Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2009–2010 (part 1)

milwaukeesportsfan
  • Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only thing I was talking about was the lady calling him Brad Jennings. That seemed like a big mistake for the guy who they are building there whole marketing campaign around. I thought it was a nice gesture, but I'm not sure if doing it on opening night was the best idea. It reminded me a of a high school teams introductions.

The intros were of infinite length, and the Army guy got a bigger hand than any player. Awkward, and some of the people added far too much superficial crap. It was also odd that the players almost had to get on their knees to "slap five" with the kids.

Each time I've gone to a Bucks game the last few years I've cringed about eight times. The in-game promotions, announcing, etc. is stupid and awkward. Their marketing department or whatever is responsible does not impress me.

"Work Hard. Play Hard." Really? Another slogan? Why do teams feel they need slogans?

My favorite was "Young, talented and tough" they even had a rap for it to go along with the laser light show. They were talking about Todd Day and Lee Mayberry (and probably Anthony Avent) http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Tomorrow is the first of many showdowns between our electric PG and the Rose of Chicago. The West has Paul-Williams. We have Jennings-Rose.

Ersan and Hakim are looking like they were smart buys so far (though Hakim did miss-time badly that alley-oop from Jennings). But the guy I'm still curious about is Delfino. I haven't seen him much since he was suspended. Is he anything special? There's a lot of potential, and I'm thoroughly behind Skiles...and I can't wait to see who we get in next year's lottery.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Anyone see this? I don't care for this dude but he thinks Jennings is Kenny Anderson on the low side and just south of AI if he reaches his potential.

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2009/11/02/20091102_ricksrant.nba/

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Yeah, I was more worked up about this loss than any Brewers' one this season. Deep down, I know the Bucks aren't going anywhere with this team, and it's probably best they play hard but lose, but it's still tough to swallow.

I hate to say it, but Ersan really looks outta place so far. I'm hoping he adjusts here pretty soon. The look he had to win it should be automatic for him. I'm hoping once he loses the mask he starts to hit his shots more consistently.

Right now Hammond's trade with TOR is looking pretty awful. Delfino and Ukic are garbage.

Good games from Bogut and Jennings. Bell didn't play too bad either.

During game 3 on the season, thinking about a lottery pick is the last thing I want to be thinking about. I love how Skiles is letting Jennings play his game with a little bit of gritty defense built in. The production we got from the small forward position was almost embarrassing last night and the offensive rebounding by the Bulls in the second half was awful. Luol Deng should not be racking up 20 boards against us. I like Hakim Warrick a lot but he really needs to commit himself to being a rebounder if he is going to start in our smallish lineup

I wish he would just let Meeks play and take his lumps.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I wish he would just let Meeks play and take his lumps.
I agree 100% here. When Max Redd went down I was hoping that Skiles would have the stones to put Meeks in. Charlie Bell is not, and never will be, good enough to start at shooting guard. Why not find out if Meeks can be that guy down the road?
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Last night's game was very frustrating, I didn't like how Skiles pulled Jennings in the first quarter just as he was starting to catch fire. I thought he had some weird subbing patterns going.

To be fair Gobias, Ersan looked very good in the Detroit game. I think it's going to take him some time, but he will eventually be a solid rotation player.

yoshii8 wrote:

To be fair Gobias, Ersan looked very good in the Detroit game. I think it's going to take him some time, but he will eventually be a solid rotation player.

Yeah, you can see flashes with him. I think he's another one that just needs to be on the floor and get experience. I've already decided this team is not going to win more than 30 - 35 games (if they're lucky). Might as well play guys with a future and see if they can reach their potential. Of course, the other side of that is you can't showcase veterans for trades but I guess I don't see the point of showcasing crap. It just reveals how crappy it is.

That is one thing I really dislike about the NBA. For whatever reason most coaches have very strict substitution patterns. They have in their mind when to sub and it really doesn't matter if a player is hot or is playing terrible.

Of course if it were up to Jennings would play 40+ minutes a game, so what do I know.

The difference between Jennings and Ridnour is really night and day, I can't believe there was even a thought to start Ridnour. Their 3rd PG, Okic or whatever is name is, looks pretty pathetic thus far.

I will also 2nd the idea to let Meeks play. At worst the guy is a good shooter. Its not like Redd had a complete game either. Even if Meeks is a bad defender and a so-so rebounder how is that any different than Redd? From what I saw from him at Kentucky, the guy can score.

Agreed the Meeks might as well get some burn now that Redd is out. He can't be any worse than Roko Ukic.

Bullox: I didn't even look at Johnson's stats, because they're largely irrelevant. He's an expiring. He also still has some upside, as he's very young (22). Delfino is what he is at this point, and Ukic is 25 iirc, so not much upside there either (he needs to improve a ton just to be good enough to even belong in the NBA). To make matters worse, Delfino is partially guaranteed next year, and Roko is fully guaranteed. Spending any additional money on players like that is flushing money down the toilet.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think if we don't do that trade, we could have Sessions and Johnson on this team instead of Ukic and Delfino. Sessions' scoring ability and Johnson's big body would probably have made the difference in the outcome of the game last night.

Yoshii: I was impressed with Ilyasova the home opener as well. He's definitely improved. (I read the post game thread on RealGM last night and people were saying he's even worse now. lol) I was just expecting a pretty big impact from him, given as well as he did in Europe. I'm gonna give him time though, no doubt about that. He's the only guy on this team that can pick and pop with young money.

The Bucks are getting a surprising amount of attention from non-Bucks fans among blog writers and podcasts that I follow, which is pretty cool.

My worry with Jennings is that no one has really paid attention to him from his year overseas, and once there's more video, it'll be easier to shut him down. That'll be the real test, sort of like when pitchers adapt to hitters. If Jennings can switch it up on defenders, he should have a good shot at ROY. The players I've seen listed ahead of him haven't done well so far. Griffin is out at least six weeks. Evans hasn't done well in his first few games, and Flynn is already losing minutes to Sessions.

This is kind of weird. I am actually excited to come home after work and watch Jennings play. I can't say I have felt that way about the Bucks since 2001. For whatever reason I also really like Warrick. Maybe it is because the Bucks actually have someone who can actually dunk.

I am still expecting them to win about 35-40 games, though. Get Jennings a running mate in next years draft and I would start to feel really confident about the Bucks.

Archived