Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2008)

Jimbo
mute point

FtJ, I've never agreed with you more--man, that's annoying.

I'm an editor, so it's extremely rare that someone turns a phrase incorrectly (you thought I'd say 'wrong'?). Instead what bugs me are the people who use rather antiquated and especially large words just to prove they're smart. I'm one to mispronounce things on purpose.

If I had to choose two, though (besides mute point--that's even hard to type), I'd go with "irregardless" and "very unique".

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mute point

FtJ, I've never agreed with you more--man, that's annoying.

I'm an editor, so it's extremely rare that someone turns a phrase incorrectly (you thought I'd say 'wrong'?). Instead what bugs me are the people who use rather antiquated and especially large words just to prove they're smart. I'm one to mispronounce things on purpose.

If I had to choose two, though (besides mute point--that's even hard to type), I'd go with "irregardless" and "very unique".

"Very unique" makes we want to hurl...Something is unique or it isn't!

I would also go with "utilize." *shudder*

Do people really say that, Chuckie, or do we only see it on message boards? I agree that "prolly" sucks.

I've heard people say it, and usually when I see it in email its the only error, leading me to believe people think its actually a word.

Maybe one of the women out there could shed some light of this, but I'm wondering what the appeal is regarding those covers people put on their toilet seat backs.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Unthaw is awful. I think it's even come up before in this thread. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say irreglardless, though. I'm thankful for that.

I'd hate it if Wisconsin unthawed in spring. I remember the year we unthawed on Fathers Day. Corn crops were damaged and people had to replant portions of their gardens.

I hadn't heard this one until Christmas letter from a relative arrived in our mailbox last December. It's not bugging me (in fact, I still find it hilarious considering the "prim and proper" source), but it fits in with the improper use of words/non-words/phrases:

"Sometimes during the year we take our family for granite."

Maybe one of the women out there could shed some light of this, but I'm wondering what the appeal is regarding those covers people put on their toilet seat backs.

I can't help you with that.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

These radio commercials that air during Badger events, for a home security company, featuring pro golfer Jerry Kelly. Are there very many people looking to break into a PGA player's home, or is Jerry just a little paranoid?
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

These radio commercials that air during Badger events, for a home security company, featuring pro golfer Jerry Kelly. Are there very many people looking to break into a PGA player's home, or is Jerry just a little paranoid?

I think it makes sense to protect what you have, especially if what you have is worth protecting. You never really know what might happen.

Actually, Jerry Kelly probably knew someone at the company he is advertising for and got a free security system for doing the commercial.

Actually, Jerry Kelly probably knew someone at the company he is advertising for and got a free security system for doing the commercial.
Kind of like Bill Schroeder and his boat, or all those local guys pimping Good Feet Store, or the hoards of WTMJ personalities doing testimonials on various products and services around town.

RBI's is pluralized because that's how we use anagrams.

Toilet seat covers are used to add color and/or match other colors. I will say this, if you sit on the closed toilet, like when watching your child bathe, it is rather uncomfy. Ours could use a cover, a nice fuzzy soft one.

RBI's is pluralized because that's how we use anagrams.
Technically, RBI is an initialism, but it can also be considered an acronym if you're defining the term broadly. (The stricter definition of acronym requires that the set of letters be pronounceable, e.g. SCUBA.)

Anagrams are words or phrases that can be rearranged into other words or phrases by reusing each letter only once:

George Bush = He bugs Gore

Arab = A bar

Paris = Pairs

Whether or not you use an apostrophe before the s in RBIs is another subject of debate. Because we're dealing with a plural, English is moving away from using an apostrophe in cases like this.

Archived