Brewer Fanatic

autographs, signings, and tips, part 2

drezdn
  • Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this in an email from beckett and thought some here may like the info.

Grading the Autograph

When I am attending card shows I got a ton of questions. Many times I will write a question down and share it in either the Grade School each month or in the Beckett Grading newsletter "The Report Card". One question I get from time to time is how is an autograph grade determined? In this issue I will try to explain some of the details of autograph grading.

Generally speaking, autograph flaws will only deduct from the autograph grade. For example, a card that was signed and immediately smeared will get a lower grade on the autograph, but the surface will not be affected. An exception to this rule would be if the autograph flaw affects both the signature quality and the card itself; for instance, a signed cut that creases the surface and also smears the autograph. The best rule of thumb is that any flaws related to the actual ink of the autograph will normally be deducted from the autograph grade, while other flaws generally are taken into account on the surface grade. When the signature is on a sticker or cut, and the sticker/cut itself is creased (or torn, stained, etc.), this is taken into account in the surface grade. Excess glue bleeding onto the cut is also counted against surface. If the flaw also damages the autograph itself, both the surface and autograph grade may be lowered.

Below are some basic autograph grading standards. The scale is 5 to 10 and there are no half-point grades.

Autograph Grading Scale

A beautiful, boldly signed autograph that appears nearly perfect to the naked eye. Under normal viewing, it looks like an aesthetically-pleasing autograph.

This is a signature that is also very pleasing, but has slight imperfections that barely detract from the autograph. Very light bubbling or micro scratching is allowable, but no yellowing, fading, or smearing. Positioning should be nearly perfect - with just the very tips of a letter or two cut off or hidden.

At this level, some flaws begin to stand out slightly. Signature is still solid and pleasing, but might be somewhat bubbled throughout, or have areas of minor scuffing/scratching that detracts from the aesthetic beauty of the signature. Only lightly visible yellowing or fading or smearing is allowed. A cut signature may only have 10% of the signature hidden (or missing, when referring to a sticker autograph). Only a very small tip of the signature may run off or bleed onto the edge.

Flaws are evident, including heavy bubbling throughout, noticeable scratching, minor but noticeable yellowing or fading, small but obvious portions of smeared ink. Up to 20% of a cut autograph may be hidden, or 20% of a sticker auto may be missing. A portion of the signature may run off the card or may bleed onto the edge.

Heavy flaws are easily visible and highly distracting, including bubbling to the point of portions of the autograph being essentially invisible, extremely distracting scratching, yellowing or fading, or significantly smeared ink on multiple areas of the autograph. Up to 35% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing. Several letters of the signature may run off the card, bleeding onto the edge or opposite side of the card.

Very heavy flaws that highly distract from the autograph, including portions of the autograph being completely removed or invisible, catastrophic scratching throughout the entire autograph, extremely heavy yellowing, massive fading of the entire signature, smeared ink throughout the entire autograph. Over 50% of a cut autograph/sticker may be hidden/missing.

• 3 months later...

I doubt that I will go to this, just because I plan to get him in Beloit for free, but here is the info for those who do want to go: (This was announced a while ago, I just never got around to posting it)

Just Announced!!! Feb. 16th?

From: Waukesha Sportscards (waukeshasportscards@yahoo.com)

Sent: Wed 1/16/08 8:54 PM

To: wauk (waukeshasportscards@yahoo.com)

JUST ANNOUNCED!

Waukesha Sportscards is proud to present

for an extremely Rare PUBLIC signing with

Milwaukee Brewers Legend

PAUL MOLITOR

* 1977 Milw. Brewers 1st Round Pick

* 21 Major League Seasons Played

* 2004 Hall of Fame Inductee

* Seven Time All Star

* 3319 Career Hits

* 1993 World Series MVP

* .306 Career Batting Average

DATE: February 16th, 2008

TIME: 12-2pm

PLACE: Waukesha Sportscards Store

TICKET PRICES

Tickets are limited and must be purchased by Wednesday, February 13th in order to get in the door to meet Mr. Molitor. Ticket sales will start Thursday January 17th.

Cards/Balls/Flats 11x14 and under - $59ea.

Mini's/Bobbleheads/Flats larger than 11x14 - $69ea.

Jerseys/Bats/Game Used/Caps - $79ea.

Inscriptions - $20 ea.

(HOF, HITS, WS MVP, 1982 Brewers, or personalization -

will not do "Ignitor") any other requests need to be approved ahead of time

MAIL ORDER

Your item - use price list above plus return shipping

Our items

8x10 - $69 16x20 - $89

MLB Ball - $75 HOF Ball - $79

Molitor Louisville Slugger Model H176 Bat - $195

(Only a limited number of Molitor Model bats available so order

yours early to ensure you don't miss out)

Shipping is PPD on our items.

MAKE IT GREAT, HAVE IT SIGNED BY A GREAT!

Waukesha Sportscards

821 Meadowbrook Rd #9

Waukesha, WI 53186

262-544-0959 Call for more details

i have a question, i got this cool kendall bat and wrist bands, and the bat I'm wondering what color of sharpie would work the best, and also, is it possible to get wristbands signed? Is so with what? I'm afraid they are to rough to right on, wondering everyone's opinion, because I would rather not have them signed then have them look stupid, also, I've never got that color of bat signed before, I was thinking black or blue, I don't think silver would show up good, or would it?

thanks!
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/billyhallfan/100_2939.jpg

Silver is a no-no for that color bat. I learned that the hard way last season. Silver might work on the wrist bands though. Buy a cheap pair of black wrist bands from the store and practice on them.
20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

I'd skip having the wristbands signed. I don't ever remember seeing signed wristbands that look better than ones left unsigned.

I agree with that. I think the fabric would just bunch up, and the autograph would look like crap. Much cooler without the autograph on those.

I actually got a wristband signed by Bill Castro once at a baseball camp because it's the only thing I really had to get signed that I thought would look OK.

It didn't turn out at all, I'd definitely recommend leaving them, cool enough as is.

• 3 weeks later...

Mounted Memories put up there Autograph signing list for the Sun Times Show in Rosemont IL.

http://www.mountedmemories.com/Appearances/ShowSchedule.html

Theres the list of people who will be signing and how much.

One Stop Shop For Cell Phone Accessories. Like US On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MR-Wireless/233579846693356

Theres the list of people who will be signing and how much.
Interesting. I've been toying with the idea of having an inscription fee myself. I've been doing the "any item- $39" thing for awhile now and with free inscriptions. I think I'm going to add "'Overweight Balding Couch Potato' inscription- $15" next time I sign and see how that works out.

• 2 weeks later...
I've recently been receiving some things I sent to the Brewers to have autographed near the end of last season. It looks like they held them until spring training. Former Brewers Jenkins and Miller came through.

Nice! Maybe there is still hope for the Braun 8x10 I sent out forever ago.

How far at the end of the season did you send them? I think I sent the Braun 8x10 in August.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Never lose hope for autograph requests sent through the mail. Sometimes guys return stuff years down the road. Just last year someone got a request back from some old Phillies pitcher that he sent to in the early 90's. That's a 16 year wait!!! That request right there definitely proves to never give up hope haha.

Never lose hope for autograph requests sent through the mail. Sometimes guys return stuff years down the road. Just last year someone got a request back from some old Phillies pitcher that he sent to in the early 90's. That's a 16 year wait!!! That request right there definitely proves to never give up hope haha.

When I was young I used to send cards out to football players. About 2 years ago I got a self-addressed stamped envelope in the mail and was like "what is this?" I opened it up and it was a couple Cortez Kennedy autographed cards. I was shocked, because not only had it been like 12-14 years, but he took the time to add postage!! So yeah, don't give up hope.

If you like getting lots of crap in the mail like I do, e-mail all the MLB (or NFL or NBA) teams and ask them to send you a "fan pack." Depending on the team, they'll send you schedules and cards and magnets and stuff. The best one I've gotten so far was from the Reds.

The main reason I have lost hope is someone sent one out to Ryan a few weeks maybe before me and he got his back quite quick, where I am still in the waiting.

I sent my baseball in the middle of the summer to him and he got back within two weeks, but he might have received more fan mail towards the end of the year. I believe turborickey sent out a Braun 8x10 a few weeks before you. Don't give up hope!

On a side note, I sent a baseball to Prince in late September, so I don't know when to expect it. (hopefully it comes, but I am not going to worry about it for now)

Also, the fan mail must get shipped back to Milwaukee from Spring Training because the shipping would be higher, right?

Relating to my fan pack tip above I occasionally post on a fan mail message board and someone recently posted this on the feedback section and I found it to be kind of funny-

Ouch kinda got unlucky with your pics i got Granderson, Maggs, and Carlos kind of a weak fan pack but not as weak as my brewers one its a pic form a guy thats int on team and its lasts years schedule buts thats not all its Spanish so the team name is the cervasers

would you be better off sending something down to spring training rather than sending it to milwaukee during this month? i was planning on sending a couple of items, but my plan was to send the packages to the team in milwaukee.

Archived