Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 2)

17 Martin Perez LHP

42 Tanner Scheppers RHP

Those are two players in the Rangers system as ranked by Baseball America. I don't know enough to have a strong opinion on what else should be included in an offer.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some names to consider:
Martin Perez LHP
Tanner Scheppers RHP
Mitch Moreland 1B/OF (I really really like him)
Wilmer Font RHP
Michael Main RHP
Robert Ross LHP
Max Ramirez C
Guillermo Moscoso RHP
Robert Erlin LHP
@WiscoSportsNut

Some names to consider:
Martin Perez LHP
Tanner Scheppers RHP
Mitch Moreland 1B/OF (I really really like him)
Wilmer Font RHP
Michael Main RHP
Robert Ross LHP
Max Ramirez C
Guillermo Moscoso RHP
Robert Erlin LHP

Main got traded in the Bengie Molina deal.

Keep in mind, the Brewers would have to pay most, if not all, of Fielder's remaining salary this season. So we could rightfully ask for a bit more. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

For me, a deal would start with Derek Holland, and include Omar Poveda (or Martin Perez), Tommy Mendonca (or Mitch Moreland), and Engel Beltre.

I could get on board with something like this: Holland or Perez, Moreland, and Ross for Fielder. In this scenario the Brewers would get one major-league-ready lefty starter and one young prospect lefty starter (with good groundball/strikeout rates), and a solid left-handed bat that could step in for either Fielder or Hart at 1B or RF (not sure how good his defense is though - I know he's a bigger guy). The Brewers might have to throw in a low level prospect or two, but I think something like this could work well for the Brewers.

17 Martin Perez LHP

42 Tanner Scheppers RHP

Those are two players in the Rangers system as ranked by Baseball America. I don't know enough to have a strong opinion on what else should be included in an offer.

I'm sure Melvin would insist on at least one of their major league ready guys, Tommy Hunter (8-0 with Texas) or if not him, lefty Derek Holland who last pitched a rehab (perfect 3 IP, 6K's) in Arizona rookie league last Friday.

Rangers can't take on additional salary so Brewers would have to pick up the $3.8 million owed Fielder this year. That gives Melvin even more leverage in players. I would imagine Rangers in addition to pitching would throw in 1B Chris Davis who's monster minor league numbers haven't yet translated to the majors, but who's still only 24.

Rangers have the young talent to get it done. I don't see the Angels having the major league ready arms the Brewers want.

I would imagine Rangers in addition to pitching would throw in 1B Chris Davis who's monster minor league numbers haven't yet translated to the majors, but who's still only 24.

I forgot about Davis. He could also take Moreland's place in my previously mentioned deal. Or if somehow both could be had, that would be even better. I think Davis' bat will come around and would play very nicely in Miller Park.

I would imagine Rangers in addition to pitching would throw in 1B Chris Davis who's monster minor league numbers haven't yet translated to the majors, but who's still only 24.

I forgot about Davis. He could also take Moreland's place in my previously mentioned deal. Or if somehow both could be had, that would be even better. I think Davis' bat will come around and would play very nicely in Miller Park.

Davis is a big power hitter, and his bat could thrive at Miller Park... Could. I'm worried about his inability to hit above .200 this season, though. In his full season in 2009, he only hit .238/.284/.442. That line looks like Carlos Gomez with much more power, and we don't need that. His defense so far in the majors appears to be a liability. I'd much rather have Moreland, to be honest.

Will Carroll tweeted the following, "Fielder to Rangers would start with Martin Perez and end with a couple more pitchers. Rangers using farm to play for the now?"

Be interesting to see if Melvin would truly be willing to trade Fielder for young pitching now or will still think he could do better after the season. Of course, not sure what those other couple pitchers would be or what else they might be willing to trade.

Davis is a big power hitter, and his bat could thrive at Miller Park... Could. I'm worried about his inability to hit above .200 this season, though. In his full season in 2009, he only hit .238/.284/.442. That line looks like Carlos Gomez with much more power, and we don't need that. His defense so far in the majors appears to be a liability. I'd much rather have Moreland, to be honest.

I think Davis is a classic boom or bust type player. He had a strong second half for the Rangers last season when he got regular playing time, and he hit really well after getting sent down earlier this year, but he does strikeout a little much. I seem to remember reading that he was an average to an above average fielder, but irregardless he would be an improvement at first over Fielder.

I'd go for a trade like this...

TEX get:

1B Prince Fielder

MIL get:

P Martin Perez

OF Mitch Moreland

P Derek Holland

P Tanner Scheppers

I think Holland gets added to the deal if we pick up the rest of Prince's contract, which we'd have to. TEX would be beastly!!!!

1. Kinsler

2. Young

3. Hamilton

4. Fielder

5. Vlad

6. Cruz

7. Molina

8. Andrus

9. Borbon

That's an amazing lineup!!!

TEX get:

1B Prince Fielder

MIL get:

P Martin Perez

OF Mitch Moreland

P Derek Holland

P Tanner Scheppers

I think Holland gets added to the deal if we pick up the rest of Prince's contract, which we'd have to. TEX would be beastly!!!!

If we got those 3 pitchers for Prince Melvin would look like a genius. I cannot see anyway that would happen.

If I deal Fielder I want all pitching in return. We have plenty of guys that can be moved to first base. Heck if he gets traded why not just move Corey Hart back there? Or Jim Edmonds could play there the rest of the year. Casey McGehee. Craig Counsell. If we are trading Fielder, we are giving up on the season anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I don't want a guy like Chris Davis back just so we have someone to put at first base. It's something that can be addressed in the offseason (Derek Lee? Gamel? McGehee? Hart?)

I'd be ok with a deal to Texas if it included Perez or Holland plus two more pitchers.

TEX get:

1B Prince Fielder

MIL get:

P Martin Perez

OF Mitch Moreland

P Derek Holland

P Tanner Scheppers

If we got those 3 pitchers for Prince Melvin would look like a genius. I cannot see anyway that would happen.

Perez and Scheppers would be in the deal, plus they throw in Holland since we cover Prince's salary for this season. Maybe we throw in another player into the deal (bullpen help).

TEX get:

1B Prince Fielder

MIL get:

P Martin Perez

OF Mitch Moreland

P Derek Holland

P Tanner Scheppers

1. Kinsler

2. Young

3. Hamilton

4. Fielder

5. Vlad

6. Cruz

7. Molina

8. Andrus

9. Borbon

That's an amazing lineup!!!

I wish the Brewers could get that kind of return for Fielder, but my guess is the Rangers would only part with one of those three pitchers. Getting two of them would even be an excellent return.

I'm still thinking it would be something like this:

Holland or Perez

Davis or Moreland

Ross and/or Font

paul253]If I deal Fielder I want all pitching in return. We have plenty of guys that can be moved to first base. Heck if he gets traded why not just move Corey Hart back there? Or Jim Edmonds could play there the rest of the year. Casey McGehee. Craig Counsell. If we are trading Fielder, we are giving up on the season anyway, so it doesn't really matter. I don't want a guy like Chris Davis back just so we have someone to put at first base. It's something that can be addressed in the offseason (Derek Lee? Gamel? McGehee? Hart?)

I'd be ok with a deal to Texas if it included Perez or Holland plus two more pitchers.

The reason you take someone like Davis is because he's cheap for several years, and he also has potential to be a big time first base bat. Not taking him because you can get some other stopgap to step in would be shortsighted in my opinion.

Deal has to start with Holland or Tommy Hunter (most likely Holland). Omar Poveda is another young Texas SP that not many people are talking about, and we'd be more likely to get him as opposed to Scheppers or Perez. Moreland could probably take over at 1B next season, with Gamel playing there for the remainder of this season. I'm the only person who suggested Engel Beltre. He's a power-hitting OFer, who could probably take over for Corey Hart (since we're going to be rid of him at some point).

A deal for Prince of Holland, Poveda, Moreland, and Beltre would be fair to both sides, if you ask me. We'd be paying Prince's salary and we'd get two nice starters (one who can start immediately), a replacement for Prince in the near future, and a replacement for Corey Hart when he's gone.

Deal has to start with Holland or Tommy Hunter (most likely Holland). Omar Poveda is another young Texas SP that not many people are talking about, and we'd be more likely to get him as opposed to Scheppers or Perez. Moreland could probably take over at 1B next season, with Gamel playing there for the remainder of this season. I'm the only person who suggested Engel Beltre. He's a power-hitting OFer, who could probably take over for Corey Hart (since we're going to be rid of him at some point).

A deal for Prince of Holland, Poveda, Moreland, and Beltre would be fair to both sides, if you ask me. We'd be paying Prince's salary and we'd get two nice starters (one who can start immediately), a replacement for Prince in the near future, and a replacement for Corey Hart when he's gone.

Poveda's numbers don't impress me very much. In just looking at numbers, I would go with Robbie Ross if he could be had instead.

Beltre's tools are intriguing, and he's still only 20, so he's got time to develop yet. Although, I almost would rather have C Vince DiFazio as we seem to have less catching prospects than corner outfield prospects.

ya trade prince for pitching..then you use 50% of the prince money to sign adam dunn to play 3b...production remains about the same...except we got whatever we get for fielder
I think Dunn might be a liability at 3B. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I have a very hard time believing that Texas is in a financial position to take on Fielder's contract, but if the Brewers pick up any of Fielder's tab this year they should be able to get some pretty sweet arms back from the Rangers.
If the Brewers pick up the salary then it would work. The Rangers pushing all in this year, so I could see them makinga deal like this.

Yuck to Holland I am not all that impressed with him right now. Yes he had a good year last year but this year something seems wrong with him. Actually I think he is injured right now so you can scratch Holland off the list. A more realistic trade for Fielder involving the Rangers would be Perez, Font, and Reed with the Brewers picking up all of Prince's remaining contract this year. I don't see the Brewers getting anyone better than Font or Reed with Perez already in the mix.

Slightly annoyed aside:

I follow this stuff on Twitter quite a bit, and it seems like every other two bit "tweeter" has to make some lame joke about Prince Fielder's weight. It's like, "Yes, everyone knows he's a big dude. Yeah, I'm sure his diet consists solely of twinkes and ho-hos, huh huh huh...get over it already."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived