Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2009–2010 (part 1)

milwaukeesportsfan
Why the hate on Michael Redd? We need Michael if we even want to sniff a top 6 spot in the East. I am excited for Michael to come back.

Depends how he plays when he gets back. First of all, Redd will be a defensive downgrade from Bell. On the offensive end, obviously Redd is a vastly superior player. That said, if Redd comes back and hurts ball movement by to many iso's, pounding the dribble, and taking shots from Bogut, that mixed with his defensive struggles could hurt the team more than help. One thing though that eases concerns i have about Redd coming back is that a strong coach like Skiles is in charge instead of say Stotts. Skiles has shown numerous times that he'll bench or limit the minutes to anybody on the roster if they aren't playing like how he wants.

The thing with Redd is I'd hardly call him a great shooter anymore, and that's what this team really lacks. He'll definitely be an upgrade of Bell though.

I agree that many folks out there overrate how good of a jump shooter that Redd is at this point in his career. His three point shooting percentages have declined, just as all of his jump shooting overall has. With that though, he has got significantly better the last few years at scoring in the paint and drawing fouls. In fact, i think that is his best strength now offensively. On this team, we do need a jump shooter more than a guy dominating the ball to much in an effort to score a lot of points. With the ability of Jennings to draw extra defensive attention and Bogut drawing double teams, if Redd is content to be mostly a jump shooter that makes defenses pay for doubling either Jennings/Bogut and here and there scoring in the paint, then he can be an asset. I'm curious to see if he buys into that role out of a desire to win over racking of lots of points.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My sentiments exactly. Redd brings the ability to not only get to the line, but to make teams PAY when he gets there. Over his career, he has been one of the most proficient free throw shooters. And let's also be honest. When Redd comes back, he is still our best outside shooter. Delfino has had his struggles. Ersan is more comfortable at 17' (which I am as well). And while Jennings has been Peja Shuttlesworth-esque, I still would take a slew of shooters from outside over him (Danilo Gallinari springs to mind, for young Italian-trained shooters). I would think Jennings would relish the chance to work with a fully-charged offense and drop dimes all day. He's shown opponents that they absolutely must respect his ability to pick-and-pop from distance. Now he gets to cash in that respect for the drive-and-dish. He continues to try (tonight, like many other nights, his rapport with Warrick has been atrocious. Always be ready!) and I think a healthy Redd to divert defensive attention away can only help our cause. Also, with Bogut's passing ability from the high post, Redd should be able to find a new niche if needed (he came into the league as a slasher-type).

I went to the game last night, and sat on the floor behind the hoop. Pretty cool. You can find really good deals from brokers right now. I got these for $40 on craigslist.

The only real thing that stood out to me last night was how much better Bogut looked than Lopez. On offense, Lopez looked like a garbage man that has an infatuation with shooting 16 footers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm worried Redd's knee will take a toll not only on his already less than stellar D but on his lift on his jumpers too. Hopefully not - they need some production from the 2.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My sentiments exactly. Redd brings the ability to not only get to the line, but to make teams PAY when he gets there. Over his career, he has been one of the most proficient free throw shooters. And let's also be honest. When Redd comes back, he is still our best outside shooter.
I agree with the first part. Redd's value would be as a guy who draws fouls and cashes in at the line. This team doesn't get to the line enough, and that would help. I don't think he's the best outside shooter. Jennings is obviously better. Plus, Ridnour, Delfino, and Ersan can shoot. I think Meeks will eventually be a more consistent shooter.

It all comes down to shot selection. The 2ns half of the Nets game was a great example. Guys passing up a good shot for a better one. Redd has to fit into that. What I like most about redd coming back is that it gives the Bucks another legitimate option at the end of games. A guy who can knock down a shot or draw a foul, and has been there before.

As everyone said, if he trys to be "the old Redd" and go 1-8 from behind the arc..... pound the ball out on the wing for 10 seconds...that's just not going to fly. The difference is, I don't think Skiles will stand for it. The team has already proven it can function without him, and he's not the star that drwas the fans anymore. If he doesn't play within the offense, he will get yanked.

I don't know how it got to be that Michael Redd is to blame for all of the Bucks problems and that we should be scared he is going to come into the mix and screw everything up. In the games Redd started last year, the Bucks were 17-15. In games he didnt start, we were 17-33. With Brandon Jennings being a big upgrade over Ridnour in the starting lineup and a supporting cast that looks at least on par to last year, why do we assume that Redd is going to be the undoing of a franchise?

In the games Redd started last year, the Bucks were 17-15. In games he didnt start, we were 17-33.
What was their record in games Bogut didn't start? Not saying you're wrong, but the bulk of that 17 - 33 was missing both of them.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I went to the game last night, and sat on the floor behind the hoop. Pretty cool. You can find really good deals from brokers right now. I got these for $40 on craigslist.
Wow thats awesome. I always thought NBA games were a very underrated live sporting event. What broker did you go through?

Their record with Bogut was one game over 500 in games he started. If anything that Illustrates my point that with our two top dogs last year healthy, we were a playoff team. Having those two guys healthy and in the lineup with a third stud like Jennings should be something to look forward to.

People can dislike Redd because he is overpaid, but not that he has ever had a poisonous effect on the success of the Bucks. We have lacked overall ability on our team for a long time. Now we have a few healthy pieces to build with this year. It was never Redd's fault we were losing and it won't happen now

One thing though that eases concerns i have about Redd coming back is that a strong coach like Skiles is in charge instead of say Stotts. Skiles has shown numerous times that he'll bench or limit the minutes to anybody on the roster if they aren't playing like how he wants.

This, and the fact that Redd actually has played pretty well defensively under Skiles. I don't think he's a liability anymore, but it will take him awhile to shake off that reputation.

I think that Redd coming back will only help this team, especially if he can hit the open shots that he will get with teams focusing on Jennings. I've always thought that Redd is the type of guy who would flourish being the second option on offense instead of the number one. With the way Bogut has developed, if we can keep him and Redd healthy, we are looking at the Big Three 2009.

I've always thought that Redd is the type of guy who would flourish being the second option on offense instead of the number one.

That was my thought, too, RockCo. It would seem a dangerous scoring threat at PG like Jennings would lead to a lot more kick-out and/or open 3-pt. shots for Mike.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I will never get why Redd is so hated around here or in general by Bucks fans. I think him coming back can really only help this team right now. I'd also imagine Redd isn't an idiot. He knows the team is playing well right now without him so he really doesn't have to score 30 ppg or anything like that. Redd gets paid what he gets paid regardless of how many points he scores. I'm sure he'd rather win than anything else and he really could be a crucial part of what could be a pretty good team this year.

If he comes in and acts like he's the guy and nobody else matters, there will be issues. I just don't see that happening. For all the crap Redd gets, how many truly talented players has Redd played with since he became a starter? If anything, he's had to force the issue since he hasn't had too many talented guys in the mold of Brandon Jennings around.

Bogut's out 2 - 4 weeks.

Yoshii: I found the guy on craigslist. I think his name was Andy iirc. He posts views from the seat you'd be buying that are actually legit, so I'd definitely recommend him.

Really sucks to hear about Bogut's injury. Guy is definitely brittle, though most 7 footers are. That's what makes a guy like Shaq so freakish. He's stayed pretty healthy his entire career.

Shaq's been hurt plenty his career, though. It's the main reason he only won one MVP.

Can't believe he's out 2-4 weeks.... just as Redd is ready to come back. Sigh.

Anyway, I was listening to 540 the other day, and heard Homer calling Jennings Double Nickles. I was kinda happy about that http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Devastating injury for the Bucks. It will hurt them some offensively, but he's the backbone of their defense and him being out will hurt the defense big time. Then there is the rebounding which has been a big strength so far and Bogut is clearly the best rebounder on the team. Jennings is great and the face of the franchise going forward like a very good quarterback is to a football team, but Bogut is like having a quality offensive line, their importance can get overlooked to a degree until an offensive line is bad as our Packers know full well.

The Bucks are definitely better prepared for this than they were last season. A frontcourt of Gadz/Elson and Charlie Villanueva is frighteningly bad. Time for Kurt Thomas to get into some games, and having a real PF like Ilyasova should help soften the blow as well.

If Redd if out tonight Jennings is probably going to have to take 35 shots.

Luckily we are not playing a very good team so we have a legitimate shot to win even without Bogut, Redd, and MBM.

Definitely not good timing though, they start a pretty tough road trip next week and really needed all hands on deck.

Luckily we are not playing a very good team so we have a legitimate shot to win even without Bogut, Redd, and MBM.

Has LRMAM been ruled out for the game tonight? I think we get smoked if that's the case.

Skiles should probably play some small ball like Nellie in GS. Our backup bigs are so bad that if they see extended minutes I just don't see how we can win.

Jennings, Ridnour, Bell, Meeks, Delfino, Warrick, LRMAM, and Ilyasova should be seeing nearly all of the minutes until one of Redd or Bogut get back.

Edit: I went back and looked at Shaq's stats, Baldkin, and you're right. He was even injury prone during his prime in ORL/LAL. I didn't recall that. He's never even played 82 games in his career. I guess teams can only count on their 7 footers to play about 65-70 games a year. Hopefully we can get that out of Bogut.

Good point. Garnett is one of the most unique players of all-time. He's 7 foot, but he can't weigh more than 235. Probably has a huge part in why he's stayed on the court so long.

Maybe Bogut should follow suit and get his playing weight similar to his Utah days, which was about 240. He's transforming into a face-up offensive player anyways.

Archived