Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 2

Patrick425
  • Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm venting that somehow this thread ended up on page 2 even though we are losing tonight.

I love Bush, I think he's had horrible luck this year but I also think his confidence is shaken, I'm starting to lose some faith in him.

The Brewers are 4-11 in their last 15 games for a .267 win percentage. Although that is not going to continue for the rest of the season, until it stops I am going to keep on being frustrated.

i think i'm done with dave bush...i didnt think it would happen like this, but i really think i am...i'm ready to move him to villy's role, and let him see if he can force vargas out of the rotation...villy's got almost 100 high quality inning sin the bigs now, and i think that sample is enough to suggest that he would be better than bush as a starter...

At this point, I think this team needs to explore an alternative to Dave Bush, preferably Villy. Bush has been knocked around a number of times this season (April 6: CHC, April 28: at HOU, tonight). That may or may not be a lot at this stage in the season, but he is quickly becoming a liability.

PS: Hopefully this Cubs loss is incredibly demoralizing. Very, very similar to the Brewers/Phillies game last Monday.

Bush has had horrible luck all year but at this point it really seems like his confidence is shaken as well, almost like he's expecting things to go wrong so its a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I don't think it's really bad luck, though. I think he's got a dead arm period happening right now. It seems like his velocity has been down some this year, and without a doubt his location has been poor. He's still throwing strikes, but they're at the belt instead of at the knees. His breaking ball hasn't been sharp, for the most part, either. I think a DL stint might be the best thing for him. I'd be fine either way with Yo or Villanueva in the rotation, and if they deal, Bush returns from the DL to the bullpen.

Dave Bush sucks!

...I'm sorry but he just does. The Brewers can't allow this charade to continue with him much longer...he is the weakest link on the staff that could be strengthened greatly by someone else (Villanueva then Yo).

I hope Melvin continues to be proactive and notices these problems before it's too late (like the 3B situation and calling up Braun)

It's pretty tough to say he sucks when he was so solid last year, though, and his peripherals are still pretty solid this year. I think it's a combination of the bad luck that Ennder mentioned (which you can see in his hit rate) and a dead arm.

Vargas is the worst pitcher on the staff, and he's been pretty lucky. Bush is more like the third or fourth best on the staff, just that things aren't really working out for him this season. The Brewers have a pretty healthy lead in what is the worst division in baseball, so they can likely afford to play this out for a while yet.

I guess I'm fine with whatever they choose to do on this one, because I think Bush can be a solid reliever, too. But he's already been a decent starter, too.

Bush's stats almost perfectly match last years other than a higher BABIP and a low strand rate. The high BABIP is the luck part, seems like every game the defense misses a play or two or the umps blow a call or two etc for him. The strand rate was bad luck early in the year but now I think Bush has just lost his confidence and its a mental thing with him.

I'm fine with whatever they do with him, I certainly think he can get the job done as a starter but I don't think long term he's going to better than CV or Yo anyway so its not the end of the world if they end up moving him to the bullpen.

Vargas on the other hand scares the crud out of me, he has just looked ugly in a lot of his starts lately. These two are a classic example of why I hate the ERA stat for predicting future pitching success.

I agree with Brett. Bush has proven over the course of his career that he does not suck. His 6.13 ERA is the combination of bad luck, poor pitching, and perhaps a dead arm. Carlos Zambrano has been just as bad, yet, like Bush, I doubt he'll continue to struggle for the rest of his career.

right now the Outfield (minus Jenkins who is hitting well and fielding like a Gold Glover) is our biggest weakness.

I'm a big Tony Gwynn fan and even I think Gwynn should be sitting for awhile and Gross and Hart should get more time. If Hall continues to have problems and if Gross or Hart don't emerge as legit starters, the Crew will really need to trade for a legit MLB starting outfielder

Archived