Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2011)

DatHoser

I hate it when companies change automatic payment systems. While the phone company managed to notify me by e-mail, the trash collection company didn't notify me at all. I found out that they weren't getting paid when I happened to call them about something else.

Both required me to set things up from scratch, and both systems were complicated enough that I had to call for tech support during the setup. Things seem to be OK now, except for the fact that the trash company sends me a monthly payment notification even though they collect their money quarterly.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two things today...

1. I love dogs, but I won't take care of a dog that isn't mine in a house that isn't mine, unless their owners are not home. My sister pawns off doggy care to her guests, and it bothers me.

2. If I order an item on November 28 from Amazon, I should not be receiving a message saying the item will be shipped after December 25. I didn't know we had to purchase Christmas gifts 6 weeks ahead of time to get them on time. I understand I will probably get it in time, but the thought is ridiculous.

Two things today...

1. I love dogs, but I won't take care of a dog that isn't mine in a house that isn't mine, unless their owners are not home. My sister pawns off doggy care to her guests, and it bothers me.

2. If I order an item on November 28 from Amazon, I should not be receiving a message saying the item will be shipped after December 25. I didn't know we had to purchase Christmas gifts 6 weeks ahead of time to get them on time. I understand I will probably get it in time, but the thought is ridiculous.

#2 happened to me as well, but then I received a shipment notification a day later and got it today.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

While watching football, commercial breaks right after a commercial break. A score happens...then a commercial...a kickoff that lasts 5 seconds...and then another commercial break. Isn't one commercial break enough? Why can't the NFL be like the NHL where there aren't many commercials at all?

i don't notice the commercial breaks as much as i notice the in-game commercials: "This forward pass is brought to you by Nintendo!" and then in the middle of the show the Griffin Family pops up to take half the screen to dance around and advertise their next episode. if it isn't the Packers playing i don't watch the Superbowl anymore for just how much marketing gets jammed down our throats the whole time.

on that note i'll add that CBS Sports bugs me. their web page starts out with a regular-sized banner ad on top, so you start reading the headlines and you're fine. a few seconds later the banner ad expands to take up the whole screen, so you have to scroll down to read what you were reading. then a few seconds later the banner ad reduces in size again and you then have to scroll up to read what you were reading. it's really annoying, but it's still the best site i've found. if i go to ESPN, their page is just a mess with ads posted everywhere and then their subscription-only articles that it's hard to find just where the actual sports news is anymore.

i was sure that i was saving about $150 a month, but apparently i'm in the red about $250 a month, and all while i need the money to fly out to interviews and for a future move across the country. dang. it means i need a smaller food bill, and cooking is a hobby of mine; and no more going out to the bar, which represents my social life. but i just can't keep losing money the way i am.

Time for my annual family holiday rant...

Due to Christmas being on a weekend this year (and everyone working up to the 23rd), there is no possible way to squeeze my family and my wife's family Christmas into one weekend. We alternate Christmas Eve every year, and this year it's with my wife's family. We had planned on celebrating at my parents' house the weekend before (they live near Milwaukee, we live in Madison, my sister lives in Eau Claire). However, due to circumstances beyond anyone's control, my brother-in-law now has to work that weekend, which means we were going to go to my sister's house instead. It's not a big deal for us. However, my parents are traveling to Iowa for Christmas to see my grandparents, now they don't want to drive long distances two weekends in a row...never mind that my sister and I were both prepared to do that ourselves before plans got changed around.

I think you and Mrs. NeedMoreFans need to start a new tradition that would involve celebrating by yourselves out of state.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

NMF, if you were in my extended family, everyone would give you and Mrs. NMF a lifetime pass now that you're parents. Non-parenthood is why the S.O. and I spend every major holiday traveling. (That and my brother's allergy to cats.)

More seriously, couldn't you use Little NMF as a catalyst for change? Think about it.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 2 weeks later...

Figured out I have to let someone go today. Probably going to do it over the phone, because I know he won't react well and would try to make a scene. I hate not doing stuff like this in person, but I think it's for the best this time.

Edit: Actually ended up doing it about an hour ago and it went fine. He understood, and I think saw it coming. I'm feeling relieved now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a (paraphrased) conversation someone in the S.O.'s family had with me on Christmas Eve:

Relative: So! What's this I hear about Prince Fielder signing with the Cubs?

hawing: (flashing back to the Christmas Even Suppan signing and thinking OH CRAP to myself but not wanting to react that way outwardly, since some of the S.O.'s family favor the Cubs) Huh. Was that story new this afternoon? because I'd heard nothing about it before leaving for Kenosha at 2:00 today.

Relative: Oh, I don't know. I read it somewhere. Couldn't he go anywhere else?

hawing: (knowing this guy isn't much into baseball and so panicking less) Well, the Cubs have been one of several rumored suitors.

Then he went on to ask me if I'd heard about a MLB guy being kidnapped, and once it was obvious he was talking about Wilson Ramos' kidnapping as if it had just occurred (instead of it being over a month ago), I figured he was just looking for something to talk about.

But did it have to be that? Can't I just relax on Christmas Eve? And wouldn't it be just like the Cubs to snag our erstwhile big guy on Christmas Eve?

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

well, i downloaded a trojan on the work computer today. i think it was something through Reddit. and NO, i wasn't checking out the adult content. i've actually been kinda freaking out about it all day (i was the only one at work today and everyone comes in tomorrow).

of course everyone checks out non-work-related sites on the work computers, including the boss. but a virus on the computer is taken very seriously. last time a virus happened IT sent the boss a list of all the sites that had been visited. i deleted the reddit part of my browsing history, but i'm sure that doesn't matter to IT. a friend suggested downloading a virus remover and then uninstalling it, but i thought it would be better to just pay the price for the virus instead of risking the possibility of being caught downloading a program to a work computer.

i've been at work only 8 months and have already had three sit-down chats with the boss (one for forgetting to empty a trash can, but the boss takes that pretty seriously), and now this. not a good track record for being newer to the job. and it really doesn't help that i don't really fit in with the prevailing work culture. for a while i was wondering if i was going to get the talk of "all these little mistakes are adding up and it's not working that you're doing a maintenance job but don't know maintenance, so time to walk." it was two weeks after my review that he went to a bunch of other coworkers to ask how i was doing on the job, which was odd.

it's stressful going to a job and wondering if you're walking a thin line of being fired or not. and ironically i've been looking for a new job, so i really just want to hold out there for a few more months. it's a black mark to have to admit to being fired (despite a decent excuse) from your last position.

i've calmed down a bit thinking that more than likely i'll get a write-up about it. not good pride-wise but irrelevant when you'll be moving on soon. ugh.

post: yep, gonna get screamed at and written up (at least) next Monday. IT was livid and has sent a rundown of websites i was on this weekend.

Hammer, I'm going through the same thing right now.

I'm also learning the downfalls of day care. At day care, my daughter is always around someone, even if it's another little one. Day care is closed this week, so I am home with her on my own today, and she won't play alone. It is making my day very unproductive.

Hammer, I'm going through the same thing right now.

I'm also learning the downfalls of day care. At day care, my daughter is always around someone, even if it's another little one. Day care is closed this week, so I am home with her on my own today, and she won't play alone. It is making my day very unproductive.

Same here NMF. My wife has the pleasure of entertaining a teething 5 month old and a bored 6 year old. Glad I'm actually working this week!!

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I'm listening to the Mark Belling (Milwaukee area radio host for those that don't know) year end quiz on podcast (it occurred last night).

Question : Who was the number one catcher for the Milwaukee Brewers in 2011?

First answer : George Kottaras?

Next four answers: No idea

Caller number six was finally able to get the correct answer. It blew me away that many callers didn't know this.

edit: JaDerHeyski's response when I told her: "Maybe he only went to Randy Wolf starts?"

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

And some people insists the average fan isn't a casual one.

Heck, Todd Rosiak said in today's blog that ARI has a platoon of Jason Kubel/Geraldo Parra in LF. I immediately thought to myself that they both hit LH, so that was insanity, but only geeks like me notice that.

Ask people at a game who #42 is whose retired number...hardly anyone knows. I've overheard that conversation several times at MP, and Frank Robinson is always the guess, though no one knows if he played for the Braves or Brewers.

Ask people at a game who #42 is whose retired number...hardly anyone knows. I've overheard that conversation several times at MP, and Frank Robinson is always the guess, though no one knows if he played for the Braves or Brewers.
Frank Robinson??? I thought it was GLENN Robinson!

-----

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=30508

Archived