Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey
  • Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drew actually was given a team that looked on paper a playoff team. He had some tough injury breaks but his rotations were awful and he is far from the guy I want to develop these young kids. One night Giannis would play 25 minutes, the following game he would play 5. Sanders before first injury was barely getting the minutes he needed to. Henson minutes were all over the place. Even Middleton who at one point was a large percent of the offense saw his minutes bouncing all around. No consistency at all. Injuries i know hurt that but when when health wasn't to bad it drove me crazy.

I think its all about the vision the new owners have. They want to build from ground up. They want a new high energy coach to help develop these kids. They want a bigger name. Jason Kidd knows basketball that is for sure. I would have been nice if he would have gone the traditional path to get to where he is but I think he could really help develop the young guys. He is a competitor and a teacher. I'm just thinking of the great things he could do for Knight alone. He was not a player who had a 20 year career and a future hall of famer because he was so naturally gifted as an athlete. He was smart, a leader, hard nosed, hustler, and team player. That is what he can help bring to the team. Also I think he is much better suited to coach the Bucks than the Nets. The Nets have a lot of older guys who were his peers and fellow all-stars for along time. When a guy goes from being your peer to coach next day that is tough transition. I'm sure KG and Pierce, etc respected him but it is much different coaching guys you have played with for long time to coaching young kids who just remember watching you when you were young. I mean our core 5 players are Sanders 25, Henson 23/24, Knight 22/23, Giannis 19, Parker 19 then mix in Middleton 23/24 Wolter 22/23, Inglis 19, O'Bryant 21/22, Mayo 26 Ersan 27......We are a young team and after we move a couple of pieces maybe even younger. Think it is a perfect situation for Kidd

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

Also Hammond I believe needs a year. Due to Kohl he was force to always keep the team competitive and rebuild. He has always been a solid drafter. Impressive he landed Sanders, Henson, Giannis all in the mid to late teens. He made a great trade to get ride of my least favorite Buck ("franchise player") that I can recall in my 26 years of life.....Brandon Jennings. We landed Knight who I like way better than Jennings along with a great bench piece (even though he is better when he start) in Middleton. I want to see what he can do building from ground up as compared to having to do just enough to be competitive for last spot in playoffs

I wouldn't mind Kidd if he hadn't looked like such a prick in his first year and now demanding more responsibility? He got his lead assistant canned for god knows what reason; he took what was expected to be a very good team and made them a #6 seed with an early exit, and then he demanded he take over GM responsibilities as well? On top of that he actively pursued a job that was not open. That's 4 strikes right there.

Maybe Kidd ends up being a good fit; but his tenure as a coach has been an absolute disaster and he is going to a team that demands patience. From what I can tell Kidd has basically no patience at all. If screws up Giannis and Parker by putting too much on them I am going to be so pissed. I would have rather stuck with Drew.

Yeah I don't like it. On the surface I don't really care that they are giving up 2015 and 2109 2nd round picks since we do have 5!! 2nd round picks in 2015; but Kidd doesn't strike me as a guy teams should be falling over to get. But I suppose hiring just retired players with minimal to no head coaching experience is the thing to do nowadays.

It just seems really unprofessional if he was really not only trying to take the Philly GM job but also Drew's job. It should not surprise anyone if he has worn out his welcome within 1-2 years at MIL. This is a rebuilding team and he doesn't have the patience for it. I shutter to think what he would do to the roster if he were to become GM.

Looks like the new owners really want Kidd coach and develop our young team, I find that Kidd can do a much better job than Drew. So far the new owners have been making all the right moves, I give them the benefit of doubt until they proof me otherwise.

Let's give Kidd a year and evaluate his performance, almost nothing can be worse than Drew's performance last season. Hammond and Drew were hired by the previous ownership, can't blame the new ownership for wanting to hire their own choices.

This month of June has been very exciting for Bucks Fan, it's a new era.

What could Drew have done better last season? He was given a train wreck of a team that had injuries all over the place. If you need anyone to blame for last year you blame Hammond.

If I were Hammond I would already be looking for another job; if his new bosses are making his basketball decisions for him after only about a month on the job that is probably a good sign things aren't going to get better for him.

The new owners certainly look like they are going to be the meddling type.

Actually almost every prediction had Bucks in playoffs again as a 6-8 seed. So he wasn't given the worst team ever. He had to deal with a lot of ijuries and that hurt but his rotations killed any chance of the team developing chemistry.

We all knew Drew wasn't the guy of the future. Lets not kid ourselves. With new owners and fresh start, they wanted their guy and they got him in Kidd. Why have Giannis and Parker waste another year learning a system that will not be around very long? Kidd will be a great mentor for the young guys. I have never once heard bad things about him has a teammate, leader, or mentor in his later career. He knows the game and I think a lot of the kids will look up to him. He is a hall of fame guy they saw growing up.

What could Drew have done better last season?

Run any semblance of an offense besides have Knight dribble for 20 seconds before firing up a shot or passing to somebody with almost no time left. That would've been a good start.

Run any semblance of an offense besides have Knight dribble for 20 seconds before firing up a shot or passing to somebody with almost no time left. That would've been a good start.

Well how much of that had to do with the lack of offensive talent on the team? Hammond put together a team with no one that could create its own shot and traded for a shoot first PG. What did he expect? Jennings basically did the same thing while he was here so it wasn't new to Drew.

I am not saying I am in love with Drew or anything I just think its crummy that he got run out of town like this and never really got the chance to coach a competent team.

Well how much of that had to do with the lack of offensive talent on the team?

Just because there was a lack of offensive talent doesn't excuse the lack of sets. Having Giannis, a tall, athletic guy who's a good passer basically standing there when he was on the court did nothing for his development or help the offense at all.

As far as feeling bad for Drew about how this was handled.

Woody has never been one for PC so you can assume he’s being sincere. And that’s why it’s telling that he went out of his way to express gratitude for Hawks owners while staying silent on the topic of Larry Drew, his former-assistant-turned-successor as Hawks coach.

“We haven’t talked,” Woodson said. “I just want to talk about basketball. Let’s keep it that way.”

Drew confirmed that the two haven’t talked since Woodson left, and it’s not hard to figure why.

To get his first head-coaching job, Drew had to convince Hawks owners that he would do things differently than Woodson. Drew also told the owners he had ideas that Woodson never implemented–ideas that the owners also favored.

You can see why that might lead Woody to think his old friend and former teammate turned on him. But the bigger problem, according to Woody confidants, is that Woody believes Drew was making his case to be head coach with the team’s owners while Woody still had the job.

So there’s no longer a relationship between Drew and Woodson.

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2012/03/30/atlanta-hawks-mike-woodson-larry-drew-not-on-speaking-terms/

Well how much of that had to do with the lack of offensive talent on the team? Hammond put together a team with no one that could create its own shot and traded for a shoot first PG. What did he expect? Jennings basically did the same thing while he was here so it wasn't new to Drew.

I am not saying I am in love with Drew or anything I just think its crummy that he got run out of town like this and never really got the chance to coach a competent team.

They shot the fewest corner 3's in the league, and gave up the highest % of 3's in the league. Both of those are because of how Drew let his team play offense and defense.

They show a complete inability to coach in the modern NBA.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So his work with a pretty solid Atlanta team doesn't count for anything. What has Kidd done that proves he is anymore competent than Drew? The only thing Kidd has done is led a team many picked to be very good to a #6 seed in a mediocre eastern conference, got his lead assistant fired 2 weeks after the season started, and basically got himself fired by the Nets for trying to gain more power.

Kidd will be a great mentor for the young guys.

You don't know that. So far, he has shown nothing but a desire to look out for himself. When things got tough in NJ, he threw his friend under the bus. Then when they had a better 2nd half and made the playoffs he tried his coup attempt at the GM job. I don't think we have any idea what kind of coach he will be, other than there are plenty of warning signs.

Look, I don't care one way or the other if Drew came back for a year. I do think he did a decent job navigating mixed signals on tanking/ not tanking. Any given night he had no idea who would be on the floor. I pretty much figured he would be shown the door, I just don't like Kidd- but I hope I'm wrong.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't really feel bad for Drew but that doesn't mean I have to like how things went down. Not to mention...Kidd is a certified jerk.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Drew took over a pretty good Atlanta team and really didn't progress them with all the talent they had, hence why they didn't bring him back. Kidd had a rough start to the season, took awhile to form an identity and get team on same page. Literally they were brutal to start! 10-21. However, he got them fixed and they finished the season 34-17 I believe. A horrible coach doesn't get that ship turned around.

As far as the power play... what coach doesn't want that. Why are the Spurs so good? Pop gets to bring in the perfect people that fit exactly what he wants to do. It is like Bo Ryan. Badgers are good because Bo brings in 5 star recruits; he brings in guys who fit his offensive and defensive scheme. Would Bo Ryan be as good if he had a guy over his shoulders bringing in guys that counter what Bo wants or don't fit his scheme? Phil Jackson also had the kind of freedom. It is hard to succeed as a coach when you are feed piece that don't fit your puzzle. Kidd wants to be able to build a team around what he wants. Bring in the guys he needs to be successful. I will not fault him for that at all.

Hopefully him and Hammond can get on the same page and work together. Hammond was outstanding with Skiles (who I think is an excellent coach) he brought in the type of guys Skiles wanted and need. Issue with Drew last year was when Hammond over turned the lineup, it didn't really fit Drews style...which could be why no Bucks fan still has a clue what type of Identity he was going for.

Archived