Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2008)

Jimbo
  • Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Having this weekend's softball tournament cancelled late on Thursday afternoon, too late to get into other ones (feel even worse for the guys we had driving from 2-3 hours away that had already planned to take Friday afternoon off work to make it in time). Love catching up on bf.net overnight stories... but should be playing ball right now http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

I've never gone on this thread before...and I'm tired of burdening my friends with my useless complaints. What is bugging me is that my life is falling apart. My health is messed up, I had an allergic reaction to some unknown thing which forced me to make doctor appointments that I can't really afford (guess its better than losing my eyesight or dying). I can't find a teaching job and will have to be a substitute teacher this year (nothing against substitute teaching..just not where I thought I'd be this year) and my mother is gloating that I really wouldn't amount to nothing and that I should just apply at the factory where my dad works because that's where I was destined to go anyway. I've basically been on my own since I've been 17...put myself through college and I will not be able to get a job in my field. I get to hear friends, classmates, parents, and a random evil woman in Jo-Ann fabrics bragging about their teaching jobs/children's teaching jobs and I got noting. Its just been quite depressing and if I will do anything to fix what I have been going though. Top everything off I waited in line four hours and didn't get Ryan Brauns autograph..lol. I apologize for my essay...just needed a place to get this off of my chest. mods take off if appropriate.

Nothing wrong with subbing if you can handle the pay for a year or two, it gives you a lot more free time.

If you need easy cash, MS and I recommend picking up a delivery job, just a couple nights a week gives you plenty of cash on hand.

my mother is gloating that I really wouldn't amount to nothing and that I should just apply at the factory where my dad works because that's where I was destined to go anyway.

With all due respect, as she is your mother, that sucks... and I hope you, in a more diplomatic way than this, tell her to 'stick it'. If there's anyone that should be supporting you right now, it's your parents. Clearly, you know you have a better path. Don't let that drag you down. Sorry to hear about the roadblocks for you right now, but hopefully they're temporary. There's no need to apologize, nor is there concern that anyone would delete that post. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif A teaching job will eventually be there for you, and subbing will be a great experience-builder & resume addition.

What's bugging me? Crappy, self-absorbed, cheap, disgusting, pointless, vapid, moronic, trashy, vomit-inducing, world-killing 'reality' television spew. Thankfully I have Neil Young to drown out the bile.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

"I Know Everything" fantasy football guy is bugging me.

Look, Dude, that tight end you've been scouting since his freshman year at Central Connecticut might be a great sleeper pick, and you're right, you saw him first. Are we good now?

DHL has become a royal pain in....well you know where I was going with that. I have had the same cell phone for the last 4 years and it is finally starting to break down on me. I have to leave it plugged in because the battery won't hold a charge. Most likely I just need a new battery but it's an old phone. So I figure what the heck I will just renew my contract and get a nice shinny new phone. I ordered it and made sure that I would get in within 3-4 bussiness days because I hate being without my phone, eventhough I don't use it much I still like to have it. Well it has now been 8 bussiness days I contact AT&T they say it was shipped and give me the tracking information I head on over to DHL and they say it has been recieved.

Ok fair enough it's just a mixup, but when I contact their online help desk the customer service was less that stellar and might in fact be considered abysmal. At first things were polite I explain my situation give them the requested information. They check with the local office and when they get back to me their response is that there is no possible way that the package hasn't been delivered, although they cannot provide any proof of that. I then begin to get annoyed and start asking them what avenue's I have to find a solution to this problem, their response was to pick up the package because it has to at my door.

I will try and contact someone later but now I am contacting AT&T to see if they can help me, or at least hold off on the activation fee until I actually have the phone that I am being charged to activate. Ugh I hate foolishness like this.

Wow, five days since the last "what's bugging you" post.

The S.O. and I noticed something odd at a gas station in Madison - the "Gas U-Save" at 2801 University Avenue (I think it's on the corner with Franklin Avenue).

Maybe the collective know-how on this board can help us make sense of it.

The U-Save (previously the U-Pump) has for years had the cheapest, or nearly the cheapest, gas on the near west side; but now their posted price for gas is $4.19. In comparison, the Hilldale Shell and the Mobil stations a few blocks west on University, whose gas prices are usually among the more expensive in the area, are selling gas today for $3.71.

The S.O. read on a neighborhood email list that the Gas U-Save has become "full serve," hence the considerably higher price. This is what puzzles us. For years, this place has plied its trade on being the cheap fill-up, and they seemed to get a lot of business as a result. So what would be the value of switching to full serve and in the process turning their back on pretty much their entire customer base? Even if the full-serve information we have is inaccurate, why would you charge almost 50 cents a gallon more for gas than any of your competition - especially these days, when most everyone's freaking out about gas prices?

We drove by twice today, during prime Saturday errand-running hours, and no one was using the station (small sample duly noted). I didn't notice any "Full Serve" signs, but we didn't exactly want to slow way down on University to check carefully, and we didn't want to pull in and give any indication to the staff that we wanted to fuel up there.

Also weird is that the station has removed the roadside sign that displayed the gas price. Instead, the gas price is displayed on two LED signs in the front windows (so you have to turn your head away from traffic to see what they're charging). Is there a legal minimum standard for how prominently to display the price of gas? Even if their current method is legal, it doesn't seem very smart; if I weren't familiar with the streetscape in that area, it would be easy to just drive by and not even realize a gas station is there.

I feel like I should point out that I'm not one to obsess over gas prices. We just can't figure out what the owners are up to.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Hawing, that sounds like a change in ownership and business plan.

Everyone in Madison knows about the old "U-Pump" and these people may be feeding on the reputation of the "old" business. People may be pulling in out of habit and by the time they realize they're about to be gouged say screw it because they're already there.

I did read about this situation somewhere in the Madison media/e-media.

Not sure what it is they're doing.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

• 2 weeks later...

I know you're not kidding, but two years? Wow. So, I guess it bugs me that I didn't realize we've been living with this thread for two years.

And while I'm at it...UW-Madison could open its dorms up even a day or two sooner than they do anymore. I'm trying to staff my office so we can be ready for the start of classes (Tuesday morning), and the dormsters are only arriving now. I'll have time for like one interview tomorrow and that's not enough to fill my schedule. So I'll have to hire/orient/train people mostly next week, when it'll be busy.

/shakes fist at University Housing/

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Don't hate on on University Housing! The longer we have them on campus before class, the more rowdy they are (in Milwaukee anyway).

My feet and eyes and head and hair hurt from move in. But hopefully the students and their families are happy.

And it bugs me that loud motorcycles are riding by my window at all hours of the day. Stay by the Harley fest, please.

I hate the fact that I cannot finish a game while bowling. I had a 296 tonight due to nerves. What a wimp...

Have you had a 300 before? I always find that when I'm in a situation like this (though I wasn't last year...ugh), take a little extra time and breath. Not when you're already on the approach, but at the ball return...just take an extra second and think of a funny story, joke, or sing a song, whatever, just something to break it up. Don't take too much time, just enough.

Congrats on the nice game though....but I'm guessing you left the big 4? or let it out too far and the bucket? It's happened to a lot of people, don't sweat it....once you get your first one (if you haven't already) they'll seem to come easy as cake from then on.

Have you had a 300 before? I always find that when I'm in a situation like this (though I wasn't last year...ugh), take a little extra time and breath. Not when you're already on the approach, but at the ball return...just take an extra second and think of a funny story, joke, or sing a song, whatever, just something to break it up. Don't take too much time, just enough.

Congrats on the nice game though....but I'm guessing you left the big 4? or let it out too far and the bucket? It's happened to a lot of people, don't sweat it....once you get your first one (if you haven't already) they'll seem to come easy as cake from then on.

Thanks for the tip Parkside. I have not had a 300 in a sanctioned league yet so I get a bit nervous around the 10th or 11th ball. I'm not sure what the deal is but I need to get over it. I actually had 19 straight strikes going in to that ball so I was fairly locked in. It came off my hand a little slow and flattened out causing it to dive right at the last 6-10 inches or so. I left the 4-6-8-10...quite a strange leave but oh well, it happened. I guess there is always next week...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Archived