Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey
Isn't having the #2 pick in a top-4 or top-3-heavy kind of draft class a pretty good place to be? I can't help but think back to Glenn Robinson --> Jason Kidd --> Grant Hill
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the only positive thing here is that hopefully the Cavs draft Embiid. I'd be way to worried about drafting an already injured big (see Oden, Greg. see also Bowie, Sam).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd have been happy with anything in the top 4.....so I would have been happy no matter what.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't see any scenario where the Cavs do not draft Wiggins

I feel the same way. After completely botching last year's top pick I don't see Cleveland taking another chance on Embiid. I see Cleveland taking Wiggins as he probably has the most upside and has been considered "the next Lebron" since he was a sophomore in HS.

After that it would be interesting to see what the Bucks do. Assuming Wiggins goes to Cleveland, if I were the Bucks I'd call Philly and see how badly they want Parker. I'd tell them we are going to take Parker. If you want him give us 3 and 10. That would still get us our choice of Embiid, Exum or Randle plus another quality player (Harris, Smart, Young, McDermott) at 10. If Parker and Wiggins separate themselves as the clear cut top 2 guys in the draft that #2 pick could be worth a king's ransom.

Can't complain too much about third, but Cleveland winning the "lottery" 3 times in 4 years (and 4 times in 11 years) is pretty ridiculous. I think the NBA has made up to them enough already for Lebron leaving. I thought I didn't care, but I would have been much happier with Wiggins, who I assume the Cavs take. Though looking at mocks...it seems clear that nobody really knows.

ESPN seems to think Embiid will be the Bucks pick if he is there - that doesn't make me overly happy. He seems to have a lot of red flags and we seemingly have a bunch of defense first big men already.

CBS seems to think Cleveland can't possibly pass on Embiid with Wiggins going to the Bucks. It also has us drafting CJ Wilcox, Isiah Austin and Russ Smith in the second round.

Yahoo has Parker 1, Wiggins 2 and Embiid 3.

I'll be happy with either Wiggins or Parker. If it's either Exum or Embiid I'm throwing things and flipping tables and never watching another game.

If they pick Parker, the tweener who doesn't play defense over Exum or Embiid I'll be throwing things and flipping tables.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think its simple, if wiggins is on the board take him, if not take parker. Embid may turn into a Dwight howard type player but the bucks can't mess this up with a greg oden type player.

This isn't a draft like last year with more questions than answers. if the 2nd prize is a parker its not bad. He is from Chicago and as a devout Mormon he is not going to complain about the lack of Milwaukee night life. could be a great fit.

If they pick Embiid I am going to be so pissed. Draft Wiggins or Parker you idiots. It almost seems like a lock that whomever drafts Embiid and especially if he is drafted above Wiggins and/or Parker is going to regret it. Drafting big men just seems much more risky; especially those who have 1 year of CBB and have dealt with a back injury already as a 19 year old

Bucks desperately need offensive firepower and Wiggins and Parker would be great fits IMO. Wiggins would be my first choice.

I agree 100%. Unfortunately from what I keep reading, the Bucks really like Embiid. I wonder if the Cavs can somehow convince themselves they need him - they actually already have a ton of scoring on that team as it is without much of an inside presence.

I would rank them Parker, Embiid, Wiggins, Exxum. I just do not see the love for Wiggins, I think his athleticism will blend into the NBA and I can't stand his decision making offensively. I want no part of Exxum based on the limited amount I've seen mostly because he's quick, but not quick enough to make up for the fact that he can't shoot a lick. Embiid is risky but I love what he brings to the table physically, especially balance, footwork and touch. Honestly, I like Randle better than Wiggins and Smart better than Exxum.

There's been talk the Jazz (5th, 23rd, 35th) might look to package their picks to move up. Would the 2nd pick be enough to acquire all 3 of their picks? What else do you think the Bucks might have to add to the deal to receive all 3 picks? I would be a big fan of a deal acquiring all 3 of the Jazz' selections. I'd target Randle or Exum (whichever drops to 5) as Parker plays the same position as Giannis, and a Knight/Exum backcourt I think could really score and would provide some height with both being ball handlers. If Randle was the pick, hopefully he'd be a 18/10 PF type bruiser inside which the team really needs. Henson and Sanders are so skinny, would be nice to have some bulk up front. With already having the 31, 36, and 48, if they could add those two extra selections, they could either load up on talent (but I don't think there are many roster spots open right now), or make some deals for 2015 picks, or package multiple selections to move back up in the draft this year. If they stand pat at 2, I'm really hoping it's Wiggins. I think his game will really excel in the league.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's funny. Over at RealGM there is a very vocal contingent that absolutely hates Parker.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's funny. Over at RealGM there is a very vocal contingent that absolutely hates Parker.

I really like him, but I am concerned about his quickness, and lack of elite athleticism. I'll be excited with any of Wiggins, Parker, Embiid or Exum. I think all 4 have a chance to be a special player.

early indications is that the cavs favor embiid, which probably means that wiggins is the pick.

Where are you seeing this? Not doubting you at all, but on ESPN, Ford is saying he's hearing they like Wiggins. Who knows after last year, Cleveland gave no real indications and then totally bombed the first pick.

I personally want no part of Embiid due to the injuries. He already has back issues and while I'm not a doctor, it seems to me that back injuries can be especially difficult to predict and to treat. I just don't see him being healthy enough to be worth a pick as high as what we have.

I've been thinking about this, and am now looking at this a different way. Embiid is the clear #1. I'm hearing all the GMs pretty much feel the same way, we're just hearing the normal mis-direction from Cleveland and other GMs. His back has been llooked at my 1,000 doctors by mow, and everyone was amazed by his individual workouts. You can't teach 7'0" and you can't teach athleticism. Drop off at the true center postion is pretty large. Is he Hakeem? That's not fair to put that label on him. But he will be the #1 pick, no doubt in my mind.

So then you have Wiggins and Parker. Trade down if you can. Very tough for the Bucks to do, they need the PR of a #2 pick, and I get that. But ideally, I would trade down. I just don't think there's a big drop-off through the entire lottery. We're so used to seeing this pecking order for months now, but there are some really good players in this draft that really aren't much different at all than Wiggins/Parker in terms of talent and potential. If you saw James Young in the tourney, hard to see the difference between him and Wiggins (just an example.) Would getting Vanleh or Gordan be so bad? I could go on and on.

If they stick at 2, Wiggins is the pick. He has the same floor as Parker, but a higher ceiling. Not to mention he actually plays defense.

There's been talk the Jazz (5th, 23rd, 35th) might look to package their picks to move up. Would the 2nd pick be enough to acquire all 3 of their picks?

This is a four player draft. You don't move out of the top 4 unless you are getting an offer you absolutely can't refuse. The 5th pick, a late 1st and an early 2nd isn't that type of offer.

Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, and Exum are the clear cut top 4. Julius Randle and Marcus Smart could also be really solid NBA players; after that it is a little hit or miss. The Bucks are more than one player away. If someone wants to trade up into the 2 spot and is willing to give up a pick in the 5-10 range and a 1st round pick in 2015 that might be worth exploring. Bucks will surely be a lottery team again next year and if a 5-10 slotted team this year gives us a 2015 pick; that pick will probably be in the lottery as well. It remains to be seen how strong the 2015 draft class will be since it appears a big portion of the top prospects are incoming freshmen.

I doubt the new owners will want to trade down though; they are new and want a big splash to help with ticket sales. If they should do any trading they should try to get back into the first round in the low to mid 20's and try to get a guy like Adriean Payne, KJ McDaniels, or PJ Hairston.

Archived