Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey
This seems like a good problem to have. Even as the debate heats up it doesn't appear as though we are going to end up with a bad player. I'd be excited with Wiggins, Parker or Embiid. I'd be slightly less excited by still ok with Smart, Randle, or Exum. I wish there was a way they could walk away with a shooter too though, someone like Gary Harris or Wayne Seldom, though after being overshadowed by Wiggin and Embiid I wouldn't be surprised to see Seldom go back to Kansas.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This seems like a good problem to have. Even as the debate heats up it doesn't appear as though we are going to end up with a bad player.

Absolutely. I'm hoping that we have the opportunity for a spirited debate for a few weeks prior to the draft, which would mean the Bucks get #1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two most probable picks for the Bucks (assuming they hold their 'lead') would be first or fourth. That would be a huge swing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the two most probable picks for the Bucks (assuming they hold their 'lead') would be first or fourth. That would be a huge swing.

You are correct, but they have approximately a 2 out of 3 chance of getting one of the top three picks so it is still unlikely they would drop to 4.

Even if those guys make strides, they're still in desperate need of scorers and star quality players. They absolutely must get one in this draft (I like Parker, but Wiggins could come on strong too). If both are gone, then they have some choices to make. They'll likely pick in the top 5 next year too, so if they can nail those two picks (unlikely given who will be making the picks), and those young guys develop, they may be on to something.

I really hope they can move some guys to get more picks this year, mainly Ersan.

Even someone like CJ Fair out of Syracuse would be a nice get if the Bucks could someone get back into the mid 1st round through manuveuring. There are some decent shooters that should be available from 15-30.

I would love that, and actually in a lot of the mock draft they have him going at the top of the 2nd round. So, in theory, the Bucks could get Jabari Parker, CJ Fair, AND trade into the middle of the 1st for another stud. They have a bunch of 2nd round picks to trade, along with current players, picks in future years, etc.

CJ Fair has really fallen, I think if he would have come out last year he would be in the mix for rookie of the year. Now this draft his name isn't even mentioned.

I just saw a rumor that Charlotte may be buyers and may even be willing to trade their first rounder. The Bucks should be on the phone and ask what it would take to get that first rounder.

What in the world do the Bucks have that Charlotte would want that they would give up that pick for?

Charlotte's FG% ranks 27th in the league and their offensive rebounding ranks 27th in the league (29th on a shot % basis). Charlotte also only has four players on the roster 6-9 or taller. They also don't have anything behind MK-G at SF, and MK-G has only attempted 9 3-point shots on the year (and has only made 60% of his FTs).

I don't know if McRoberts' game is too similar to Ilyasova's, but I think a guy who has some height and can offensive rebound like Ilyasova might have some value to Charlotte and could get a mid-1st round pick. Caron Butler won't get a 1st round pick, but would make a nice addition to come off the bench for MK-G and a veteran for MK-G to learn from (plus Butler's 85% FT wouldn't be a liability in the 4th quarter like MK-G's 60% FT). Butler + the Bucks 2nd round pick (#31 overall) for Charlotte's 1st round pick (right now #15)?

Ersan is always in trade rumors, but I don't really get the interest. The guy is a poor man's Tim Thomas. He has a big game or two here and there, then disappears for a stretch. He really hasn't done anything since he got paid, and I don't think that he's going to get much better. At this point I would take a pick anywhere in the first round plus salary garbage/expiring contract for him.

Butler + the Bucks 2nd round pick (#31 overall) for Charlotte's 1st round pick (right now #15)?

I'm not an expert on NBA trades, but Charlotte would need to add salary to that trade to make it happen. Looking at Charlotte's roster, the only expiring contracts the Bobs have are Ben Gordon and Ramon Sessions. Sessions plays good minutes for the Bobs, so he won't be traded. And Gordon makes 5+M more than Butler, so the Bucks would have to add more. The Bucks could add Neal to the deal to make it work, but I'd imagine the Bobs could get more than Butler, Neal, and a 2nd for Gordon's expiring, let alone adding a 1st. And it's the same thing for Ersan. They don't have a contract or couple to match.

In my opinion, the only way we're going to get a first for anything other than Sanders, Henson, and Giannis is to take back a bad contract... and the Bucks definitely shouldn't do that. The 3 that the Bucks should be looking to trade are Ersan, Neal, and Mayo and try to bring someone back on a shorter term contract.

Also, Charlotte does not have their own 1st this year - that goes to Chicago from the Tyrus Thomas trade if the Bobnets(Horcats?) stay in their current position....they do have the Blazers pick and as of right now, the Pistons pick, though that could change as late as the lottery

You don't see trades for expiring contracts much anymore now that the league slots rookie salaries and has limits on max offer contracts. I could be wrong - if so, I'd like to see examples of trades in the last year or two that are basically for expiring contracts. It also depends on the free agent class; teams were trading for expiring contracts the year LeBron and Bosh hit free agency, but if it isn't a big FA class then the value of an expiring contracts is going to be smaller.

In order to get anything for an expiring contract you usually have to take on a smaller but longer contract(s) in return. I don't know if Charlotte is willing to take on an Ilyasova-like contract ($8M/year for 2/3 more years) if they can't get immediate help, especially if they are looking to add a player for a playoff push which is the trade rumor to begin with. Jefferson and Henderson have player options after next season and Kemba Walker is only under control for two more seasons so I don't think Charlotte wants to take on salary beyond this year or next.

Actually Butler and Neal make a lot of sense for Charlotte; remember, Butler is an expiring contract too, and Neal is the backup SG they don't have right now with Gordon injured (Neal is actually a better shooter, especially from 3, than Gordon too) and is only guaranteed $3.25M next year. If Charlotte doesn't plan on resigning McRoberts then Ilyasova might make sense for them. And if a team is looking to shed salary the the Bucks pick at #31 will have a lot of value because it is the first pick that doesn't carry a guaranteed salary, thus the Bucks could easily move up from #31 to the late first round if a team such as the Clippers, Bulls, Wizards, or Grizzlies need to get under the luxury tax threshold.

He really hasn't done anything since he got paid

You obviously didn't watch him last year then.

I did. He may have had more good games, but he was a non factor most of the time. He certainly regressed from his career (contract) season. Even that year, he was inconsistent. At this point, he is content standing outside jacking 3's, with no real interest in defense or rebounding. As I said, I'd take anything for him just to shed the salary.

• 2 weeks later...
So the trade deadline is two days away. I am really hoping Hammond can make a couple deals. He shoul be selling Neal, Butler, Ersan, Mayo, even Zaza to anyone and everyone. Henson, Giannis, and Sanders are probably the only untouchables and Sanders only because he is basically untradeable. I would be inclined to hang on to Knight as well. I am not expecting high 1st round picks or anything but I could see some contenders who will pick in that 20-30 range giving that pick up to hopefully get them the one playey they need.

I don't think we can get another first round pick, not with what we have to offer. Ersan has played really poorly this year, his value is probably pretty low compared to where it was over the summer. I wouldn't just give him away, but the others I certainly would. Even if it's just for second round picks or trade exceptions, those are helpful too when we're talking about trading guys like Neal, Butler, etc. They aren't exactly valuable.

That said, Hammond will probably do nothing.

I don't like the word "untouchable." If OKC wants to trade Durant for Giannis, I wouldn't call back and say "no thanks, he's untouchable." Extreme example I know, but you get the idea. If a deal makes sense, you do it- no matter who is involved.

Yea, it's funny how Ersan's name always comes up. He would be a nice piece for a playoff team, but can't imagine anyone giving up a 1st rounder for him- especially this year. But I would take anything for him and Mayo just to move their contracts. Will be shocked if Neal and Butler aren't traded. Beyond those two guys, Ridnour is the only other guy that may move.

It saves them money as both Sessions and Adrien are on expiring contracts. Neal is signed through next season at about 3.3 million, so it clears up some salary and a roster spot for next year. Hopefully Sessions doesn't take away minutes from Wolters. Sessions actually probably makes us better this year, hopefully not enough to affect the tank though.

I don't understand why we kept Butler though. Should have just given him away. Also disappointed they couldn't make a bigger move with Ersan and/or Mayo.

Archived