Brewer Fanatic

autographs, signings, and tips, part 3

tony2sweet
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anybody heading down to Chicago for the Sun-Times / Mounted Memories Show this weekend? I have never been to a show anywhere close to this magnitude, so I hope I'm not overwhelmed at it. I'm going tonight and tomorrow afternoon to get some signatures of the old Cardinals players - Cepeda, Gibson, Carlton, and Sutter. I've got a pretty cool looking lithograph of old Sportsman's Park that I'd like to get as many of the big names on it. It seems like most of the signing tickets are rather reasonable for the 'roll-back' signers. I'd really like to get a ball signed by Randy Johnson on Saturday, but $150 is just a wee bit steep for me, hah!

tony2sweet, I didn't see your post until just now, but Rollie Fingers will be signing tonight at the show -- $20 for any item, plus 1 free inscription. That's a good deal for him.

Fingers is a great signer, and for cheap. He was right around 20 or 25 when I got him in Cooperstown.

tnweill - I went to a huge show last spring in Chicago and it was overwhelming at first. What I did, was just do a quick walk through before digging into boxes of anything just to see whats out there. Then obviously snag anything that catches your eye up front before going back to the start. I was surprised that I didn't see any bobbleheads between all the dealers.

You will probably also come across great deals on signed balls and 8x10's of former brewers. I got 12 8x10's for 50 bucks from one table. (Ogilive, Cooper, Thomas, etc). I also found a signed baseballs of Capuano for 10.

Have a good time, and let us know what type of items you picked up!

Well this was a fun and expensive weekend! Not really knowing what to expect going in with this being the first time I've been to a show like this, I didn't really have a plan on what I was looking for. I was surprised with the amount of repetition that all of the dealers had there. I guess that's to be expected though. I spent the majority of the night on Friday sitting in autograph lines, so I didn't have too much time looking at the vendors' items. I have a print of old Sportsman's Park in St. Louis that I had Bob Gibson, Bruce Sutter, Orlando Cepeda, Lee Smith, and Steve Carlton sign down there. I'm planning on having Schoendienst sign it next month too. It's the only item I've got that is Cardinals-related, so even though Smith & Sutter didn't play a game there, I'm going to try and get as many of the bigger names to play for STL to sign it over time. Other things I got signed down there: - Rollie Fingers game-used 1982 cleats - Rollie Fingers on a 1982 Champagne bottle - Fingers added to 1982 W.S. team ball - Fingers on a County Stadium brick - Fingers 1981 All Star ball (2) - Steve Carlton HOF ball (signed it upside down on sweetspot) - Orlando Cepeda ball Here's what else I picked up down there: - Bobby Thomson & Ralph Branca signed 11x14 "Shot Heard 'Round the World" photo - Enos Slaughter signed 11x14 "Mad Dash" photo - Paul Hornung signed 16x20 photo - Mark DiFelice ball - Angel Salome ball - Mike Maddux ball - Ned Yost ball - Mike Rivera ball - 20 County Stadium bricks - 2002 Futures Game ball - 1987 All Star ball - 1988 All Star ball - 1992 All Star ball Photos of everything, plus some awesome Braves jerseys: http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/tnweill/Sun%20Times%20Show%20Nov%2009/

• 2 months later...
I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this. At the On Deck event, I started a team helmet. But when Escobar signed, he smeared Gamel's signature. Does anyone know of anything that will take that off? Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry if this is old news, but I just saw on the Brewers' website that Autograph Fridays is now only for kids 14 and under.
Good. This should stop the stampeding of the adults and at least limit it to running people 14 and under. Fine by me.

On one hand, I'm kinda bummed out as I was thinking of getting a Hoffman jersey signed this year. On the other hand, I've done a pretty good job of getting any players I wanted up to this point, so for me to go to auto fridays instead of tailgating with my friends won't be the end of the world.

If there's an item I'd really like to get signed, I'll pony up for it, hopefully this won't cause prices of sigs to go way up because the demand will now be higher.

• 1 month later...
anyone go to the players lot yesterday or over the weekend? how was it? i was thinking of goin today, but with the rain, i might wait till tomorrow to give it a try. the only player i really would like is edmonds, maybe gomez...i'd like to get that poster of braun and fielder signed from the paper sunday, but i doubt Braun signs ever in that lot, even early in the season

anyone go to the players lot yesterday or over the weekend? how was it? i was thinking of goin today, but with the rain, i might wait till tomorrow to give it a try. the only player i really would like is edmonds, maybe gomez...i'd like to get that poster of braun and fielder signed from the paper sunday, but i doubt Braun signs ever in that lot, even early in the season
I really want to get that poster signed as well. Love that picture of Braun/Fielder and that it is poster sized is icing on the cake. Want to try to get both of them on it and frame it to go up in my office. I might even go to paid signings to get that done this year.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

did ya get McGwire? sweetspotted? I know Aaron was also goin for him, but didn't get him.

I wish I had more interest in getting opposing players sigs, but the only thing I'd do with em is sell em, or never display them because they're not Brewers, and that's not my style.

Archived