Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2009–2010 (part 1)

milwaukeesportsfan
  • Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does a buyout count towards the Bucks salary next year in terms of the salary cap? I haven't found anything that says it does or it doesn't count towards the cap or if only a portion counts. I would really consider buying out Redd's last year if I were the Bucks. Redd is just useless to the Bucks right now and he is taking up a roster spot that someone else could be filling for next year. I believe the Bucks will have a good team next year with Bogut, Jennings, and a lottery pick player. I wish Redd would have stayed healthy this year and the Bucks would have been able to dump Redd in a trade for something of value or anything but it looks now that Redd is done and he is not worth the contract that he has right now. I really believe the Bucks have to look at buying out Redd's final year next season or the Bucks are going to be strapped for salary cap space and probably won't be able to sign their draft pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think insurance covers about $14million of it if he doesn't play but that number still counts towards the cap.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Overreacting fans are awesome. You really think they were an absolute mess last night?

No. I think they've been a complete mess since their 8-3 start. Sure, they made a nice run last night and it actually became an entertaining game (that's why I had a strong reaction to it), but once again, this team doesn't have any chance to compete this year.

I'm not a guy who's a perpetual "tanker" and wants to punt entire seasons like some people advocate doing. I was for the RJ trade at the time, Bogut's extension, and a bunch of other win now moves. But once this team shows that it can't compete, which is usually by January, I'm ready to sell of assets to look toward the next season. I was for dumping RJ at the deadline last year (when he turned out to be garbage) to set up payroll flexibility for the offseason. I'm for exploring Bogut trades to possible contenders, where he's much more valuable, because let's face it, he's not a top 2 player on a contending team. He's just not that talented. I'd trade any of our expirings that have value (Ridnour, Warrick).

And it's absurd that you feel the need to mock me for overreacting to a day where this franchise had its max player go down with a second acl tear in a one year period, have it's coach go to the hospital for a irregular heartbeat , and lose a very winnable game to a Phoenix team that we never beat away.

I hope Bogut isn't traded, he's definitely a starting center on a contending team, and I believe one of the best centers in the league and is only 25 or 26 years old. I hope Hammond builds around Jennings, Bogut and Ersan. I would make anybody else available. I think Ridnour has to have a lot of value w/ the way he's played this season, and Warrick probably has some value also.

I really hope that Skiles starts giving the young guys like LRMAM, Meeks and Ersan more playing time instead of Bell, Delfino and the other guys who are most likely not long term pieces. I think Hammond needs to stop thinking about the 8th spot in the east and start looking more towards building a strong young core of players.

Nate, his expiring contract will probably have value next year because 80% of it is probably going to be covered by insurance. So I don't think a buyout really makes sense.
Depends will Redd's insurance on his contract be covered if he is on IR or does he have to be on the active roster but just rehabbing for the insurance to cover it?

I agree though with your other point about Ridnour he maybe someone the Bucks can trade during the deadline and pickup a nice player or a draft pick. Would be a late round draft pick though. There are quite a few teams out there that will need a veteran PG to come off the bench for them. I'm just not sure who the Bucks could get for Ridnour though.

And it's absurd that you feel the need to mock me for overreacting to a day where this franchise had its max player go down with a second acl tear in a one year period, have it's coach go to the hospital for a irregular heartbeat , and lose a very winnable game to a Phoenix team that we never beat away.
I didn't think you were overreacting specifically to yesterday - you said "As usual, this team is an absolute mess by the new year" and then advocated trading our best player (who happens to be on a very reasonable contract). Should the Brewers have traded Ryan Braun last year because things didn't go smoothly? I don't understand why anybody would want to trade Bogut, even the tank/rebuild crowd. He's one of maybe 3 or 4 above average players on the roster - those are the guys you want to keep.

On a side note, the Bucks should take a serious look at Greg Stiemsma for their backup center next year. He's coming back from injury right now, but was really starting to dominate the D-League right before. Offense is a work in progress, but he's looking like an NBA player.

This team needs a scoring guard, pure and simple... just not enough options. When Ridnour is your best option on offense you have a problem. Adding a guy like Ray Allen in his prime would probably make this a 50 win team.

So is BJ not a scoring guard? Again...how many teams have had a ton of long-term success with a scoring PG and scoring SG. I know there are a handful, but I don't think this is how you really build around BJ. I think they need more scoring in general, but you are essentially asking for a healthy Redd, right?

This team needs a scoring guard, pure and simple... just not enough options. When Ridnour is your best option on offense you have a problem. Adding a guy like Ray Allen in his prime would probably make this a 50 win team.

No way this is a 50 win team if you added a Ray Allen in his prime to the roster. Maybe around 40-42 wins, but this roster is littered with holes. They have a rookie PG playing extremely inconsistent basketball except for consistently shooting a terrible percentage. They don't have a starting caliber SG. They don't have a starting caliber SF. Ersan has some intriguing qualities for the future and has been solid, but at this current time, he's a below average starting PF. Andrew Bogut is a very good defensive center and can have some nice offensive games, but fives years in, Bogut still can't be counted on to provide consistent high quality games night after night. The bench stinks besides Ridnour.

So is BJ not a scoring guard? Again...how many teams have had a ton of long-term success with a scoring PG and scoring SG. I know there are a handful, but I don't think this is how you really build around BJ. I think they need more scoring in general, but you are essentially asking for a healthy Redd, right?

Jennings no question has a scoring mentality and i'm fine with that from a PG, but not if the PG is shooting under 40% nearly every night. I still have hope for Jennings and don't regret the pick at all, but he really needs to work on a few things going forward

1. Shot selection. Yea the lack of offense on the roster contributes to him shooting to much, but he's still taking way to many shots that aren't a good enough percentage to go in.

2. Penetrating the paint and dishing. To high of a percentage of his trips into the paint result in shots he misses instead of beating his man off the dribble and dishing to open players after defenses converge on Brandon.

3. Finishing inside when he shoots instead of passing. His jumper is better than i expected, especially from three point land, but he's terrible at finishing in the paint. Sure some of that is from being a rookie, his slight frame, and lack of calls by the refs, but it does have to improve greatly or he'll end up just struggling to meet expectations for himself. It's not a given either that Brandon with get better at finishing, former Buck TJ Ford never did.

He's a horribly inefficient scorer.

He is only in his rookie year as well though.

Jennings no question has a scoring mentality and i'm fine with that from a PG, but not if the PG is shooting under 40% nearly every night. I still have hope for Jennings and don't regret the pick at all, but he really needs to work on a few things going forward

I agree. I think it makes it difficult knowing what type of 2 the team needs right now. Obviously a scoring 2 is never a bad thing, but I just don't know exactly what type of 2 would fit now and long-term. Maybe just a jump shooter that doesn't need to take a ton of shots every game and plays some solid defense would be ideal? In other words, I really don't want to take the ball out of BJ's hands (if he develops like I think he will) and have a 2 that needs the ball a lot to create his own shots. That's not a bad thing if it happens, but I think BJ is going to be a playmaker for years to come.

I've mostly been a fan of what Hammond has done; but I'm not sure where he's going with this. I'm all for competing while building a team because I think it helps organizational culture and I"m not convinced that "selling out" for a high high draft pick pays off all that often/all that well; but Redd's injury plus the way this team has played should equal "waive the white flag" as far as personell moves in my opinion.

Archived