Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2009–2010 (part 1)

milwaukeesportsfan

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I was able to get free tickets to yesterday's game and took my son who loves going to Buck's games. Not only was Houston red hot from 3 point range, but the Bucks were not even close on many of their shots. I love going to games with my son, but I kind of wish we would have stayed home and watched the American Olympic gold rush.

Also, I did not see any news about Brandon Jennings. He started the game hot, scoring the Bucks first 7 points. Then, about half way through the 1st Qtr he came out of the game and then went into the locker room for about 10 minutes. He seemed to play sparingly after that. I was curious as to what happened.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bucks and Sixers talking:

The Bucks and Sixers are in serious trade talks, according to Chad Ford of ESPN.

Jodie Meeks, Francisco Elson and a second round pick would be sent to Philadelphia for Primoz Brezec and Royal Ivey.

Read more: http://www.realgm.com/src...ade_talks/#ixzz0fuQmjUzi

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Since I'm not a big NBA watcher, are either of those guys anything to get excited about?

No, not at all. It makes zero sense from the Bucks perspective, I'm guessing they would be the ones getting the 2nd rounder, because they would be giving up the only guy who has a chance to be decent (Meeks).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

yoshii,

You are correct. Ford had it backwards - looks like the Bucks are receiving the 2nd round pick. Makes it slightly more palatable but still odd they are giving up on Meeks. Maybe they know something we don't.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

My guess would be that they have a deal for Ridnour in the works and needed a backup point guard. Even though Ivey is horrible, he can spell Jennings for a few minutes per game. Plus, the Bucks get a 2nd rounder that is a higher pick than where Meeks was drafted. The only way it makes sense is if they have a bigger deal in place with Ridnour.

My guess would be that they have a deal for Ridnour in the works and needed a backup point guard. Even though Ivey is horrible, he can spell Jennings for a few minutes per game. Plus, the Bucks get a 2nd rounder that is a higher pick than where Meeks was drafted. The only way it makes sense is if they have a bigger deal in place with Ridnour.
This had better be the case. I liked Meeks and basically they got nothing of value for him. My guess is Ridnour is on his way out for Murphy.

So along with Salmons, Hammond got the Bulls to give up their '11 and '12 2nd round picks, plus he has the option to swap 1st round picks in the '10 draft if it falls after the 10th spot. Along with the Sixers trade that gets the Bucks a high 2nd round pick in this years draft, they have some nice future picks and trade options. I don't mind seeing Meeks go as he would not get enough minutes this season or next given who is already on the roster.

So, does the depth chart now look a little like:

C - Bogut, Brezec, K Thomas

PF - Luc , Ersan, K Thomas

SF - Delfino, Stackhouse

SG - Salmons , Bell

PG - Jennings , Ridnour , Ivey ?

I actually like the deals, I think it makes the team a little more well-rounded and opens minutes for Luc and Ersan with Warrick out of the way.

Combined deals:

Leaving:

Hakim Warrick

Joe Alexander

Francisco Elson

Jodie Meeks

Incoming:

John Salmons

Primoz Brezec

Royal Ivey

option to switch 2010 first round pick with Bulls (if Bulls pick is not top 10)

2010 2nd rounder (76ers, or other?)

2011 Bulls 2nd rounder

2012 Bulls 2nd rounder

Nothing spectacular by any means, but solid moves I think, those 2nd rounders can turn out some nice surprises as shown lately. I wish Meeks would have had a little longer of a look, as I think he's got some upside, but all the rest are expirings, both coming in and going out, other than Salmons and hopefully he stays with his player option (I think he has one?)

i don't follow the NBA like you guys do, but I like the GM side of sports--so are the Bucks making these moves and trading expiring contracts so that they can better-secure a low-round playoff spot or are there some long-term plans going on here?

The majority of trades around the league right now are so teams can free up cap space to make big offers to a ridiculous class of free agents this summer (i.e. what the knicks bulls and clippers are doing right now). Because the bucks are hamstrung by huge contracts to Redd and Gadzuric, they can't put themselves in that position. Those contracts come off of the books after next season, so the bucks are positioning themselves to make big moves in the summer of 2011 to build around Jennings/Bogut. But the expiring contracts of Warrick, Elson, Alexander, etc are attractive to those teams who want flexibility this summer...so the bucks are using them to improve this year's team (Salmons) and make a run at the playoffs. None of the contracts they have taken on (or will take on if they keep trading) will be on the bucks after next season, so they will still have all of the flexibility they want after next season.

i don't follow the NBA like you guys do, but I like the GM side of sports--so are the Bucks making these moves and trading expiring contracts so that they can better-secure a low-round playoff spot or are there some long-term plans going on here?
It's a bit of both. They are definitely making a run at the playoffs, but so far none of the moves appear to hamper their future plans of clearing salary cap space for 2012. Their core of young, talented players is also still intact (Bogut, Jennings, LMAM), and they have extra future draft picks to hopefully add some nice bench talent with.

Typical Bucks. Make a "win now" trade that doesn't make us a sure fire playoff team and then make a minor move or two and just stop there. We're probably sitting as the 9th seed right now and that is the worst place to be in the NBA.

I don't know about that, I think Salmons is a huge upgrade at SG, and I thought we were going to make the playoffs before we got him.

I am disappointed we didn't get a PF upgrade, but I'm ok w/ Ersan and LRMAM getting the majority of the minutes. LRMAM has looked very good recently, and I think Ersan is going to be a legit starting PF eventually.

I'm not a big fan of Salmons as a player, but if you can get something for Joe Alexander with Warrick thrown in, I guess it's not a bad deal. You just hope that Salmons doesn't decline his player option and leave town early, leaving you with a hole at the position again.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

The Bucks are playing for the summer of 2011, but trying to remain as competitive as possible until then. Now, after next season:

http://lp.imageg.net/prod?set=key%5Bname%5D,value%5BbRYANT%5D&set=key%5Bnumber%5D,value%5B24%5D&set=key%5Bdisplaysize%5D,value%5B220%5D&load=url%5Bhttp://chains.imageg.net/graphics/dynamic/chains/p5322947_customback.chain%5D

I

don't know about that, I think Salmons is a huge upgrade at SG, and I

thought we were going to make the playoffs before we got him.

Salmons is definitely a huge upgrade - unfortunately, that isn't saying much. I'm not a fan of his at all, but he fills a need.

I like both moves. Chance to move ahead of the Bulls for #8 and still got two (small) contracts that will come off the books. Ok way to wait out the cap-room they will get after 2011.

We should all refelect on how truly stupid Larry Harris was. It was as if he was a Cylon agent working from within to bring down Battlestar Milwaukee (I'm still having a hard time letting the show go...sorry for my geek explosion).

Hammond isn't exactly a genius. The moves individually are fine, but together they're stupid. Salmons isn't enough to propel this team to the playoffs, especially with the schedule the rest of the year so the pick swap means nothing. So then we get three 2nds and Salmons for Warrick, Alexander, Meeks and Elson. Not exactly a great return.

What do you expect? Alexander is terrible, Meeks has had plenty of chances and has done nothing, and Elson is totally useless. Warrick is the only one who has any basketball value, and he was third on our depth chart. Yes, three of them were expirings, but none were nearly big enough to attract any serious talent in return. The Bucks gave up almost nothing to get something marginally useful.

I agree they gave up nothing and got a decent player back. Definitely a talent upgrade. And I'm sure you know that the nothings we traded only had value because of their expiring contracts. The names behind them are completely irrelevant. But Hammond only went half way in. He didn't choose a clear direction, which has been has MO during his tenure here. He left some expirings (K Thomas, Ridnour, Brezec, Ivey) on the table, and now we're gonna be in the dreaded 8th or 9th seed again.

The option to switch first round picks with the Bulls should have been a clear incentive to make a mini-run at a decent seed this year. Now, we're probably just gonna battle with them on who get's to get swept by Cleveland.

Archived