Brewer Fanatic

autographs, signings, and tips, part 3

tony2sweet

Something must have come up or Cameron just forgot. He wouldn't have blown off the signing if there wasn't a reason. He is very much a fan friendly guy. All in all, I was able to get a Gamel 8x10, Looper ball, Catalonatto ball, and a Chris Smith ball.

The man from the Brewers running the day was not happy at all about Fielder. He seemed angered by it.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in line for Cameron -- what a letdown. At around 11:00 they came through the line to tell us he wasn't coming. They did take our name and address and apparently will send us an autographed item. That would be nice and I understand stuff comes up, but that felt like a major waste of time.

I agree John, I got there at 8 and found out Fielder cancelled. So that's 3 times now he's no showed that I can think of. With Cameron, I was dissapointed because he seems like a really good guy.

They said theyd send something. I'm guessing one of those stupid 5x7 cards. I took a chance at writing my name and underneath writing (ball please, w/ 3xGG please), hoping that works for me. As soon as they announced Cameron wasn't gonna make it, I didn't wanna bother getting anyone else, too much let down already. Instead I went to the speed pitch and then went down the street to some grand opening of a hardware store and ate free tacos and fruit. That made my day a little better.

Hart park is gonna be insane. I promise.

No BrewCrew - he has no contract, he signs a lot...I don't get why he keeps skipping out because he is one of the best signers on the Brewers...You can ask anyone in any city that collects autographs or gets autographs, Prince Fielder is one of the best signers that there is...He still signs at the players lot, I don't go to every game, and I have still gotten him there twice this year in probably 5 or 6 trips there after the game...I don't know if he just doesn't like the public stuff or what, but it is a real shame because it gives people a sour taste of the guy when he is extremely nice...

Mike Cameron is the exact same way...both are great signers...

As usual I was unable to make the Block Party. If anyone got a Chris Smith or Frank Catalanato 5x7 card signed (or unsigned) I would love to work out a trade or purchase price. Still looking for a Chris Narveson from the June block party. Will be very generous in your favor if you can help me out.

The Block Party today was alright. When I checked last night after the game (around approximately midnight) I saw Fielder had been removed from the list. My friend and I went for Gamel, we got there about 8am and were 103 and 104 in line. Cameron's line was actually longer than Gamel's at that point. They moved the Gamel line at least 3 times and since people were meandering around some people were getting a bit chippy about people not being in sequential order--but it is hard to be when the guy comes over and tells us we need to move, now.

Once the party started they had really loud music going so you really couldn't say anything to the players because they couldn't hear you. At least that is what happened with Gamel. It was disappointing Fielder wasn't there, but the Block Party is still always a pretty good time.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I agree with BillyHallFan....Prince is extremely generous when it comes to signings, as is Mike Cameron. I once was at ST with a Fielder Mc Farlane and an ESPN Mag cover reprint. I asked him to sign my Mc Farlane, which he did. I then went to put it in my backpack and he saw the ESPN cover and he asked me if I wanted that signed too. I said of course and then he asked if there was anything else I needed signed. I told him no, but I called a friend over and he signed three of his cards. Ever since I have been a huge Fielder fan.

I got not only autographs but also a picture with Prince (as did my girlfriend) when he was on his way into Wrigley when the Brewers were in Chicago. I have gotten his autograph before without \too much hassle, but this instance struck me as one where he was impressively nice and fan-friendly.

I'm not trying to disagree with you guys, cuz I've gotten Fielder a number of times... but what does this make the 99% of Brewers fans who have not gotten his autograph think after reading the above posts? "Boy, it's sure nice that Fielder will sign for 20-30 minutes in for the fans in Chicago. And it's great that he signs for fans in Arizona. And it's great that he signs 25%(which I think is high) of the time at the players lot. But every time he is scheduled to sign for fans in his home town of Milwaukee, he doesn't show up! Seems like he has time for fans in other cities... but not for us!" Cuz Realistically, what percentage of fans go to Chicago, Arizona, or the players lot?

I personally don't have a problem with him not signing. But if he doesn't want to sign... don't put him on the list! It doesn't have anything to do with him signing elsewhere. I would be upset with the guy too if I was one of the people at the last 2 block parties who showed up at 4am to get Fielder, only to find out he isn't showing. Or the people who get to the park before noon for autograph Fridays. I'm just very relieved I looked at the Block Party list before I headed out the door at 5am on Saturday...

I would feel upset if I was one of those people too.... I guess my point is that he isn't some big jerk who just hates to sign for people and doesn't want to give anything back to his fans.

However, it does state on brewers.com/blockparty that player appearances may be subject to change - so I guess it's one thing to be disappointed, but it's hard for me to blame the Brewers for that one. I, like everyone else, doesn't know why Fielder didn't show, so maybe he is to blame for not notifying the Brewers soon enough that it wouldn't work. I don't know. For the auto Friday that he missed, that is another crappy situation for anyone who waited for him for a long time. The story I heard was that he was getting some kind of "treatment" or something during that time.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't be pissed too if I had waited that long in line, it's just that I've never seen him as a guy who is some big arrogant prick or something like that.

especially since both of them sign all of the time...paying for a tough signer makes sense...

I hear people complain and complain about Legends of the Field because their exclusive clients "dont ever sign!" Now you know why. Clearly, some people arent going to go to this because they can get him because he "signs all the time".

The problem with Legends is not the actual signing or the prices. They can charge what they want. The problem is all of the items Legends dumps after the signing on ebay just destroying the perceived value of the items most people had signed. The law of diminshing returns would factor in if they ever brought the player in again.

These are the recent closed ebay auctions from Legends...

Hart OMLB 8.51

Hart 8x10 1.04

Vuckovich OMLB 42.45

Gallardo OMLB 21.52

Simmons 8x10 .99

Sheets 8x10 .99

Hart 8x10 .99

Vuckovich OMLB 38.98

Sure, they charge more for shipping, but they pay people to do their shipping.

Vuckovich signing started at $99 if I remember right. Hart, Gallardo and Sheets had to be in the $30-$40 range. Unless you have a special item or game used item to be signed why go to a Legends signing.

I have always said I wish the Brewers would sell the balls and 8x10's at reasonable prices. I would happy to buy them if they were not inflated 500%.

Players think the general public is going to make a killing from players autographs. I bought some 8x10's from BillyHallFan and I'm sure he didn't make a killing. I mean with all the time, gas, and supplies needed for the signing I'm sure he can't make a job of it. I hope my kids get into it, so it will be more ways to do what I like plus spending quality time with them.

I agree, unless you have a unique item to be signed or really want that 2 seconds in front of the player, just wait a few days and Legends will dump loads of stuff on ebay that will go for much less than they charged at the signing.

They have a public with Gamel now set up for August 13 in Delafield. Prices are $20-$30.

One thing I hate about buying autographs in general is that I like the satisfaction of knowing that I obtained the autograph in person, either at a free Brewers signing or out by the players lot/during BP/whatever. I have signed 8x10s of pretty much all the starters on the Brewers team and I obtained every one of them through these methods. It started out as just a thing to save money for me by not springing for autographs but now it's turned into much more of a hobby and "pride" kind of thing I guess.

That said, it would be hard to say no to the Hart 8x10 for .99 when I paid $5 to obtain the unsigned 8x10 that I had him sign.

Archived