could be said for the Lee deal, as he is a rental.

It'd be interesting to see if the Rangers could find a buyer for the franchise, as, if they could they would have Fielder under contract. Otherwise, they'll have to sell him in the offseason, likely for less if their monetary situation doesn't become more fluid.

Well Harden's, Vlad's and Oliver's deals are all up so Texas will have some money.

Archived