Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey
Parker ... from chicago so milwaukee's climates wouldn't affect him

It's interesting that both top prospects are from cold, northern cities on great lakes (Wiggins from Toronto). It's just destiny that one of the two becomes a Buck, feels at home, is happy long-term, and helps make basketball history here, right?

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Milwaukee plays out as almost the opposite of New York or LA, but the small-townish, fans won't mob you, family-friendly atmosphere of Milwaukee must appeal to at least a handful of NBA players. hopefully some good players will really come to appreciate the unique qualities that Milwaukee has to offer.

after so many years of misery, if we get a Durant-type of player in here who ends up turning the franchise around and also keeps his nose clean, he's going to be absolutely revered in Milwaukee. maybe better than Robin Yount status, because there are a lot of basketball fans-in-waiting in the City.

Can't wait until the NBA rigs the lottery and the Lakers get the first pick

when the Knicks got Ewing in a lottery that was obviously rigged, did NY at the time at least have a good possibility of landing the top pick, or was it more like when Orlando landed the #1 pick for the second year in a row to nab Chris Webber?

Milwaukee plays out as almost the opposite of New York or LA, but the small-townish, fans won't mob you, family-friendly atmosphere of Milwaukee must appeal to at least a handful of NBA players. hopefully some good players will really come to appreciate the unique qualities that Milwaukee has to offer.

after so many years of misery, if we get a Durant-type of player in here who ends up turning the franchise around and also keeps his nose clean, he's going to be absolutely revered in Milwaukee. maybe better than Robin Yount status, because there are a lot of basketball fans-in-waiting in the City.

Can't wait until the NBA rigs the lottery and the Lakers get the first pick

when the Knicks got Ewing in a lottery that was obviously rigged, did NY at the time at least have a good possibility of landing the top pick, or was it more like when Orlando landed the #1 pick for the second year in a row to nab Chris Webber?

It was a 1 in 7 chance for everyone. They literally put the envelopes in a drum and rotated it....

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Worst case scenario, if the Bucks do end up with the #4 pick (or the Lakers offer a bunch of future 1st round picks to move up to take Parker/Wiggins), I'm curious as to why people don't want Smart. He doesn't have the height of an ideal #2, but he has the strength/muscle to play bigger than he is and create his own shot, and he isn't going to let someone else post him up and back him down. Is it because he's a bit of a "hot head"? I'd argue that the Bucks need someone who plays with some fire in their belly, even if it means going over the top occasionally.

Since coming back from suspension, Smart has averaged 18.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4.3 steals per game. This says a few things to me; first, the steals and to an extent the rebounds says that he plays defense, something the Bucks need. Smart finished third in the nation in steals this season. To average 18.7 points and 6 assists a game says that he has the basketball IQ to take/create the shot if need be but also know when to pass to a teammate; he isn't a ball hog even though he scores. Two of his three highest scoring games were against teams that made the tournament, so he isn't padding his stats against weak teams.

Worst case scenario, if the Bucks do end up with the #4 pick (or the Lakers offer a bunch of future 1st round picks to move up to take Parker/Wiggins), I'm curious as to why people don't want Smart. He doesn't have the height of an ideal #2, but he has the strength/muscle to play bigger than he is and create his own shot, and he isn't going to let someone else post him up and back him down. Is it because he's a bit of a "hot head"? I'd argue that the Bucks need someone who plays with some fire in their belly, even if it means going over the top occasionally.

Since coming back from suspension, Smart has averaged 18.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 6 assists, and 4.3 steals per game. This says a few things to me; first, the steals and to an extent the rebounds says that he plays defense, something the Bucks need. Smart finished third in the nation in steals this season. To average 18.7 points and 6 assists a game says that he has the basketball IQ to take/create the shot if need be but also know when to pass to a teammate; he isn't a ball hog even though he scores. Two of his three highest scoring games were against teams that made the tournament, so he isn't padding his stats against weak teams.

Smart is small for a 2, so he is a guy without a position and he is a shooting guard who can't shoot. He shot under 40% in Big12 play this season. 28% from 3.

Against even bigger, faster and better competition I don't think he'll be able to bull his way to the hoop and get foul calls like he does in college.

I think that whomever is left amongst Exum, Embiid, Parker or Wiggins is clearly a step above Smart, and I'd argue Julius Randle is a step above him as well.

As for a Lakers trade, since they've already traded their 2015 and 2017 first rounders (2015 with protection, so both picks could be bumped back by YEARS), the first first round pick they could trade is 2019 -- with the same protection.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Not too much of a surprise but Embiid is officially in the draft. I was holding out hope that he'd pass up the draft this year and make next year's a little bit stronger. The Bucks must be sending signals that they really like him because almost every mock I see in which he is still available has him going to Milwaukee.

I no longer have any interest in Embiid if we end up with the 1st or 2nd pick and both Parker and Wiggins declare. Embiid has too much of an injury history and too much of a project/unknown to take him over Parker or Wiggins who will likely be in the starting lineup on Day #1. Embiid just strikes me as a slightly more skilled Larry Sanders.

The Bucks must be sending signals that they really like him because almost every mock I see in which he is still available has him going to Milwaukee.

Meh. You mean the same mock drafts as last year, when none of them were right about the #1 pick in the draft? These guys don't know anything more than we do, it's group think and they feed off each other. Don't get me wrong, I check out the mocks myself. I just wouldn't read too much into it.

Fondy, interesting comment comparing him to Sanders. I sort of agree with that, except I think that's his floor. He definitely could be a better offensive player than Sanders, wouldn't take much.

The injuries are what scare me. Could be Kansas ws extra-cautious, worried about a mega lawsuit from a guy about to enter the lottery. As of today, I would still go Wiggins, then Parker.

Wiggins and Parker are franchise players. They have the capability to be 25-30 PPG players. Milwaukee has not had someone that can score that consistently since Michael Redd. This has been a problem.The greek freak has not shown any ability to shoot. They are very lacking. If Sanders can get his head straight and Henson continues to develop they may be OK inside. They need offense.

Wiggins and Parker are franchise players.

I agree but it seems like every scout seems to think Embiid has the most upside of all of them. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully someone like Parker decides to go back to school. I think the top of next year's draft is going to be pretty solid too. Milwaukee really has a chance to turn things around over the next few years if they draft right. But then again I suppose it means nothing unless they get a new arena.

I'm thinking that the Sixers win last night may have clinched the most 'combinations' in the lottery for the Bucks. I can't see them winning more than 1 game the rest of the way, 2 would be a pretty big stretch. If they lose to Detroit tomorrow, that should close the deal- and considering the Bucks have won ONE road game (against the Sixers, of course) during calendar 2014, I do not like their chances. Even if they are able to win 2 games and the Sixers lose out, it goes to a coin flip, correct?

No matter what, this was an absolutely deplorable product that was put on the court this season. Since I'm also of the belief that this was not an intentional tank job by Hammonds (especially initially), I think that this season should cost Hammonds, Drew and company their jobs. Start fresh with the high pick.

I'm thinking that the Sixers win last night may have clinched the most 'combinations' in the lottery for the Bucks. I can't see them winning more than 1 game the rest of the way, 2 would be a pretty big stretch. If they lose to Detroit tomorrow, that should close the deal- and considering the Bucks have won ONE road game (against the Sixers, of course) during calendar 2014, I do not like their chances. Even if they are able to win 2 games and the Sixers lose out, it goes to a coin flip, correct?

No matter what, this was an absolutely deplorable product that was put on the court this season. Since I'm also of the belief that this was not an intentional tank job by Hammonds (especially initially), I think that this season should cost Hammonds, Drew and company their jobs. Start fresh with the high pick.

If they end up tied, the teams split the lottery balls (224 each) with the additional one being determined by a coin flip. The problem is, if you lose that coin flip, you also end up with the 12% chance of getting the 5th pick.

Wiggins is expected to declare today; as is Aaron Gordon. Gordon shouldn't be on the Bucks radar thought. With Embiid also projected to declare the last missing piece is Parker. If Parker declares the Bucks are guaranteed to get a really nice high upside player no matter if they get the 1st or 4th pick.

Since I'm also of the belief that this was not an intentional tank job by Hammonds (especially initially), I think that this season should cost Hammonds, Drew and company their jobs. Start fresh with the high pick.

I do think it was an intentional tank job, they just didn't want it to look like one by adding guys like Mayo, Neal, Ridnour. I'm not a big Hammonds fan, but don't hate him either. Frankly I don't care if he stays or goes. I think Drew has done a good job, they have played hard for the most part even when it became clear they were an awful team. All except Mayo that is, but can't fault Drew for that. Not sure how you motivate Mayo, short of hanging Big Macs from the rim.

Since I'm also of the belief that this was not an intentional tank job by Hammonds (especially initially), I think that this season should cost Hammonds, Drew and company their jobs. Start fresh with the high pick.

I do think it was an intentional tank job, they just didn't want it to look like one by adding guys like Mayo, Neal, Ridnour. I'm not a big Hammonds fan, but don't hate him either. Frankly I don't care if he stays or goes. I think Drew has done a good job, they have played hard for the most part even when it became clear they were an awful team. All except Mayo that is, but can't fault Drew for that. Not sure how you motivate Mayo, short of hanging Big Macs from the rim.

They've given up the highest percentage of 3's in the league, and they shoot the fewest corner 3's in the league. Drew's offensive and defensive scheme's are antiquated and horrible.

The team was expected to make the playoffs this year. Larry Sanders and Ersan's injuries prevented that. There is no way this was an "intentional tank job" if it was, the front office is even dumber than I could imagine. Tying up long term money in guys like Mayo, Zaza, Neal, Delfino... instead of, I don't know, playing young guys.

Larry Sanders is an idiot, the poster child of a guy who played for the money and now no longer cares. The pot use itself doesn't even really bother me, it's his attitude after being suspended that does. The apology came secondary to his NORML talking points.

At this point, I say that you cut and run. Take whatever you can get for him, which will be next to nothing. He's not the type of 'team leader' that I want around the young guys as he's more concerned with clubbing and getting high than winning.

I'm not amused with Larry either. He very well may be a bust in Milwaukee. However, I don't see too much of a crime with this. Just my opinion and he did break the rules, but I don't know if it's real fair to dismiss him over smoking pot. Other event...I could appreciate the argument...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not amused with Larry either. He very well may be a bust in Milwaukee. However, I don't see too much of a crime with this. Just my opinion and he did break the rules, but I don't know if it's real fair to dismiss him over smoking pot. Other event...I could appreciate the argument...

I think it goes beyond him smoking pot (and thus breaking the rules). The Larry Sanders post-big money seems very different from the Larry Sanders pre-big money.

Many people are worried that it was a lot of the senator's money gone up in smoke...

Apparently the report was premature. Too bad. But I'm hopeful that if Kohl can get somewhere in the $500 million price range for the Bucks he would then turn around and offer something like $400 million for a new arena. I am as fair weathered a Bucks fan as there is but it would be really bad for the city to lose the Bucks. They need a new arena and it needs to be a part of a bigger project to help improve Milwaukee's inadequate facilities.

Apparently the report was premature. Too bad. But I'm hopeful that if Kohl can get somewhere in the $500 million price range for the Bucks he would then turn around and offer something like $400 million for a new arena. I am as fair weathered a Bucks fan as there is but it would be really bad for the city to lose the Bucks. They need a new arena and it needs to be a part of a bigger project to help improve Milwaukee's inadequate facilities.

This is what I'm hoping. Kohl takes a chunk of the sales proceeds and fronts the arena. He bought the team for roughly $20 million back in the 80's, so even if he's taken a slight loss over the years, he should be able to donate a huge chunk and still get a decent ROI.

Archived