Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2008)

Jimbo
It's bugging me that the road construction on Highway 19 between Waunakee and Sun Prairie is still not done. It's about a month overdue. What's taking so long? They are only redoing about 2-3 miles and the project is going on close to 6 months. Grrrrrr.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's bugging me that the road construction on Highway 19 between Waunakee and Sun Prairie is still not done. It's about a month overdue. What's taking so long? They are only redoing about 2-3 miles and the project is going on close to 6 months. Grrrrrr.
Same issue here. Except with the Kilbourne avenue bridge downtown. It's several months overdue now. Now I'm hearing that it's supposed to be open to traffic before the end of the year...I'm not holding my breath. It's really a pain, especially when on my way home from work.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My phone company sending me an e-mail that I should call them about why my service was cancelled.
Radio commercials for hearing aids.

Speaking of radio commercials, these have been bugging me:

* The Toyota "SAAAAAAAAVE BYYYYY ZEEEEEEERRRRRROOOOOOO" ads. What does "save by zero" even mean? It doesn't sound like any big savings to me.

* Those GM Goodwrench radio ads with the guy saying "You know how when you go to a store and you want the best, you ask the clerk what he's got in the back, right?" NO!. Nobody does that! And why on Earth would a store keep their best (and presumably most expensive/profitable) merchandise in "the back"? And then they have to have that "AH CAHNT STAHP THINKANG ABOOOUT IT" guy at the end. Make it stop.

so this chick straddles two lanes of traffic and goes 1 mph, if that, into the gas station. naturally, i'm on her rear since she's moving slower than a parked car.

"is that your gray car?"

"yeah."

"blah blah blah blah blah...." and she wouldn't quit about the whole thing. kept yapping the entire time she was in line.

I'm proud that I didn't give in to her ranting.

One more radio ad to add to Diskono's 1670 above.

Thunder Bay Grill. The guy trying to sound like a folk singer makes me want to do mean things to a small animal with a fork.

"Grunt grunt-grunt, grunt-grunt, moan, Fuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnder Hay."

Dylan wannabe>

What happened to the "bad driving" thread from several months ago? I did a search for it, but came up empty. Did it get locked? Anyways, I had another to add to the list.

People who don't know how to change lanes. They slow down to almost a stop in an attempt to find an opening when many times there is a big gap a car or two ahead of them that they could get into by just stepping on the gas a little bit. Also, in parking lots after a sports event, people who are not agressive about getting into the main exit lane, but instead wait back in hopes that someone will let them in.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Two days before my new laptop is supposed to get here, I get the email reinviting me to WoW.

It's been over 2 years since I've played....and I do want to pick it up again for a few months (make it to 70).

I just have way too many other fun games to play before signing my life over to Blizzard again for a few months.

(I actually dropped WoW after playing for 3-4 months....as I realized that it was more like work than my real job.)

A few of us got our hours cut at work this week. The theory was that cutting each of us 8 hours would equal laying off one person full-time, so this way no one bears the brunt.

Yesterday we had a meeting where we flew all our outside salesmen into our office. Flights, hotel and food? Upwards of $3000 (this is a small business).

Then yesterday afternoon they decide that they want to leave in the AM, instead of the PM today, so they had me call and change their flights, to a tune of $150 a piece and the boss okayed it.

Apparently they can't afford the $100 a week they cut from me but we can spend a few hundred to fly the salesmen home 4 hours earlier.

What happened to the "bad driving" thread from several months ago? I did a search for it, but came up empty. Did it get locked? Anyways, I had another to add to the list.

Driving Pet Peeves. It's not locked.

By the way, for those who might have been discouraged by the Yuku search in the past, the new advanced search works wonders. To narrow a search to show only leads (instead of also including replies), check the "Only show topics" box. A search for "driving" over the past 6 months with "Only show topics" checked makes you read through only 12 links to find the thread. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Update on the Sears Optical thing. They do intend to replace the last pair of glasses they made for me, although the manager had to go to "higher-ups" to convince the lab that it was their responsibility to do so. I'd expect new glasses sometime next month, meaning that if they get things right this time, it'll have taken 16 months to get a pair of decent glasses from them.

Just reading about Christmas music (ouch, my ears) makes me sick about the season. Yep, I'm a scrooge.

If not for my daughter and the joy she gets this time of year, I would completely hate Christmas. Bah humbug.

(Sorry to bring the mood down for those of you who enjoy all things Christmas.)

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

(Sorry to bring the mood down for those of you who enjoy all things Christmas.)
It's not you bringing down the mood, burniebrewer. It's the media and marketers who believe that the Christmas machine has to be revved up so far in advance: like stores with Christmas tree displays on October 1 and radio stations that switch to all-Christmas music before kids go out trick-or-treating.

Honestly, it was more special to "have to" wait for the day after Thanksgiving to start hearing holiday tunes.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

As a public service, I will now tell you all how to not break bad news to your grown children who live hundreds of miles away:

(phone rings)

Me: Hello?

Dad: Hi, Amy. What are you doing?

Me: I'm out shopping.

Dad: What are you shopping for?

Me: Clothes.

Dad: Where are you now?

Me: I'm in the store, Dad.

Dad: Which store?

Me: Just a store.

Dad: I didn't know it was a secret.

Me: H&M, Dad. I know you don't have those down there so I didn't think it would mean anything.

Dad: Well, I'm calling to tell you we're getting ready to leave for Charlotte. Granddaddy had a mini stroke.

(He should be fine. He drove himself to the hospital. But I hate the lulling me into the standard shooting the breeze conversation, then dropping the bomb. Even if it is a small stroke, it's still major news.)

Those GM Goodwrench radio ads with the guy saying "You know how when you go to a store and you want the best, you ask the clerk what he's got in the back, right?" NO!. Nobody does that! And why on Earth would a store keep their best (and presumably most expensive/profitable) merchandise in "the back"?
I laughed when they mentioned the butcher was in the back. Like they keep him in a closet or something until someone asks for him.

Kevin Keating is selling this Jordan 3x5 for $1250.

He's good for some rarities, if you're ready to start peeling away the big bills. . .

http://www.qualityautogra...ry_signed_unlined_3x5.jpg

The rest of his stuff is at www.qualityautographs.com

He's been in the autograph business for years, has a great reputation, and just joined PSA /DNA as an authenticator.

We are hosting my parents for Thanksgiving for the first time. They live near Milwaukee, and we live in Madison, and my grandparents/extended family all live in central Iowa. Their initial plan was to come here, eat, then leave Friday morning for Iowa. My mother likes to have the big meals on Thanksgiving and Christmas around 2 PM, but my wife was raised to have the meal at the dinner hour, 5 or 6. Personally, I like the later time too, so I told my mother it would be during the normal dinner hour. Needless to say, she was not very happy about the decision. She proceeded to ask me if we could move the dinner time up a few hours so they could drive to Iowa Thursday evening (4 hours from Madison), because it would be "more convenient." I'm now convinced my parents never really wanted to spend Thanksgiving with us, but were going to stop, eat, and run, because we happened to live between them and the rest of the family.

Some parking lots have their spots at an angle to maximize efficiency. Some people like to ruin this model by driving the wrong way down these one-way parking lanes and turning 300 degrees to park in spots that people coming from the proper direction had their eye on. Where's the order?

I was in a Walgreens yesterday, the lady checking out was buying a pair of sunglasses, because they were marked way down. When the clerk scanned them, they came up at full price.

The clerk had no idea where the lady had even found the sunglasses, which of course gave her no chance of knowing the accurate price. The customer couldn't remember where she'd found them in the store, she just stood there staring at the clerk.

This teenage clerk called for a manager...there were none in the store (honestly), then she called for someone to open another register, which no one did. I was second in line, I finally walked to their cosmetics department, and checked out at the register there. I looked back, and there had to be 10-12 people waiting in line.

Retail stores who leave their staff hanging like that bug me. Where was ANYBODY?

My girlfriend and I were at Green Mill sort of late last night, and we ordered a pizza with no cheese, pesto, basil, garlic and sun-dried tomatoes. No cheese because I'm a vegan. So, the pizza gets to the table and as the waiter is putting it on the table, he gets a disgusted look on his face. The pizza has cheese. He apologizes profusely and gives us onion rings while they make another pizza. That's nice. By the time the second pizza is made, we're both really tired and want to go home. We ask him to just box it up. We pay (about 1/2 the price was comped) and leave.

We get to the parking to find her car's front passenger window was smashed, but nothing was stolen. The cops come, we file a report, they say there's nothing they can do. We drive home.

We get home. I open the pizza box to finally have a slice of pizza for dinner before I crash. There's no pesto on it.

Retail stores who leave their staff hanging like that bug me. Where was ANYBODY?

In other words, you ran into a lesser version of the mess that Sears Optical has totally built into their system (replies 1651, 1678). Employees aren't allowed to do anything except take orders, deliver, and do limited repairs. Managers can do more, but often need to fight with a division manager to advocate for a customer. If the manager and division manager are on the same page, they have to fight with the management at the lab.

The answer to the issue would seem to be so clear. If the lab didn't send a pair of glasses that were right, the peon employee should be able to say, "OK, we'll send them back and give you a call when they're ready." That doesn't cover the weeks someone will be without glasses when that person really needs them, but at least it's a start.

Anyway, to update, my glasses have arrived, but I won't be able to get to Sears Optical when they're open until Friday (I'll be nowhere near that city.) They'd mail the glasses to me or send them to another Sears Optical, but this situation obviously needs to be dealt with in person with employees who've been involved with the mess. I think I did ask the pertinent questions over the phone, though:

• Do the lenses stay in the frames when you clean them?
  • Are the edges of the lenses polished?
  • Do the screws match the frames, or are the frames hacked together?

Hopefully, that avoids another situation where they pull the glasses out of the envelope and I have to refuse delivery--again. I didn't ask if the prescription was right. It's routine for them to check that, but I suppose I should call just to be sure.

Toby, just a hint here. If a car with a busted window in the door has to be driven for any length of time before it's repaired, wide shrink wrap (available in a large roll at Menards for under $10) does wonders. You can keep weather out very effectively without using any tape--or at least without having tape touch the vehicle. You won't be able to open the door, but that's secondary. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived