Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey

Regardless of whether or not the Bucks want to pick Wiggins they need to spend the next week doing everything they can to indicate they are going to take him. If Philly wants Wiggins as badly as recent reports indicate then you have to take advantage of it. Even if all you get is a protected first round pick two years from now it's better than nothing considering you get the guy you were going to pick anyway.

I am torn between the safe pick / better fit (Parker) and the potential superstar / not as good as a fit pick in Wiggins. (not saying that Parker cannot be a superstar in this league, I just see less of a chance).

If Wiggins can handle the 2 I think he'd actually be the better fit. He's better defensively and Parker is a little small to play the 4 from what I hear.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course, there's always the possibility Philly is pulling everyone's leg. Any GM, organization, etc. in any sport doesn't like to show their hand. Same thing with Cleveland and Embiid. A story gets floated and then passed around, and we all buy it. So, as always, we have no idea. We certainly had no clue who Cleveland took #1 overall last year right?

Doesn't matter where he wants to play, if Bucks pick him, he will have to man up and make most of it for 5 years.

But it does matter if you expect this pick to be the cornerstone of the franchise for 10+ years.

They are all ideally small forwards. They also have Middleton, Henson, and Ersan to fit in somewhere as well. Really forward heavy. Once of Parker or Giannis would probably have to play SG

Honestly, this does not matter a bit. You need to acquire the best talent and make it work. Some of these guys won't be around in a year or two anyhow. Depending on matchups, etc. Parker/Wiggins and Giannis can be on the floor at the same time plenty. Not to mention they need to sub in and out. Lots of minutes to go around.

The cornerstone comment is completely irrelevant. If we can't win games by the time his 5 years is up he has every right to find better employment if he is disapointed. If anything taking Wiggins will force the Bucks to not be complacent and work their butts off to make sure they win and don't ever have to deal with a "leave or not leave situation." Parker is a complacency pick IMO.

I would be happy with either Parker or Wiggins. Too many red flags with Embiid, first he hurts his back and now he had a foot injury. I would put Exum a notch below as he hasn't played against top competition and seems to be more of a combo guard at the moment. Plus, have seen some mixed reports from scouts, but have never really seen him play, so for all I know he could end up being the best player in the draft.

So now that Embiid probably has a broken foot this could work out perfectly for the Bucks.

Wiggins will never make it to Philly at #3 so if they really want him they will need to trade up with Bucks or Cavs. Bucks at #3 could still take the risk and take Embiid despite a back injury and now a foot injury (Hello Greg Oden) or they could pick Exum at #3 as a PG of the future and hopefully pick up another lottery pick this year or next year.

If Embiid's injury is serious enough I can't imagine him going Top 2 anymore and that really puts Philly in a bind. They already have Nerlens Noel as a C project and Michael Carter Williams as their PG; so Embiid or Exum for them might not make a ton of sense although when you suck you don't draft for need. They might get desperate enough to give up that 10th pick to move up to 1 or 2. I am guessing CLE would take Wiggins though; so Philly would bypass the #2 spot and go straight for #1.

The cornerstone comment is completely irrelevant. If we can't win games by the time his 5 years is up he has every right to find better employment if he is disapointed.

You say that likes it a given Wiggins would stay after 5 years if they're winning. Why? He may very well want out of town no matter what. I don't know that's the case, but that's the type of thing you have to take into account.

I get what you're saying about Parker being a complacency pick. Part of me agrees with you on that. Then again, I keep hearing the "experts" say he can step in and score 20 a game immediately. Do you know how many guys averaged 20 a game in the NBA last year? Only 15. I could work with that.

The cornerstone comment is completely irrelevant. If we can't win games by the time his 5 years is up he has every right to find better employment if he is disapointed.

You say that likes it a given Wiggins would stay after 5 years if they're winning. Why? He may very well want out of town no matter what. I don't know that's the case, but that's the type of thing you have to take into account.

I get what you're saying about Parker being a complacency pick. Part of me agrees with you on that. Then again, I keep hearing the "experts" say he can step in and score 20 a game immediately. Do you know how many guys averaged 20 a game in the NBA last year? Only 15. I could work with that.

Money. No player leaves after 5 years. They leave after 7 at the earliest.

To stay for 5 years, the player would have to forgo his initial extension, accept the qualifying offer (at a likely lower salary) and then play out that year without any further seasons of guaranteed money to become an unrestricted free agent.

For first-round draft picks, restricted free agency is only allowed after a team exercises its option for a fourth year, and the team makes a Qualifying Offer at the Rookie-scale amount after the fourth year is completed.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Said this once and I'll say it again, big guys are too risky now. They rarely hold up and the game is getting smaller and faster. I think you have to concentrate on building around guards and forwards and find big guy role players. I miss the big centers battling down low!

This has to take Embiid off the Bucks' board. Supposedly the Cavs like Parker, but if they were able to get 3 and 10 from Philly, they'd probably be able to snag Embiid and still have another lottery pick, which is a nice haul. As for the Bucks, you have to think that it's going to be either Parker or Wiggins at this point. Personally, I'm not sure which one I prefer. Kind of reminds me off the Allen/Marbury debate way back when where Parker is safe and Wiggins is flashy. Lots of Bucks fans were upset when they settled for Ray, but that turned out pretty well. It's going to be an interesting week for sure.

If this really does take Embiid off the Bucks board, that leaves us with Wiggins or Parker. Which is what I wanted all along. I really like Wiggins but now I think Cleveland will almost certainly draft him.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm fine with Drew for another year. Might as well play for the lottery again. Can him after next year.

As for Wiggins or Parker I'm fine with either one. Both have very high floors - they'll both probably start in the league for 10 years for sure. As for the higher ceiling, I guess it's Wiggins based on athleticism but I also think Parker's defense is better than people are saying. It's not like he's Jimmer Fredette or anything.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

If this really does take Embiid off the Bucks board, that leaves us with Wiggins or Parker. Which is what I wanted all along. I really like Wiggins but now I think Cleveland will almost certainly draft him.

latest rumor is Utah trading favors and #5 for the #1 pick (Jazz taking Parker), which I can't see Cleveland doing. Still think Wiggins #1, Parker #2,

I agree that the drop from #1 to #5 isn't covered by Derrick Favors in return. At #1 you can get potentially a franchise player; at #5 you are looking at Julius Randle or Marcus Smart. Those two can be good players but it isn't worth it to bypass Wiggins for them.

If they offered #5 and Favors to the Bucks I might at least consider it. Maybe they get Exum at #5, plug Favors into the rotation and trade some combination of Sanders, Ersan, Knight, or Henson for more draft picks.

I wouldn't bucks need a superstar. Whatever you get at 5 and Favors does not equal parker or wiggins.

If you don't think its a good deal for Cleveland, than its not a good deal for the bucks at #2. I know Cleveland has much more depth than the bucks, but I still would go for a home run rather than 2 doubles.

I highly doubt that Embiid falls any further than to 5. For a team in full tank mode, he is the ideal pick, and the risk/reward is there for the 4 or 5 pick.

I saw a couple mocks with him falling to 10. I agree he is a great high risk high reward type guy for a team in full tank mode

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/21/report-cavaliers-leaning-toward-selecting-jabari-parker-with-no-1-pick-in-nba-draft/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

Just for fun another rumor. This one says Cleveland is leaning towards taking Parker first overall. I think that would be ideal for the Bucks. With Parker gone and Wiggins still available you call Philly, tell them you're taking Wiggins and tell them if they want him they can pony up #3 and #10 (maybe swap second rounders to give Philly a little more). They take Wiggins which leaves you plenty of options. Exum or Embiid most likely at 3. Then at 10 you get a SG like Stauskus or Harris or another forward like Gordon, Randle or Saric.

And maybe they can even move Sanders to get another lottery pick.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Embiid could be akin to San Antonio drafting Robinson when they knew he had a commitment to the Navy. They tanked again and took Tim Duncan. Now they've won 5 NBA titles since then.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived