Brewer Fanatic

autographs, signings, and tips, part 3

tony2sweet
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Escobar's agent screwed this up. Jeff's has a signed contract but so does Legends and Legends has an exclusive contract as well. When Macha changed the travel plans and Legends had to reschedule last weeks signing they decided to force the issue and schedule it for the same day/time as Jeff's. Might as well just wait a week or two and Legends will flood ebay with stuff. Hell, in the last couple of weeks you could have bought a Gamel signed ball for under $20 and signed photos for under $10 (one went for $1.79). Of course there is the high shipping.

yah, but 10 bucks for shipping (5 if you pick it up) is worth it if you find items for dirt cheap....balls are 15 alone at most places individually (do they come with a cube?), and 8x10's are usually 5...worth it. B-Type autographs aren't even worth waiting around for at auto fridays or the lot if you can get em for dirt cheap on eBay through Legends when you know they're legit. My two cents.

I went to this signing and it wasn't very busy at all. Gamel hardly had a line and seemed to be done w/in 10 minutes. Not sure how long it actually took. He also arrived early. Escobar's line was busier. I bought an extra ticket which was number 156 but there weren't that many people there. I'm guessing people dropped off items. It ran pretty smoothly and the players both seemed nice. Overall, pleasant experience & staff was friendly.

Anybody else get Doug Melvin to sign anything today? I got him to sign an authentic hat for me. Might not be worth too much, but I basically worship the guy and there surely can't be too many signed Doug Melvin hats floating around out there!

Got my bobble signed. Very cool promotion. Based on the small crowd for an all-fan giveaway (when is the last time that happened, except for maybe one or two of the mini bobbles) for the Melvin bobble, I assume this means no go on the Gord Ash bobble next year. Damn!

I didn't go, I was hosting a Packer party instead. I might not have set yesterday to do that had I known Melvin was signing before I invited people over.

Anyone know if Melvin would inscribe anything? I would have asked him to put "08 Wild Card" It woulda been nice to get a ball. Hopefully I can get him at some point.

I would have asked him to put "09 Wild Card" It woulda been nice to get a ball. Hopefully I can get him at some point.
With all due respect, I would say good luck getting him to write "09 Wild Card" on anything Brewers-related. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 3 weeks later...
A bunch of signings coming up. Don Money and Mike Caldwell at Waukesha Sportscards on Saturday, Lary Sorensen will be signing at Gonzaga Hall this Sunday. Gate X has a ton of Brewers coming up including Buck Rodgers, Mark Brouhard, Dick Davis and some guys from the 70s.

Did anyone else attend the auction at "The House in the Woods" in Eagle, WI that was mentioned in the JS yesterday? I came away w/a pretty good haul.... a bat signed by Gov. Thompson, Senator George Petak, Bud Selig, Uecker, Ulice Payne Jr, Yount, Gorman Thomas, Sal Bando, Ken Sanders, Jim Gantner, and Johnny Logan. I also got balls signed each by:

- George Bamberger

- President Ulice Payne Jr.

- Red Schoendienst w/1957 World Champs inscription

- Calvin Coolidge Julius Caesar Tuskahoma McLish w/Buster inscription (Cal McLish)

- 1957 Braves baseball: Johnny Logan, Felix Mantilla, Andy Pafko, Bobby Thompson #34, '57 Braves World Champions Mgr Fred Haney, Joey Jay #49

Overall, I was very impressed with how it was handled and how effecient it was. There were a couple other balls I was interested in, but the prices were a little too steep for my blood. Really glad I found this in the Journal Sentinel yesterday. This auction house is actually closing up shop next month too.

I was out there today, nice to know you were the one who got the Bamberger ball, I stuck in it for awhile but it got too steep for me. I came away with a few signed baseballs. I thought it was ran very promptly, couldn't believe how fast the items went by. I also couldn't believe how much some of the bats went for, $150.00 for a signed Rickie Weeks bat, seemed a bit high for me.

Yeah, I was very surprised to see that the more recent Brewers stuff went for way more than I felt it should have. I would've thought the Braves stuff would have went for more since it's more scarce. But I guess you never know what people are looking for on any given day.

What'd you end up taking home from there, deersveum12?

I got the following balls:

Dave Winfield Hof 2001, with the Steiner Sticker

Gary Sheffield

James Jerry Hardy-thought that was kinda funny, and very cheap

Greg Vaughn-even though it was a cheap Brewers ball, but for 5 bucks, why not.

Tracy Liz Lords signed baseball, a proxy bid for my buddy who came late.

I really wanted to go in on the signed 1982 Brewers World Series ball, but the opening bid was pretty much my limit. There was certainly alot of money spent at that place today. Very cool experience though, too bad there closing, I would be down to go out there again.

Any help on this would be great. I'm looking to see if anybody has seen or heard about any of theses players signing in the near future anywhere Milwaukee etc. Any help would be much appreciated.

Gorman Thomas
Ben Oglivie
George Scott
Sixto Lezcano
Richie Sexson
Jeromy Burnitz
Jeff Cirillo

Archived