Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2011)

DatHoser
I have the opposite problem. The guy who has season tickets next to me at Camp Randall groans and moans on every Badger offensive play that isn't a touchdown or a huge gain and if they give up a yard on defense the same thing. He seriously yells and complains about blocking on 6 yard first down runs. He's done it every game for 5 years, it is now comical to whomever I bring with me to the games as his exaggerated expectations for every single play become the inside joke between us. The other team can throw a bubble screen to the wideout, the WI DB can knife in between blockers and tackle the guy for a 1 yard gain or no gain and this fan will complain the DB should have intercepted it.

My wife can't believe he even enjoys the game the way he complains about every play. I can't imagine him watching a baseball and what his expectations of every pitch would be, a double off the wall would probably leave him apoplectic because Braun didn't hit it out or something.

This reminds me a great deal of the guy who sits behind us at UW men's hoops games. Nothing is good enough and it's always OK to crap on the college kids who missed the dunk or whatever. He has a rotation of people he brings with him who enable and contribute to this behavior. I too have been tempted to turn around and ask why they come to games, or if they really think they could do better themselves.

The worst part was a few years ago, when he and his chums were ragging on Andreas Helmigk, pretty much because he was foreign. I was sorely tempted to ask why they didn't rip on Kirk Penney too.

Anyway, I remember, MJLiverock, that my S.O.'s sister's football tickets are not far from yours. She came back from the Oregon State game and said she felt surrounded by OSU fans, enough to wonder if that's where they seat visiting fans now. She was not at the UNLV game, so we don't know if this is the new normal for that section or just how it was for OSU. Maybe I'll ask if she has noticed this guy. (If we get to a game with her at all, it won't be until after baseball ends...so I hope it takes a while. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have this irrational hatred of Bluetooth earpieces and the nimrods who wear them. It's like they are saying "I'm just SO important that I have to be contactable at all times, instantly". And judging by the sweat pants and stained T-shirt, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "errr, no, really you aren't that important".

I assure you that your hatred is completely rational.

I have this irrational hatred of Bluetooth earpieces and the nimrods who wear them.
The (related) thing that gets me is when I see someone walking around, seemingly talking to themselves, and I have to either wonder whether s/he's talking to him/herself (i.e. crazy) or talking to someone else via a Bluetooth thing in his/her ear (arguably a subset of crazy).

This is especially challenging if the earpiece is in the other ear from the side I can see.

Someone who works in my building does this a lot, literally pacing the hallway outside the library entrance. He adds to the crazy look by talking very actively with his hands. Dude.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

i just don't understand why people want to be so connected in the first place, whether it's a bluetooth headset or walking down the street with a phone in their face. last time i went out with four other college-age kids we sat at a table at the bar not speaking while they all sat there and texted. it's sad that we're now immediately connected to all our friends, but that's also made people a lot less sociable. no wonder the average age when people marry is up--nobody knows how to communicate in person anymore.

another thing that bugs me: people who come to the campground and pitch some tents, and then from the back of their car, pull out their 200-lb, 40" television set. you can't go a single weekend without television and you'd go to all that trouble just to have it? is the latest SpongeBob so vitally important to see?

The (related) thing that gets me is when I see someone walking around, seemingly talking to themselves, and I have to either wonder whether s/he's talking to him/herself (i.e. crazy) or talking to someone else via a Bluetooth thing in his/her ear (arguably a subset of crazy).

The worst thing is when I think the person you describe is talking to me.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Hawing, I too noticed a fair amount of Oregon State fans in the the section but not really any UNLV fans. I was somewhat surprised at how many Oregon State fans were at the game in general, every where I went there was an Oregon State fan or two. Sort of like ASU last year, a good number of fans travelled. I remember there being a pretty good number of ASU fans up in our area last year too.

She may not hear the guy next to me from behind him, he isn't overly loud compared to the crowd, just a constant grumbler about every play. It really is amazing anyone can enjoy a game if they expect a first down on every offensive play and a sack on every defensive play. His wife is at every game with him tuning him out but usually texting their daughter the play by play which amazes me since their daughter is a student and is actually at most of the games based on my conversations with them.

GAME05 - - I can't imagine seeing someone pull out a TV like that tent camping. I 've seen guys with motor homes and big tow behind campers with a TV during Packer season but never to just watch TV. Listening the Brewer game or in the fall catching a World Series game on the radio while sitting around the fire is about as good as it gets.

i just don't understand why people want to be so connected in the first place, whether it's a bluetooth headset or walking down the street with a phone in their face. last time i went out with four other college-age kids we sat at a table at the bar not speaking while they all sat there and texted. it's sad that we're now immediately connected to all our friends, but that's also made people a lot less sociable. no wonder the average age when people marry is up--nobody knows how to communicate in person anymore.
I actually broke up with a girl because she couldn't go an hour and a half without texting/tweeting/facebooking when we would go out on a date. It is amazing that people do not consider that sort of behavior rude, but if I were on a date with the girl and I was watching the Brewers game while talking to her.... rudest. thing. ever.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Listening the Brewer game or in the fall catching a World Series game on the radio while sitting around the fire is about as good as it gets.
if i was dating a girl and she said that, i'd immediately ask her to marry me.

anyone ever work a rotating shift schedule before? if so, how did you manage to get to sleep?

this isn't a one-time thing for me, as i have trouble sleeping every time i go from the night shift to the day shift. (the other way around isn't too bad.) as it is, i'm entering my fourth day off work after doing the night shift, and i'm still not asleep at 4 am, which is right about the time i'll have to wake up monday morning. i'll probably try to stay awake at this point, though i've tried this before and i still never slept the next night.

the only thing that i've found that remotely works are two sleeping pills and a bottle of wine, which is a recipe for a deeper sleep than i'm looking for.

rotating shifts, working holidays, cleaning bathrooms, draining septic tanks, working in 100+ heat, emptying stinky trash all morning, low pay....i love my job! kids, this is what a good education will get you.

Game,

When I was in college, I worked swing shift during summers. By August, I didn't know if I was coming or going. Not what you want to hear, but the long-timers did tell me that winters were much better to adapt to. I don't know the difference in daylight between northern WI and TX, but hopefully you'll get enough of a break from daylight to get you some sleep come winter time.

sorry, Hoser, i remembered from some of your answer that i think i asked this question before. i'm debating volunteering for all overnight shifts. the other rangers don't like them, so i could do it, but i'll miss a lot of the daytime once it gets to be winter and the weather here is so nice.

i may see what i can do about getting some kind of prescription. over-the-counter pills can get me to sleep, but the sleep is so light that i'll wake up in the middle of the night and stay awake.

but in the end, i probably just have to put up with all of this until about March. it's hard to be an out-of-state job applicant, especially now, but i'm dissatisfied with my current job enough that i'll probably move to Denver or Asheville then and suffer through low-paying work (if i can even find that) as i try to look for something career-oriented. would look bad on the resume is the problem, though.

Find a way to get a dark room. Like, pitch black. Even if it is done by building a fort with blankets over your bed. It will help you sleep in the mornings/daytime immensely.

Think about either a white noise machine, or a fan, or something of that ilk if noise is waking you up.

Lay off the caffeine, cut way back, and don't have any within 3 hours of when you are trying to sleep.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived