Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2013)

fondybrewfan
  • Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, I don't personally consider it to be rude… or maybe a better way to say this is that it's technically rude but it doesn't offend me. Or an even better way to say it might be that one way is more polite than the other without getting into rudeness at all. :)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

What now qualifies as "Breaking News" is bugging me.

I watch channel 4 news everyday before I leave for work. I would say that on most days they state that they are following "breaking news". However, most of the time it's something like a house fire in Elkhorn or something like that. That's not "breaking news". A 3 alarm fire in downtown Milwaukee that effects several buildings or a high rise is breaking news. A house fire in Elkhorn is not.

I subscribe to CNN breaking new reports. When there is a plane crash or tsunami or something along those lines I find it informative. However, over the last days they have been sending emails every time someone in the Jury of the George Zimmerman trial has a bowel movement. Until they actually come to a verdict, I could care less about when they eat lunch, take a break, or what the mothers of Zimmerman or Martin have to say (which have also been topics of their "breaking news" emails).

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Yesterday I was going to smoke some chicken and pork, but it was rainy so I couldn't. It's been an incredibly rainy July, though I won't complain that it hasn't yet hit 90 degrees here in the month.

Whole Foods likes to remind me with big scary red lettering that garbage goes to landfills. But they have no problem selling crappy "heirloom" tomatoes and figs from California when good heirloom tomatoes and figs grow like a weed in July down here, and can be had at a Farmers' market for half the price.

What now qualifies as "Breaking News" is bugging me.

I watch channel 4 news everyday before I leave for work. I would say that on most days they state that they are following "breaking news". However, most of the time it's something like a house fire in Elkhorn or something like that. That's not "breaking news". A 3 alarm fire in downtown Milwaukee that effects several buildings or a high rise is breaking news. A house fire in Elkhorn is not.

I subscribe to CNN breaking new reports. When there is a plane crash or tsunami or something along those lines I find it informative. However, over the last days they have been sending emails every time someone in the Jury of the George Zimmerman trial has a bowel movement. Until they actually come to a verdict, I could care less about when they eat lunch, take a break, or what the mothers of Zimmerman or Martin have to say (which have also been topics of their "breaking news" emails).

Channel 4 news would be a great parody for SNL. With Dirty Dining, Speedbusters and Mugshot of the Day they have plenty of material to work with.

Some of the teasers are as bad as the breaking news. They completely misrepresent the actual story. Of course, once the actual story is "reported," that tends to be a misrepresentation too.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

One time my wife told me that she was watching the morning national "news" and they reported that teenage pregnancies in the US are at an all-time high, with one out of every three US teenagers birthing a child. A quick google search revealed that teenage births in the US are actually at an all-time low, with only one out of every thirty or so teenagers giving birth.

Although the Ron Burgundy-esque reporting of the SF news station after the plane crash was pretty amusing.

One time my wife told me that she was watching the morning national "news" and they reported that teenage pregnancies in the US are at an all-time high, with one out of every three US teenagers birthing a child. A quick google search revealed that teenage births in the US are actually at an all-time low, with only one out of every thirty or so teenagers giving birth.

Although the Ron Burgundy-esque reporting of the SF news station after the plane crash was pretty amusing.

For those that didn't see what Funketown is talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCNWH9cGyMk

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Florida juries.

I'd redirect your anger at the laws. I don't have any issue with what the jury came up with considering the evidence presented and how the Florida laws are currently written. Doesn't make it "right", but I didn't see how the jury could find him guilty based on what was presented during the trial.

Meanwhile in an unrelated case in Florida, a woman was sentenced for 20 years for firing a weapon in the air as "warning shots" to keep her abusive husband at bay. Had she aimed the gun at her husband and shot him (maybe even have killed him), she could have argued for the "stand your ground" protection and may have walked free. The laws in that state are wacky.

Gruber Lawffices

One of my student employees recently left for a "real" (post college) job. I'm now realizing how minutiae-based email communication skills were not that person's forte.

Fortunately, the new job should include plenty of face to face communication, at which this person is quite good.

I'm going to have to remember this for future hires, though, because my office does a LOT of emailing, and most of the correspondence is minutiae-based.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The lack of A/C in my vehicle and house. I live with two other early 30 professionals and we do not have an air conditioner because one of them deems it unnecessary. Meanwhile I go to sleep every night sweating like I have malaria.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Can you get a window unit for your bedroom?

I don't see how you can do this, and to the guy who deems it unnecessary, how about thinking of the other 2 people you live with. geez.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The lack of A/C in my vehicle and house. I live with two other early 30 professionals and we do not have an air conditioner because one of them deems it unnecessary. Meanwhile I go to sleep every night sweating like I have malaria.

Ugh. Just...ugh. I would either find new roommates or tell the one idiot that you don't care what he deems necessary or not.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sea Gulls

Everyday when I walk from the parking lot to my work (maybe 300 feet) there seems to be one stupid seagull with a mission to torment me endlessly. That stupid thing divebombs me and pulls up about 2 feet over my head. Scares the crap out of me. At least he hasn't taken a dump on me yet. No one else at my work is having this problem.

Ugh. Just...ugh. I would either find new roommates or tell the one idiot that you don't care what he deems necessary or not.

You can get a small air conditioner for $125-$400, plug it in, turn it on, close the door, and tell your sweaty roommate to eat it. No housing arrangement will last if someone in the house is miserable.

------

i always feel like i should include something that bugs me on this thread instead of just comment, so i guess having to do 1.5 hours of unpaid "preparation" work for my job every day bugs me.

I know with the job market right now employers have the upper hand, but this shouldn't be happening. I remember there was a case a few years back, where a guy had to spend something like 45 minutes every day putting on his gear before his job (I can't remember what he did exactly). He ended up suing and winning for back wages.

that's interesting. although maybe there's a difference that i'm paid only on commission. and if i'm paid to fertilize a lawn, i guess that means i have to spend the extra time to put fertilizer in my truck (etc.). the job runs to November and i have zero intention of returning for a second season. so mostly i just don't care enough about the job to want to go through the hassle of the court system for what would amount to maybe $3000 of back wages.

------

i always feel like i should include something that bugs me on this thread instead of just comment, so i guess having to do 1.5 hours of unpaid "preparation" work for my job every day bugs me.

I know with the job market right now employers have the upper hand, but this shouldn't be happening. I remember there was a case a few years back, where a guy had to spend something like 45 minutes every day putting on his gear before his job (I can't remember what he did exactly). He ended up suing and winning for back wages.

that's interesting. although maybe there's a difference that i'm paid only on commission. and if i'm paid to fertilize a lawn, i guess that means i have to spend the extra time to put fertilizer in my truck (etc.). the job runs to November and i have zero intention of returning for a second season. so mostly i just don't care enough about the job to want to go through the hassle of the court system for what would amount to maybe $3000 of back wages.

http://www.dol.gov/compliance/topics/wages-commissions.htm

Basically, if they aren't paying you minimum wage for the hours you work (this includes overtime -- more than 40 hrs a week) then you should be due back wages.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

It a'int just Milwaukee.

It's become pretty universal. Heck, I'd venture to guess that the people who use turn-signals and know the rule of "right-of-way" are now in the minority of drivers.

Its even worse when driving an emergency vehicle. For some reason people see cute flashing red and blue lights on large red trucks and completely forget how to operate their vehicles. Our trucks are equipped with Opticom which trips the light giving us a green in our direction of travel. There have been several occasions where people see the light change green and will speed up to beat the light before us. It doesnt help that Drivers Ed isnt a requirement for obtaining a license here in AZ.

Formerly AirShuttle6104

Archived