Brewer Fanatic

Milwaukee Bucks 2013–2014

1992casey
Does the NBA count tickets sold, or actual people in attendance at the games?

The box score from last night's Bucks game says 11,379--but on tv, the place looked really empty. Like maybe 7000. . .though I turned it on in the 4th quarter.

That's going to be tough to sell the idea of a new arena with that kind of attendance.

Attendance was the same last year on weeknights when they were fighting for the 8th seed. People need hope to be convinced to buy tickets. Same thing happened with the early 2000's Brewers. Once there was hope, the attendance went up.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

I saw a rumor on the JS comments that the Bucks posted a 0.0 TV rating--that can't be true, can it?

There really is no reason to win another game the rest of the year, they are guaranteed a top-4 pick if they have the worst record. If they even drop to the 3rd worst record, they have almost 1/3 chance of missing the top-4. The only thing that can be gained is experience for the current roster.

Based on the rest of the NBA I see them ending with no worse than the 2nd worst record. It sure seems to be between Orlando and Milwaukee. As long as they get a Top 4 pick they should get a player that can improve the team immediately. Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Exum, Smart, or Embiid would all very nice additions. I just wish this years draft class was a bit more guard heavy because that is really where MIL needs the most help. My vote is still for Parker right now. It would probably be too much to ask to trade off some guys and get another 1st rounder in the 10-20 range; but that would be nice if possible

Based on the rest of the NBA I see them ending with no worse than the 2nd worst record. It sure seems to be between Orlando and Milwaukee. As long as they get a Top 4 pick they should get a player that can improve the team immediately. Parker, Wiggins, Randle, Exum, Smart, or Embiid would all very nice additions. I just wish this years draft class was a bit more guard heavy because that is really where MIL needs the most help. My vote is still for Parker right now. It would probably be too much to ask to trade off some guys and get another 1st rounder in the 10-20 range; but that would be nice if possible

The problem is, after 6 years on the job, John Hammond has approximately 5 assets with positive trade value, none of which you really want to move.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Its too bad that Ersan is having such a terrible year; otherwise he would be very valuable to someone looking for some additional offense. Sanders is worthless in a trade right now and you wouldn't get squat for Mayo, Butler, or Neal either.

Maybe Hammond will continue his trend of trading young fairly good players for no apparent reason (Leuer, Harris, Meeks) and trade Henson. Henson could definitely get you back in the 1st round; not that I am actually advocating trading him. He has been a pretty solid player thus far. He does need to come up with another post move other than the lefty hook though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This is a great year to tank. Embiid, Parker, Smart, Wiggins.....I'd take any of those guys.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

...not to mention Exxum from Australia.

if we have decent coaching, maybe another small-but-smart roster move, and assuming the draft pick has all-star talent, Milwaukee has the makings of being a pretty good team for a long time. it's going to be epic to see how Kohl and Hammonds manage to screw it up.

That hands picture is insane....the smaller hand is from a female reporter for Raptors....for older Bucks fans, just read an interesting rundown of how Don Nelson was an egomaniac, forcing a trade for Dave Cowans, who was a friend that had retired, for Quinn Buckner, and really set the franchise back.....Wayne Embry was the best Bucks GM of all-time

My dream scenario by the way...Bucks get 1 overall pick, trade it to 76ers for the 3 and 10 overall, draft Parker with the 3 overall, then trade Sanders and the 10 overall for the 6 overall and get Marcus Smart and filler

trade it to 76ers for the 3 and 10 overall,

That'd be a fantastic move. I don't see a ton of separation between the top 4 guys. Parker may stand out a little but him. Wiggens, Embid, and Randle would all be a good get. At 10 Smart may even still be around or else you could grab a guy like Gary Harris or Wayne Seldon for the backcourt of Willie Cauley Stein who is a real nice looking defender.

On a side not how about that move Philly made to get an extra pick this year. They got Nerlens Noel AND the pick for Jrue Holiday. I wish the Bucks had a GM who actually recognized that state of the team before this disasterous season and had tried to grab an extra first rounder this year.

This is a little disturbing:

The bold part is the extremely disturbing part. I am not surprised by it but I am still disturbed by it as it still shows Kohl still doesn't understand how to run an NBA team.

Source

-- Speaking of the draft, the Bucks are said to be enamored with Oklahoma State point guard Marcus Smart, considered a top-five prospect. It's hard to envision the Bucks taking Smart No. 1 overall in a draft that's likely to also include Kansas' Joel Embid and Andrew Wiggins, Duke's Jabari Parker, and others. But a lot can (and will) happen between now and the draft in June.

-- The Bucks are still very open to moving center Larry Sanders prior to the Feb. 20 trading deadline, sources said. They would have to take back some salary, but it appears draft picks are their priority.

-- Final Bucks note: Unlike a lot of other struggling organizations, Bucks GM John Hammond and especially, owner Herb Kohl, don't want to undertake a long rebuilding plan that involves few reasons to be excited. Sources indicated the Bucks would be more than willing to trade for veterans who could offer immediate (as opposed to focusing only on starting a major youth movement).

The only veterans that maybe available are Rando in a trade but that wouldn't make sense with the current roster especially if the Bucks really are interested in Smart. Henson is probably the most likely player to get traded for a veteran piece and if the Bucks draft Smart Knight would be the next to go but I don't see many teams willing to trade for Knight. Maybe the Lakers would do a trade but what are you really going to get out of that trade?

Smart???? so i take it that Kohl's thinking is "who's the most NBA-ready right now?" but the Bucks would be fools to take Smart anywhere other than #4-6. not to mention this team doesn't need an immediate contributor--that's 8th Seed thinking yet again.

it's one thing if they took Wiggins and he turned out to be a bust. that i can understand. but at the worst, they're drafting #3 in the best draft in 20 years. if they blow this, Kohl should be run out out town on a rail the way Selig was.

is Kohl thinking they could package an early pick and Sanders for a fistful of late-first-rounders?

Bucks GM John Hammond and especially, owner Herb Kohl, don't want to undertake a long rebuilding plan that involves few reasons to be excited.

The thing about it is that like the Brewers, they probably don't need to go through a long rebuilding plan. They just need to start making better decisions. In the NBA more than any sport one or two guys can make you a good team. The Bucks will theoretically get one of those guys these year in Parker, Wiggens, or Embid. If they can move Sanders and/or Ilyasova for another top 15 pick they could add another piece. Maybe struggle a bit next year get another top 5 pick in 2015 and all of a sudden you've got some talent to work with.

On a side note, I'd love to see the Bucks make a run at Ray Allen this offseason. He's not the same player he was when he was here before but he was always a fan favorite and a real classy player. The back court needs a lot of help as it is and getting him would be a way to maybe get some fans back and give them somebody to really cheer for. They'd probably have to overpay for him but I think it'd be worth it.

Those comments really scare me. Good lord, I can see it now. Bucks trade the #1 overall pick for Paul Pierce. If they love Smart that much, that scares me too. I like him a lot, but in this draft there are at least 5 guys above him I would take.

Then again, to be fair, Hammond has drafted pretty well. Giannis was a great pick. Harris, Jennings... really a pretty good track record. Just hoping those comments are meant as miss-direction. A pump-fake if you will.

Marcus Smart at #4 would be an OK pick; but at #1 it would be a disaster. You simply can't pick him over Parker, Wiggins, and probably Embiid. If you love Smart that bad then you trade out of the #1 spot. It is not like Smart has been all that impressive this year. I think he has taken a step back from his performance last year as a freshman.

I am not going to get too worked up on those veteran comments for now; because I don't think there is anyone actually dumb enough to trade for veterand not one 1 year deals when you have the worst team in the league. Maybe Hammond would trade his crap for someone elses's crap but unless you get draft picks in return I can't see even Hammond being dumb enough to trade guys like Henson, Sanders, or Knight.

The Bucks luck is back on attack again....Alex Kennedy is reporting that league execs believe Parker will come back to Duke for another year, and that Embiid likely will as well, as Embiid feels he needs another year to get acclimated to the NBA since he just moved to US two years ago and doesn't have driver's license yet

Or they don't want to end up in the basketball hell that is Milwaukee. Embiid maybe I could buy staying but Parker is the clear front runner to be the #1 pick right now. I just don't think he can pass that up. I really wonder if not wanting to play in a place like MIL will factor into the early entry decision.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they have to declare for the draft before knowing where the ping pong balls fall.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they have to declare for the draft before knowing where the ping pong balls fall.

I'm almost positive that is the case. Also, if you are a high lottery pick, you are almost guaranteed to go to a bad situation. Even if someone wanted to avoid Milwaukee, the odds are high that they'll be in the mix again next year. The bottom line is that money rules all for these guys, and it spends the same no matter where it comes from.

Not exactly - if you play for Miami, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston you don't have to pay state income taxes, which can be an extra 10% available to spend compared to LA or NY. But in LA and NY you have much more entertainment and nightlife options to spend it on. Can't exactly hobnob with supermodels in clubs in Milwaukee (or Cleveland, or Utah, or Sacramento, or New Orleans).

I'd be ok with a SG this year like Exum, Smart, or LaVine. Chances are they'll be in the lottery next year and have a shot at Embiid, Parker, or whomever. Saw a mock that had the Bucks taking Washington senior SG C.J. Wilcox with their 2nd - like that pick. Then with their other two 2nd round picks grab GA's younger brother (I assume) TA from Greece and Colorado PF Josh Scott. Two SGs to replace Neal and Mayo/Ridnour (hopefully trade Mayo), a SF to replace Butler, and a PF to replace Udoh.

I'm almost positive that is the case. Also, if you are a high lottery pick, you are almost guaranteed to go to a bad situation. Even if someone wanted to avoid Milwaukee, the odds are high that they'll be in the mix again next year. The bottom line is that money rules all for these guys, and it spends the same no matter where it comes from.

From http://www.nba.com/news/important-dates/

April 27 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Eligibility Deadline (11:59 p.m. ET)

May 20 -- 2014 NBA Draft Lottery

June 16 -- NBA Draft Early Entry Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET)

June 26 -- 2014 NBA Draft

Which means, a player can declare, not hire an agent, and then if the Bucks get the #1 pick.... decide to go back to school. Ugh. That horrifies me.

Even if Parker and Embiid stay in school the Bucks should still at least be in a position to get oone of Randle, Wiggins, or Exum if they draft in the Top #3. I really lake Randle's size down low but do we really need another #4. Obviously I take Wiggins if he is available; if not I would say Exum is my next choice.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not exactly - if you play for Miami, Orlando, San Antonio, Dallas, or Houston you don't have to pay state income taxes, which can be an extra 10% available to spend compared to LA or NY. But in LA and NY you have much more entertainment and nightlife options to spend it on. Can't exactly hobnob with supermodels in clubs in Milwaukee (or Cleveland, or Utah, or Sacramento, or New Orleans).

I'd be ok with a SG this year like Exum, Smart, or LaVine. Chances are they'll be in the lottery next year and have a shot at Embiid, Parker, or whomever. Saw a mock that had the Bucks taking Washington senior SG C.J. Wilcox with their 2nd - like that pick. Then with their other two 2nd round picks grab GA's younger brother (I assume) TA from Greece and Colorado PF Josh Scott. Two SGs to replace Neal and Mayo/Ridnour (hopefully trade Mayo), a SF to replace Butler, and a PF to replace Udoh.

You can hang with supermodels on the road. Ryan Braun seems to do ok with the ladies.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am not going to get too worked up on those veteran comments for now; because I don't think there is anyone actually dumb enough to trade for veterand not one 1 year deals when you have the worst team in the league.

Yea, I would like to believe that too. Then again, it's exactly what they did just one year ago with Harris/Reddick.

I'd love it if Embiid and Parker went back to school. The Bucks would still get someone like Wiggens, Smart, Exum, or Randle and next years draft would be that much stronger with those two at the top of the list.

That being said I don't buy for a second either of those guys is going back to school. We've seen a lot of guys actually hurt their stock lately by going back (Smart, Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones, Harrison Barnes, etc) and I don't think a sure fire top 5 pick is likely to go back to school. I could be wrong of course but it's one of those I'll believe it when I see it type moments.

Archived