Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks Thread 2009–2010 (part 1)

milwaukeesportsfan

Wow, I thought I might get a few rips from the NBA crew here, but now that I've refreshed the thread, I see we are all in agreement.

I'm glad I don't go to games because seeing those Laker jerseys in the crowd would set me off like a Cubs jersey at Miller Park.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a high school basketball referee myself, we always talk about double-whistle situations, and how you wait a few seconds before making the block charge call. We do that in order to avoid the "blarge", where one guy has a block, another has a charge. Whoever's primary the play came from, that's who makes the call.

But I never, and I mean NEVER see NBA refs do that. That is what makes what they did so frustrating. They knew it was Kobe who initiated the contact, but no one wanted to man up and make the correct call. If it was any other Laker player, it's a charge, no doubt. The NBA as a whole and its referee's are a joke. It's just absurd.

Follow me on Twitter

Kobe=$$ to Stern.

The Bucks= a shrug.

Kobe gets every call just like Jordan used to...that is why I hate them both.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I don't know how anyone - fan of the game or not - can watch an NBA game and not think that the refs do their very best to make sure one team wins in a close game.

OK, I'm done now. That game just really pissed me off, man.

3TO Apostle

Wow, I thought I might get a few rips from the NBA crew here, but now that I've refreshed the thread, I see we are all in agreement.

I'm glad I don't go to games because seeing those Laker jerseys in the crowd would set me off like a Cubs jersey at Miller Park.

Yeah, what the hell was the roaring cheer at the end of the game all about? I was wondering why the place was a morgue sans Squad 6 tonite, but I guess there is a large amount of Laker fans in Milwaukee. Who knew.

burnie: This is how the reffing is nearly every night. I always get ticked off at the MLB umps during the season, but it's amazing how good we have it in baseball compared to this crap. Hopefully Donaghy's book blows up and Stern is forced to step down. The only games that a reffed somewhat fair are games like Bucks v Timberwolves, or Bucks v Memphis. No superstar or big market to appease in matchups like that.

I've always thought the refs in the NBA were biased.

Donaghy's issues didn't help and my thoughts on the NBA have not changed after watching tonight's game. Not saying they're gambling, but they do prefer the stars.

I'm going back to ignoring the NBA and wishing people cared about hockey.....

This is why I spend my money on Admirals games and apparel and not on the Bucks. I'm not putting any money in that crook Stern's pockets.

Somebody in the media really needs to step up and interview Donaghy better than what they did on 60 minutes. There's no doubt Donaghy is telling the truth, he just needs someplace to say it.

The ref's are terrible. Simply terrible. Bill Simmons wrote about the 2001 Bucks series this week: (scroll down to number 10)

If crooked NBA playoff series were heavyweight boxers, then the 2002 Western finals (Lakers-Kings) was George Foreman and the 2001 Eastern finals (Bucks-Sixers) was Earnie Shavers. Translation: People remember only George, but Earnie was almost as memorable. To briefly recap, Philly's wins in Games 1 and 4 swung on a controversial lane violation and two egregious no-calls. The Sixers finished with advantages of 186-120 in free throws, 12-3 in technicals and 5-0 in flagrant fouls. Glenn Robinson, one of Milwaukee's top-two scorers, didn't even attempt a free throw until Game 5. Bucks coach George Karl and star Ray Allen were fined a combined $85,000 after the series for claiming the NBA rigged it. In that game, Milwaukee's best big man, Scott Williams, was charged with a flagrant foul but not thrown out, only to be suspended, improbably, for Game 7.

The defining game: When Philly stole a must-win Game 4 in Milwaukee despite an atrocious performance from Iverson (10-for-32 shooting), helped by a 2-to-1 free-throw advantage and a host of late calls. How one-sided was it? When an official called a harmless touch foul to send Sam Cassell to the line with two seconds left and the Bucks trailing by seven (maybe the all-time we-need-to-pad-the-free-throw-stats-so-they-don't-seem-so-lopsided-afterward call), the subsequent sarcastic standing ovation nearly morphed into the first-ever sarcastic riot. And this was Milwaukee, the most easygoing city in the country! Nobody remembers this. The real loser was Allen, who exploded for 190 points in the series, including a record nine threepointers in do-or-die Game 6. Nobody remembers this, either. Even I didn't remember it. Crap.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Kohl should grow a pair for once and have Stern appear before a senate sub committee.

(Kidding, but I think someone with dough should at least investigate these guys)

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I had good seats at center-court for this game, so I watched every second. Not a doubt in my mind that this game was rigged. The TWO lane violations on Gasol's free-throws, the unconscionable sequence in the final minute, missing the kicked ball violation, among others. There's not a doubt in my mind that Donaghy is telling the truth. Let's face it, nothing is going to change until Stern goes away. He's responsible for everything (this is why I laugh when people complain about Bud. At least his umpires aren't fixing games!).

I don't even care about the Laker fans. Unlike the Cubs fans, these people aren't real fans, just a bunch of frontrunning toolsheds. They'll never know the true joy of winning a championship. Again, I'll blame this on Stern. He created this star-culture and these types of fans inevitably ensued.

I know people around here think ESPN is awful and hates Milwaukee, small markets, etc. The ESPN NBA halftime show did agree with posters here though...the refs screwed up. They agreed a travel should've been called and a charge should've been called...if the travel call was just 'missed'.

trwi7 wrote:

Somebody in the media really needs to step up and interview Donaghy better than what they did on 60 minutes. There's no doubt Donaghy is telling the truth, he just needs someplace to say it.

He was on Tony Bruno's show on Fox Radio last night (or Mon). Good interview, but I was 1/2 alseep and can't recall what was all said.

I had good seats at center-court for this game, so I watched every second. Not a doubt in my mind that this game was rigged. The TWO lane violations on Gasol's free-throws, the unconscionable sequence in the final minute, missing the kicked ball violation, among others. There's not a doubt in my mind that Donaghy is telling the truth. Let's face it, nothing is going to change until Stern goes away. He's responsible for everything (this is why I laugh when people complain about Bud. At least his umpires aren't fixing games!).

I don't even care about the Laker fans. Unlike the Cubs fans, these people aren't real fans, just a bunch of frontrunning toolsheds. They'll never know the true joy of winning a championship. Again, I'll blame this on Stern. He created this star-culture and these types of fans inevitably ensued.

To be fair, I think the second one was legit. But that's rarely called, especially close and late.

I don't blame people for not spending money on the Bucks based on principle, but I think that hurts the Bucks more than the league as a whole.

You're right, but I think Artest stepped into the lane first and it's rarely called, especially in that situation.

Keep going to Bucks games. I love the team, but I hate the cronies that run the league.

Yep, that would be like an ump calling a runner safe because the 2B didn't actually touch the base when turning the double play. You just don't call it late unless you have some ulterior motive.

Kobe (and Lebron) IS the NBA.

Calls don't go against him.

PERIOD.

Kobe (and Lebron) IS the NBA.

Calls don't go against him.

PERIOD.

When who was that ref that got caught gambling on the game did an interview on Fox News I believe it was you have to start questioning the refs in the NBA. I believe he said that certain players get treated differently and that star players will get calls their way or someone else will get a foul that they committed. He also said that it came from the top of the league to do this kind of officiating.

I believe the suspicions that everyone had about the refs and the NBA actually fixing games is somewhat true. Kobe, Lebron, and the other bigger stars in the league will get calls no one else will get. I believe Lebron calls his walks crab dribbles or something like that and the NBA is seriously thinking of allowing Lebron to do that and not call it a travel. I really hate David Stern and I can't wait for him to get out as the NBA's commissioner I do not see the love that the media and a lot of the NBA fans have for David Stern. Stern has never once tried to fix the ref problem in the NBA I believe he actually encourages it. I believe that Stern is the worst commissioner in sports.

It is rather disgusting that players like Lebron and Kobe can get away with this stuff and get fouls that should be going against them but never do and they actually get a call in their favor.

I'm amazed at how upset I am about this game. Not because the Bucks lost, but because I was beginning to get excited about them after swearing off the NBA for years. Tonight brought me back to why I swore off the NBA. I hate the fact that when my brother-in-law (an LA born and bred Lakers fan) says "you don't get that call against Kobe" he's right and it's not because it's the right call, it's because he's Kobe. There are two seperate sets of rules and the have-nots play by a stricter set of rules than the haves. I really want to like the Bucks and fight to keep them in town, but until the NBA figures out how to put a fair product on the floor I will try not to feel too invested.

I have no idea how David Stern sleeps at night.
on a pile of money.

just the other day i was thinking about how i've suddenly become interested in the NBA again. This game was the first NBA game I've watched in its entirety since the 2001 semifinals against the 76ers. Toward the end of the 4th I was remembering again why it's hard to watch the NBA. Being Brewers fans, we're already used to rooting for a team that is always the underdog based on economics. The Bucks are the same in other ways, but made so much worse when we also have to overcome obvious bias and essentially altering the rules to help us lose.

Archived