Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 2

Patrick425

Turnbow needs to NEVER come in with inherited runners.

Shouse should NEVER pitch a full inning loaded with right-handed batters.

Counsell should NEVER attempt a steal of THIRD BASE with NONE OUT.

Come on Ned, get your head in the game. Or leave.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, thought I'd see this thread up.

The 8th inning was T-bows to win or lose. We can't afford to run our relievers in the ground. Cordero should not be brought in for more than an inning at a time, because he's been heavily overused lately. If we bring in Cordero we don't have anyone but Spurling in the 9th. Now that would have been stupid.

That's my vent. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

And Shouse can't even pitch in a 4 run game to help save the bullpen? Now obviously that backfired, but its hard to blame Yost for trying to give his workhorses a rest so they don't end up running out of gas by the end of the season.

Gee Whiz, talk about melodramatic overreactions.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure if this belongs here but I hate the In Game Thread on days the Brewers lose. Thanks.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Turnbow needs to NEVER come in with inherited runners.

Shouse should NEVER pitch a full inning loaded with right-handed batters.

Counsell should NEVER attempt a steal of THIRD BASE with NONE OUT.

Yes, yes and yes. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Shouse can't pitch against righties. Period.

Vs Lefties last 3 years:

.210 .274 .340 .615

Vs Righties:

.311 .399 .493 .893

Great idea to bring him in then to "Save the bullpen" when neither of our studs had pitched in 4 days.

Shouse is a LOOGY. Period. If he needed work so badly, we had 2 blowout games vs a mets team loaded with lefties.

Yosted for the 3rd time this year.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Counsellino suck ass!! i mean seriously how bad can their offense get and how long are we going to ride it out?? i wish someone with some brains would call up Braun and let him play....

also, rickie weeks shouldn't be batting leadoff. If we ever have a chance to get TGJ and Weeks in at the same time i really want to see how Weeks does in the 5 spot or in a cleanup position.

Perfect post, KegStand. It's like Ned thinks the team is invicible and he can just push any silly button and pull any crazy lever he wants and we'll find a way to win. Sick of move after move that just makes no sense at all. Especially giving up outs on CSes.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I strongly disagreed with the move to use Shouse....that just makes no sense at all, then you get Turnbow in there very quickly, he doesn't have it....so you get Cordero loose....and leave him out there?

That was garbage by Ned tonight...there's no excuse for the way he handled the 8th inning.

Now we see how the team handles adversity, this one never should have happened....and there are three more to play.

I had already declared myself pretty much done with Yost, so I guess I shouldn't be mad. But we're not good enough to be able to afford an idiot manager. Maybe in two years this team would be good enough to consistently overcome moronic decisions in the dugout.

Shouse didn't need to pitch. Turnbow hadn't thrown in five days. That was easily the longest inactive stretch he'd had all season. Frankly, you could argue that it was a mistake to leave him out both Saturday and Sunday in New York, because he's a guy who seems to need to work pretty consistently. He's been that way as long as we've had him.

When even BILL SCHROEDER, who typically isn't all that good at noticing little things, emphatically states that a certain pitcher just doesn't have "it", it's time to find someone else to pitch. I don't know if it was the layoff or the inherited runners or a combination of both, but it was clear Turnbow didn't have it. If you want to blame the layoff, which is certainly possible, then Yost should have recognized that Turnbow couldn't sit that long and put him in for the ninth Saturday or the eighth yesterday. Did Elmer Dessens really NEED to pitch both days? If it was the inherited runners, then Turnbow should be used exclusively to start innings unless it's a dire emergency. Some guys just don't do "inherited runners" very well, I 'spose.

And, honestly, it was almost criminal to leave him in as long as he did. It was obvious after two hitters that Turnbow didn't have anything. His control was off, and he didn't have his normal velocity. Instead of leaving the guy hanging out to dry, either Spurling or CoCo needed to enter that game.

Either way, tonight is another shining example of why we'll have a colossal collapse on our hands this summer unless the manager figures out how to handle the bullpen. You KNOW this is going to happen again, and probably again, and so on and so forth. Hopefully, the signs of improvement that I thought I'd seen from Ned weren't just dumb luck or some sort of aberration.

Of course, all of this could have been avoided if the guy currently lined up as our fourth starter could have survived more than 5 1/3 innings without showing obvious signs of an impending implosion. Congrats, Dave Bush, on the no-decision.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I think this game pretty clearly shows we need another real RP. Dessens, Spurling being borderline useless and Shouse only being able to face lefties really hamstrings us in that bullpen. I understand Yost trying to only use one of the two big guys with a four run lead but there just aren't many options left on this team.

Quote:
Of course, all of this could have been avoided if the guy currently lined up as our fourth starter could have survived more than 5 1/3 innings without showing obvious signs of an impending implosion. Congrats, Dave Bush, on the no-decision.

Pretty sure he left the game because of the pain he was in from pitching through a painful line drive off his knee. I mean give me a break this is the most foolish thing I've seen in a while.

Verified Member
Quote:
And, honestly, it was almost criminal to leave him in as long as he did

I love your choice of words. I think pefectly you captured the essence of our frustration.

Boys, let's hope it doesn't happen too often but in one game the Phillies exposed every weakness the Brewers have.

They are (in no particular order):

1. A manager who has no clue. Ned, in that ballpark, you don't run period especially with guys in their upper 30's.

2. A lefthanded reliever in Shouse, who's "stuff" is about as good as you'll see every night in an independent league.

3. A former closer relief pitcher who is just a tease. Given enough rope (see 1), he will not only hang himself but the entire team for the second consecutive season.

Archived