Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2010)

RightFieldCoder
Catch words and phrases bug me. They bug me a lot. Especially when they catch on all over the place. Corey Hart does not bat "in the 2 hole." He bats second. Perhaps players and managers use this type of jargon, but when others use it it is just ridiculous. Much like "getting a blow" or "taking a blow" in football as opposed to taking a break. Thank God "outlier" seems to be losing steam and hopefully will soon have run its course. Unforunately, "classless" continues to thrive; especially amongst 12 year olds, which makes it all the more annoying.

To piggyback off this, it really bothers me that "eighth-inning guy" has become an acronym (EIG) on a Yankees message board I frequent.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever had to switch doctors?

I recently had a change in my health insurance, which meant a new doctor. I can't believe the runaround and hassle that have come with it. I've answered the same questions a million times, and I've been told I cannot see the doctor I had just been told would be my new doctor, only to then receive notice of an appointment with the same new doctor.

Geez.

I'm not sure where Apple could make this clearer than putting it on their website, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time that I should have deauthorized iTunes before reformatting my hard drive and installing a new OS. If you don't, your old installation still counts as one of your five authorized computers.

I was able to deauthorize after the fact because I could boot from an external hard drive that was a "clone" of the previous installation. I don't think the majority would find themselves in that position. The usual solution is to log in and follow a process that deauthorizes all of your computers; Apple only allows that once a year.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Two women who I know are traveling together (because they spent the morning at my library) were in line in front of me at the Union grill at lunch today. Here is the conversation that unfolded:

Woman 1: Can I get a hamburger?

Grill employee (gesturing to rack of prepared burgers): They're right here.

Woman 2: Do you have hamburgers?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

That Russ Darrow Kia ad that's been playing non-stop on the radio is really annoying. The 867-5309/Jenny parody one.
The one annoying me is the Rudy Giuliani one for his motivational speech at the Bradley Center. Every 10 minutes...I swear.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

That Russ Darrow Kia ad that's been playing non-stop on the radio is really annoying. The 867-5309/Jenny parody one.
The one annoying me is the Rudy Giuliani one for his motivational speech at the Bradley Center. Every 10 minutes...I swear.

I don't think you understand. It's not $19 for you, it's $19 for your entire office!!

According to the commercial, when you brush with Colgate Total, you end up with "a lot less germs." We should be finding that our mouths have "a lot fewer germs."

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

definitely agree, Casey. no suprise that i left editorial work because of too few jobs--clearly, nobody uses editors anymore.

another one that bugs me is 'over' and 'under,' as in "It's under $20." over and under are geographic. really should be "It's less than $20."

The Madison Mini Marathon is scheduled for Saturday morning, starting and finishing outside the library where I work. To accommodate it, there will be a bunch of temporary street closures, including both streets of the intersection where our building sits. I thought it would be a kindness to send a list of the street closures from the marathon website to the librarian scheduled to work on Saturday - since she has been out of town for the last few weeks and thus might not have known about it.

Now she has sent me an email asking how she is supposed to get to work. This person is not my employee; I sent it only as a useful heads-up. Apparently no good deed goes unpunished.

If the experience was truly good, then yes.

I would and have. Consider it like internal exile.

i thought maybe i was being crazy for declining to apply to these jobs, but i thought again what it would be like living in the middle of nowhere for three years, and i think i'm just not going to do it.

If the experience was truly good, then yes.

I would and have. Consider it like internal exile.

i thought maybe i was being crazy for declining to apply to these jobs, but i thought again what it would be like living in the middle of nowhere for three years, and i think i'm just not going to do it.

I don't know if it makes you crazy. No one knows what works better for you than you do.

The Madison Mini Marathon is scheduled for Saturday morning, starting and finishing outside the library where I work. To accommodate it, there will be a bunch of temporary street closures, including both streets of the intersection where our building sits. I thought it would be a kindness to send a list of the street closures from the marathon website to the librarian scheduled to work on Saturday - since she has been out of town for the last few weeks and thus might not have known about it.

Now she has sent me an email asking how she is supposed to get to work. This person is not my employee; I sent it only as a useful heads-up. Apparently no good deed goes unpunished.

"Park 3 blocks away and walk your lazy non-google mapping self to work."

At least, that would be my cranky, rain soaked, flat-tire-changed-in-the-storm response tonight.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The goofs at MSNBC.com somehow think that Lou Pinella has spent 23 years in baseball. . .according to their headline writer, anyway.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38806232/ns/sports-baseball/

At least later in the body of the piece, the AP writer mentions that he has spent more than 50 years in baseball. And then later again, they say he's spent 48 years as a player, manager and executive.

Pick a number already!

If you are at a restaurant that has as many people waiting as there are sitting at tables, please be kind and vacate your table once your bill is paid. Those of us who are waiting for a table would kindly appreciate it if you could continue your conversation in the parking lot.

Someone who is currently on public assistance approached me in a store recently, to ask if I would let her buy my stuff on her card (they use a plastic card now, not paper food stamps anymore), and then she would have me hand her the cash outside the store, repaying her for my items. In case anyone missed that, the point was to use her food stamp card to get cash, so that she could buy things for herself which are not covered by the program.

OK, people need help sometimes in life, and times have been particularly tough for a while now...I have no issue at all with someone being on the food stamp program...but welfare fraud really ticks me off.

I nearly called the police, instead, I told the store manager what she was up to, and he booted her from the premises.

would you take a job in the middle of nowhere for two years if it meant getting "good experience?" (and no, you won't get rich.)
Doing it right now. Get back to me in three years.

On a related note, "a bird in the hand IS better than two in the bush".

well, here goes why, for the most part:

1. I'm 33 years old. I don't like the thought of being 35-37 when i finally can move to a place i enjoy. i'd be ok with it if i were 23.

2. I hate Wisconsin-type winters. a lot.

3. not ashamed to say i'd like to meet a girl and settle down. i don't see how moving to northern North Dakota (for example) helps my chances of this. this may very well be the #1 reason i hesitate to move to the middle of nowhere for a job. considering i'm 33, my window of meeting a never-been-married girl decreases quite a bit every year.

4. low-paying recreation jobs in a city i might enjoy offer at least some resume building.

5. i'm no social butterfly, but i anticipate a good degree of loneliness at a middle-of-nowhere job, and i don't handle that well at all. work in metro areas offer more an opportunity to make friends.

this isn't me trying to be defensive at all, just why i've been so hesitant to apply for jobs in the north or so far away from metropolitan areas. if i am off base with these reasons i'd become more open to the idea.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Bad parents.

I recently (just a few days ago) called 911 when I saw a pair of toddlers/young kids in a car with doors closed and windows rolled up.

The cops arrived as the lady was coming out of the store, and she had the nerve to freak out on me because all she was doing was "taking the cart back".

The lady was NOT IN SIGHT for at least 3 minutes while I waited for the cops. When it's 90 degrees out, that's too long. When your toddler kids are alone, that's too long.

Pet peeve #2 related to parents.

Referring to taking care of your own kids as BABYSITTING.

"Hey, let's go grab a few beers and watch the game at the pub".

"Nope, I gotta babysit tonight, the wife is closing"

NO. It's not babysitting when it's YOUR children. It's called BEING A PARENT.

If you refer to taking care of your kids as BABYSITTING it's obviously more of a chore for you than you'd like it to be. Don't have more.

Archived