Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2010)

RightFieldCoder
  • Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can understand the situation you're describing, and how an alternate route might be faster. I just disagree with the notion that the driver is at fault. What if they aren't familiar with the neighborhood? Google Maps or an in-dash GPS system is going to say "Turn Left at X street", not "Heavy Traffic between 4 and 6pm - continue on road and loop around at nearest gas station". To call this act selfish (TLB's post) implies that it's pre-meditated, which isn't the case 99% of the time.

Yeah, if I were in that situation it would kind of suck to wait the extra 2 minutes, but Lord knows I've unwittingly held other people up in my life too. Blame the city planner.

**Call me a hypocrite, but I do understand the frustration about people writing checks at the grocery store. At least date/sign it beforehand so that you can quickly fill in the dollars & cents.

I can understand the situation you're describing, and how an alternate route might be faster. I just disagree with the notion that the driver is at fault. What if they aren't familiar with the neighborhood? Google Maps or an in-dash GPS system is going to say "Turn Left at X street", not "Heavy Traffic between 4 and 6pm - continue on road and loop around at nearest gas station". To call this act selfish (TLB's post) implies that it's pre-meditated, which isn't the case 99% of the time.

I had to laugh at the thought of a GPS directing a driver to "continue on road and loop around at nearest gas station." Yeah, I agree with you, KegStand. When a driver is unfamiliar with an area, they have to stick with what they know (even if it holds up the folks behind them). If I were driving in an unfamiliar city, I would do the same thing.

However, I live in a city of 60,000 in North Dakota. We don't have a lot of visitors here, especially in the winter. My commute to and from work would be painless if I did not have to deal with an intersection that is in bad need of a four-way stop. To cross the street, I take a right at my first chance, drive a half block, and then cut through an Office Max parking lot. By my own judgement, this gets me through the intersection much faster than waiting for a gap in traffic, but I can't even make the initial right turn if the car in front of me insists on passing through the intersection. Sure, there are going to be visitors that that will need to stick to their directions. I get that and I'm fine with it, but there are many locals who should know better.

In retrospect, I should be articulating my thoughts at a city council meeting and not on this message board http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

We got my wife a new Dell Inspiron laptop a little over three months ago, and yesterday it would just not boot up properly at all. Tried to find the problem in safe mode and could not resolve it. Ended up completely reinstalling Windows 7, and it now seems to be working properly. Just kind of annoying that a computer that's basically still new would have a problem like that. She hasn't even been using it that extensively.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Great Bands and their leaders who think that since they have money they should influence how the rest of us act, vote, spend our money, etc. I am looking at you Bon Jovi, Bono, Diddy, etc.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

My major, major peeve is in a three-lane intersection with a left turn lane, along with two lanes that can go straight including the one furthest to the right. In rush hour, there's always a doofus sitting in the far right lane going straight and blocking a line of cars making right turns, while there's like one other car sitting in the other straight lane.
In Madison, the intersection at Whitney Way and Schroeder Rd is like this 100% of the time. I used to go through it every day on my way home from work, and I'm not exaggerating.

Once in awhile, I end up having to be that doofus for whatever reason, and I always feel really bad about it.

So the driver is supposed to go in the opposite direction of

where they need to go to appease the people behind him? Whose being

selfish here?

If the only "go straight" lane is also the right turn lane, its fine for obvious reasons. But I think the issue is if there are dedicated left turn, straight, and a straight/right turn lanes. In these situations, I think its a jerkish thing to do to go straight from the right turn lane (at least if you had a decent opportunity to move over into the correct lane).

Just be lucky you guys don't have any busy intersections where the left turn lane shares with the straight lane. You have a right turn lane and a left turn/straight lane. What genius would think up something like that?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

So the driver is supposed to go in the opposite direction of where they need to go to appease the people behind him? Whose being selfish here?

Makes perfect sense to me - after all, their time is far more valuable than mine.

That's hard to say, but my point is people should be bothered by the intersection itself, not the driver trying to get to where they need to go.

Just be lucky you guys don't have any busy intersections where the left turn lane shares with the straight lane. You have a right turn lane and a left turn/straight lane. What genius would think up something like that?
I've seen these. Makes you wonder who is in charge of some of these jurisdictions.

First post in this thread. I guess nothing bugged me until now.

Major issues today with Charter. Here's the situation, I am moving in with my brother who already has an account, so I needed to cancel mine, which was easy. They must do thousands of these a day. But here's the kicker, some of the cable outlets in his new house only the internet worked through the outlet, not the TV. So a tech has to come out and fix them. I set up an appointment for today for them to be here between 1 and 3. It is now quarter after 3 and still they have not been here.

So I call up Charter for the 3rd time today to see what the problem was. The idiot representative entered my phone number wrong, so when the tech tried to call me, they didn't get an answer. Now I've been on hold for the past 10 minutes waiting for the representative get a hold of the tech. It would be better if the hold sound was silence or music, but I've heard the same worthless promotions over and over again. Stop trying to sell me something. I don't care about how "great" a new land line phone can be.

Edit: It was the third time I had to call them because they can only help the name with person on the account. The first time I was me to cancel the account. The second time I had to play the role of my brother to get a tech out here. Good thing I know the last 4 digits of my brothers SS# and ready to steal his identity at any moment. The third time I called about my appointment.

It's nice you're having a little festival, Stallis. But seriously, turn the guy's vocals down who's playing two blocks from my apartment. He cannot sing a lick.. and I can't hear myself think.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It really bugs me when people talk loudly on their cell phones while riding a train and or bus.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

At the library last week, a guy called to pay a library fine, but was obviously talking to someone else when I answered. Then he said, "sorry, I just saw someone I knew."

Dude, you want me to help you or not?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

At the library last week, a guy called to pay a library fine, but was obviously talking to someone else when I answered. Then he said, "sorry, I just saw someone I knew."

Dude, you want me to help you or not?

You're nicer than me. *click* .... [dialtone] is what he would have heard from me. I'd figure if it's important to him, he'd call back.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Macha's gum chewing makes me want to go down to the dugout, rip the piece of gum out of his mouth and exclaim, "If you can't refrain from chewing gum like a horse, you are not going to chew gum." At least its keeping him awake I guess.

One side of my house is pretty tall...20 ft from ground to gutter. I currently don't own a ladder tall enough to get me up to clean the gutters and downspouts. To clean the gutters on that side of the house, I built this gutter cleaning apparatus out of PVC pipe. Worked great...until it got stuck in the opening to the downspout. Now I have to figure out a way to get the thing down out of the gutter. That is bugging me.

What I will probably will do is hop on my garage, pull a step ladder up, then climb on the high part of the roof. I just need someone to help hold the ladder. I hope I don't die...

We had a family emergency, I had to get my wife on a flight to Seattle ASAP. It took us 20 minutes to get an actual person on the phone...do you have any idea how aggravating that is, when you've just been told a family member has had a massive stroke, two time zones away?

Automation sucks.

Archived