Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2008)

Jimbo
Today, 93.1 The Lake in Madison changed from classic rock to hip-hop.
Seriously? There's a need for hip-hop competition in the Madison radio market?

I'm not asking that to make a judgement on hip-hop - I'm just mildly surprised that there are now two hip-hop stations.

Edit: Actually, 93.1 is apparently now simulcasting with 106.7, so I guess there isn't really hip-hop competition. (I realize this doesn't help you, NMF.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply

False advertising is what's bugging me...

TimeWarner has the gall to advertise their 'Free HD' campaign while omitting the fact that you need to lease their 'HDTV Converter' box from them to receive anything but the local HD channels. If they're going to be pimping themselves as offering free HD, why not send it all 'in the clear' like they do the locals so I don't have to shell out for a second box with a horrible GUI to watch cable HD in my living room? I'm already using one of those piece-of-crap boxes for my basement tv (which I pay $5.87/month for), and that's out of necessity.

Oh wait, by pointing this out I must have inadvertently labeled myself as a puppy hater.

Today, 93.1 The Lake in Madison changed from classic rock to hip-hop. 93.1 was a much better classic rock station than 101.5, in my opinion. Now I have no station to wake up to in the morning that actually will play classic rock. All I will get will be talk. I guess I should buy an iPod alarm...
As a note, I've had it on in my radio on the way to and from work the last couple days, and I have heard the same song in every trip.

One play of the same song was exactly one hour apart at one point. I like the idea of a hip-hop station to compliment 101.5 on my radio, but this is ridiculous. There's so much good rap and hip-hop out there, and they play NONE of it.

Today, 93.1 The Lake in Madison changed from classic rock to hip-hop. 93.1 was a much better classic rock station than 101.5, in my opinion. Now I have no station to wake up to in the morning that actually will play classic rock. All I will get will be talk. I guess I should buy an iPod alarm...
As a note, I've had it on in my radio on the way to and from work the last couple days, and I have heard the same song in every trip.

One play of the same song was exactly one hour apart at one point. I like the idea of a hip-hop station to compliment 101.5 on my radio, but this is ridiculous. There's so much good rap and hip-hop out there, and they play NONE of it.

Once an hour they will play "Live Your Life" by T.I. Think I am joking? Check their webpage at madtownjamz.com . They list all the songs they play throughout the day. It's sad. They have 25 years of hip hop and R & B to choose from, but they play the same songs over and over and over.

Best Buy is bugging me. I have a 61" RCA Scenium DLP HDTV that has been broken for over 6 weeks. When I purchased the TV, I added the 4 year protection plan. Well, 3 years later my TV is dead and Best Buy doesn't seem to want to do anything. Next stop...legal help.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Add Sears Optical to that list. I bought a pair of glasses in August, 2007. They weren't right, and they were sent back to the lab in September. I had to delay sending them back for a week because the manager was on vacation. Nobody is authorized to handle warranty work except for her.

New ones were delivered in October, 2007. When the employee took the glasses out of the envelope, one of the lenses flew across the room. He worked for half an hour to put it in the way it should be. In the process, he stabbed himself and drew blood. The lens still wasn't in right.

After a couple months of the lens falling out, Sears finally hacked in a solution which detracted from the look of the frames. Also, the finish was rubbing off of the frames: they were changing color.

Because I finally convinced them that giving up eyewear for several weeks was out of the question, instead of sending my glasses in to the lab, they sent new frames to Sears. In the process of waiting for them to decide to do that, there was another week's delay because the manager was filling in for a vacancy in Dallas. Again, nobody was authorized to handle warranty work.

By the time the frames arrived, it was spring. The woman in the store tried to put my lenses into the frames. She ran into the same problem as the previous guy.

The difference was that it took her over two hours to get the lens into the frames. As I watched her, she almost stabbed herself like the previous guy. The best part was when she brought over the photographer from across the way, who had previously worked at LensCrafters, to give it a try. The photographer had to give up when a customer complained, "We've been waiting 20 minutes to have our pictures taken!" I left with the same ugly hack on these frames as I had on my previous pair, but at least the frames were the right color.

By June, the manager said she could order me new glasses and that I could keep the old pair while new ones were ordered. That was an improvement. Again, a week of vacation on the manager's part came into play. This pair arrived in September. The lenses weren't polished as ordered, so I refused to take delivery.

That's where we sit right now. The manager says she has to work with the division manager. During some of this, Sears changed division managers, and the new one didn't want to honor the decision of the previous person. According to the new DM, I'm out of the warranty period. Out of warranty? The glasses have never, ever been right.

In the meantime, I bought a pair of glasses from another vender, so now it's just the issue of getting my money's worth or my money back. I'm going to have to tell them that if I were to take them to court over a few hundred dollars, a judge would think they're looking awfully silly for simply not making things right.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Sears dominance.
If you paid with a CC, consider doing a chargeback. Sears has a horrid reputation for basically anything (search sears at consumerist.com, you'll be amazed at the horror). Otherwise, consumerist.com also has some easy advice for taking a major corporation to small claims court. It is amazingly simple.

You could also try an EECB (executive email carpet bomb). I did this recently with ATT when their techs failed to install my DSL line 4 consecutive times. I emailed them on a weekday morning, and by noon that day, I had internet (kudos to them for that). They also tossed in 2 free months of service. Point being, moving to the top of the ladder can usually get results (though maybe not with Sears).

on the 93.1 topic, my friends and I were just commenting over the weekend about how all Madison seems to have is classic rock stations with 101.5, 105.9, 105.5, 105.1, 94.9 and the 93.1 so it made sense that one of them finally went away. It seemed that at any gives moment a Beatles tune, Van Halen, or Led Zeppelin is one of these channels. I think the Lake played a Beatles song every 15 minutes.

on the 93.1 topic, my friends and I were just commenting over the weekend about how all Madison seems to have is classic rock stations with 101.5, 105.9, 105.5, 105.1, 94.9 and the 93.1 so it made sense that one of them finally went away

Well, to be fair, only 93.1 and 101.5 were true 'classic rock' stations, as 94.9 is Oldies, 105.5 is progressive rock, and 105.1 plays anything and everything between 1960 and 2008. Even 93.1 and 101.5 were different, with 93.1 focusing more on the Beatles, Doors, Springsteen, etc, while 101.5 has always been more Led, Floyd, and 70's rock (Boston, Cheap Trick, Kansas, etc).

What's Bugging me....Asian Beetles. I love the mild weather that we are having in Wisconsin, but we are being overrun by Asian Beetles again. Although I am getting pretty good at flicking them across the kitchen when they land on our island. The only way to effectively get rid of them is to vacuum them up. You can't squish or swat them, because they excrete a smelly liquid when you do. Of course, they excrete the same smelly liquid in the vacuum cleaner bag, so that unless you change the bag after every battle with them, you have the smell of asian beetle juice every time you start the vacuum.

As I am sitting here in my living room, I was just annoyed by a Harley Davidson that went roaring down the street. It immediately made me think of the double standard that applies to motorcycles.

Why is it OK for a Harley Davidson to make as much noise as it does but if I drove a station wagon that made the same level of noise, I would be pulled over and given a ticket in a matter of seconds?

105.5 is progressive rock
In a state of shock and guarded glee, I had to check this out. Found the web site for WMMM, is that what you're referring to? They listed Sheryl Crow and OAR on their recently played list. It was pretty much anti-progressive rock.

(??)

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

Of course, they excrete the same smelly liquid in the vacuum cleaner bag, so that unless you change the bag after every battle with them, you have the smell of asian beetle juice every time you start the vacuum.

I have the same issue, but not with the beetles, but with parmesean cheese that my daughter often spills on the floor. Once that stuff is stuck in the vacuum bag, vacuuming is even less fun.

As for the beetles, I'm not sure if those are the same bugs as were called "Japanese beetles" when I lived in NJ. The local garden center there sold beetle traps that contained a scent which would attract love-seeking beetles into a plastic bag, where they couldn't escape. Like in the movie Bordello of Blood. Unhooking those bags and throwing them away was one of the more unpleasant things I've had to do in my life. Plus, it seemed as though I was drawing beetles from neighboring yards to mine, so I just stopped with the traps.

Valpo, I seem to recall your posts regarding your musical tastes...stay away from Triple M. For that matter, stay away from all Madison radio.

Triple M seems to be more of a hippie rock thing with a mix of new and old. It's audience would likely come from the Willy St. area and drink at the Crystal Corner.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

In a state of shock and guarded glee, I had to check this out. Found the web site for WMMM, is that what you're referring to? They listed Sheryl Crow and OAR on their recently played list. It was pretty much anti-progressive rock.

(??)

The times I've flipped to that station, they claimed to be playing "World-class rock". I have no idea what that means, but it sounds like something from web 2.0.

My 8-12 student employee called in sick, and my 12-4 student employee is going to the health service because she feels sick.

I think I'm going to get absolutely nothing done today (not to mention, forget about lunch).

Are either of them named "Chantelle"?

Cuz that's not the only thing that they did that might bug you. . .

What's bugging me? Kind of a small pet peeve, but I was watching FOX 6 on Sunday night to enjoy Simpsons, Family Guy, etc. Every single freaking commercial break, they bombard you with promos for their evening newscast, their morning show, and how great their reporters are in general. Personally, I dislike FOX 6 for some reasons I won't get into here, but watch their station because they're the only FOX affiliate we get in HD on our cable (Charter). Enough with the promos already, though! If I didn't care about your newscast about "the deadly high school sport that isn't what you think" after the first two dozen promos in an hour, the next dozen won't dissuade me.

Also what bugs me are repair men that don't give you a specific appointment time...only "tomorrow morning", and then aren't there by 11 AM...and also don't return your phone calls to top it off.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

WOLX in Madison said they'd hold off on their all-Christmas format until November 14, but they apparently couldn't help themselves and started on November 11.

Then the first song I heard was that uber-syrupy "Christmas Shoes" song. Apologies to those of you who find it inspirational. I'm not immune to sentimentality, but that song just lays it on too thickly for my taste. (For the record, we had the station tuned in on the car radio at the request of the S.O.)

Also, it seems like every time I listen to WOLX, the DJ is Gabe Buch (pronounced "bush). Every time he says his name, I think for a split second that he said "Dave Bush."

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived