Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2011)

DatHoser
Drew Olson makes my head hurt.

Today on the D-List, he was arguing that he knew McGehee and Yuni would turn it around because "they have a track record." I think he was saying that Yuni has a track record of being good. The worst part was that he said something along the lines of: "everything evens out. If you flip a coin ten times and you get a bunch of heads, you KNOW that the next ten times you're going to get a bunch of tails."

I mean, come on, even if you try to argue that a hot hitter will stay hot and vice versa, you have to know that there is no such thing as a hot coin.

I would like to play poker with Drew Olson, however.

I think you're oversimplifying what hewas saying. He was advocating for the Brewers mangerial approach which takes the long-term view that guys who under perform will eventually return to the mean. Rather than calling up a guy like Green with great AAA numbers, but you don't know how he'll perform in MLB. I know that people on this board widely don't agree with that approach, but I don't think he was ever calling Yuni "good." Just better than he has been.

As far as the coin analogy, I think he oversimplified it too. It is one of the first things they teach you in stats class tho, the more you flip a coin the closer and closer it tends to get to be a 50-50 split.

With the coin analogy, the odds are always 50-50. Even if you get 10 heads in a row, the odds are still 50-50 on the next flip.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IT'S GOOD MOOD FOOOOOOD!
That's horrible. Bringing that song back into my head ought to be a bannable offense.

If by "Good Mood" they mean heartburn, upset stomach, indigestion, and feeling like an utter failure, then Arby's does indeed put me in a good mood.

Wasps and hornets. I have a 2 story house, and I have 2 nests in places I cannot reach with the ladders I have. One is at the top of my chimney. They got into an opening where the siding and the top of the chimney meet. Then I have a nest in my soffit on the tall side the house that is highest off the ground. I hope those hornets are not making their way into my attic.

He was advocating for the Brewers mangerial approach which takes the long-term view that guys who under perform will eventually return to the mean. Rather than calling up a guy like Green with great AAA numbers, but you don't know how he'll perform in MLB. I know that people on this board widely don't agree with that approach

Most of the stat guys believe players will return to the mean. The disagreements come about where the mean for each player is.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It bugs me when the "random thoughts" thread has more posts than this one.

That's odd that the threads are so close in posts. But what's also odd is that the Random Thoughts thread has 10,000 more views than the Bugging You.

I guess that means people are more interested in what perplexes others than in what angers them.

Dopes.

Wasps and hornets. I have a 2 story house, and I have 2 nests in places I cannot reach with the ladders I have. One is at the top of my chimney. They got into an opening where the siding and the top of the chimney meet. Then I have a nest in my soffit on the tall side the house that is highest off the ground. I hope those hornets are not making their way into my attic.
I've found that the wasps and hornets that get into my house are too stupid to cause a problem. I can get them with a fly swatter or the vacuum cleaner.

If you want to knock off the insects, there are sprays that will reach from a distance. The trick is to read the directions. Some should be sprayed at night and others during the day. That doesn't get rid of the nest itself, but it removes the main concern.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I sprayed, but it only gets to the entrances. It won't get into the nest itself, so I can't kill the whole thing.

In a related topic, I discovered there are at least 3 cicada killer wasp holes in my lawn. Never heard of them? They are wasps that are about 2 inches long. They build burrows in the lawn, then hunt cicadas and bury them in the holes. They like dry lawns, and my lawn is perfect (haven't mowed in over 3 weeks due to a very dry July).

The constant stream of "but they're the best fans in baseball" in reference to Cardinals fans. We get it. They're self-righteous. They're douchey. No one buys their schtick. Every time they leave the game early or boo or say something dumb, multiple people on facebook, twitter and in comment sections say "but, you can't make fun of them, they're the best fans in baseball."

You just sound bitter and jealous.

FOX's theme song for MLB games is the same as their theme song for NFL games. I think that song has been used for at least a decade, so it always makes me think football is coming on.

The NFL preseason coverage is also annoying. I like NFL football, I really do. I just don't care about the results of every preseason game.

FOX's theme song for MLB games is the same as their theme song for NFL games. I think that song has been used for at least a decade, so it always makes me think football is coming on.

The NFL preseason coverage is also annoying. I like NFL football, I really do. I just don't care about the results of every preseason game.

Along the same lines, I find it hard to believe that WTMJ decided to broadcast a Packers pre-season game ahead of a Brewers game in August yesterday. We are a first-place team playing a division rival during the regular season and they choose to broadcast an exhibition game?

It might be part of the contract provisions. I don't believe that WTMJ will displace a Packers game for a Brewers game unless there are very direct post-season implications.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

The Brewers game was before the Packers game. What WTMJ decided was that the pre-game show for a Packers pre-season game was more important than the Brewers game. Sorry, I'd rather listen to Uke instead of 3 hours of a pre-game show for a pre-season football game. Really WTMJ?

Yeah, it really doesn't speak highly of a flagship station for a first place baseball team. I know that there are far fewer football games than baseball games, but can you imagine Brewers pre-game exhibition game coverage being played over a Packers game in December if the Packers were in first place? Just seems real insulting to the Crew.

Yeah, agreed. I was at a family reunion, and unfortunately forgot to bring my own pocket radio. My dad had his, but it only gets AM (the FM antenna broke or something). Couldn't get the game in at all, since the local AM affiliate here also switched the Brewers game to their FM subsidiary. I just find it hard to believe that many Packers fans are tuning in three hours before the Packers game for pre game coverage (which is usually pretty inane, IMHO). It's excessive and insulting to the Brewers, like DocLuna said.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

All the decisions based on priority are contractual and money based, they are not spur of the moment. I assume the Packers' pre-game advertisers are guaranteed WTMJ with no exceptions.

The Brewers spoke a couple years ago about going with a lesser radio station that would basically feature them, but decided not to.

Yeah, it really doesn't speak highly of a flagship station for a first place baseball team.
Kind of like that "Brewers Extra Innings" show where I feel more knowledgable about the Brewers than either of the TMJ dudes? A 45-year-old woman? That's right.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

"Cards TV announcer calling Pujols "Albert Puholts"."

Repeat after me, cards announcers, its pronounced "poo holes". That's right, "poooooo hooooles".

Whenever Bill Schroeder says his name it sounds like Poe-holes.

Called the Brewers Fan Zone today asking if they still had Bierbrauer shirts/jerseys left (was told they sold them at the game on Sunday). They only have a couple jerseys left, and do not plan on ordering anymore because it was a one-time deal. I am highly disappointed in the Brewers for not exploiting the high demand there is for this design. They could make a mint off of sales of these shirts.

DocLuna7[/b]]
Funketown[/b]]FOX's theme song for MLB games is the same as their theme song for NFL games. I think that song has been used for at least a decade, so it always makes me think football is coming on.

Along the same lines, I find it hard to believe that WTMJ decided to broadcast a Packers pre-season game ahead of a Brewers game in August yesterday. We are a first-place team playing a division rival during the regular season and they choose to broadcast an exhibition game?

Yeah, not sure how long you have been a Brewer fan, but get used to it. This has always bugged me regardless of what place the Brewers are in. An exhibition game should NEVER supersede a regular season game. Over the years, I have learned to live with this the best I can, but it still steams me.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Called the Brewers Fan Zone today asking if they still had Bierbrauer shirts/jerseys left (was told they sold them at the game on Sunday). They only have a couple jerseys left, and do not plan on ordering anymore because it was a one-time deal. I am highly disappointed in the Brewers for not exploiting the high demand there are for this design. They could make a mint off of sales of these shirts.
This seems very weird to me. I figured they would be a semi permanent thing.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

DocLuna7[/b]]
Funketown[/b]]FOX's theme song for MLB games is the same as their theme song for NFL games. I think that song has been used for at least a decade, so it always makes me think football is coming on.

Yeah, not sure how long you have been a Brewer fan, but get used to it. This has always bugged me regardless of what place the Brewers are in. An exhibition game should NEVER supersede a regular season game. Over the years, I have learned to live with this the best I can, but it still steams me.

The media is reason number one why the Packers franchise bugs me.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived