Brewer Fanatic

What's bugging you? (2013)

fondybrewfan
I bought five green tomatoes on Saturday to make fried green tomato BLT's. My wife left them in a brown paper bag in the pantry. Now I have three green tomatoes and two orange tomatoes.

Tomatoes change color even after being picked. Obviously.

I think his complaint was that they ripened faster because they were left in a bag in the pantry. Had they been left out they wouldn't have ripened as fast.

I am not sure if the bag would make a difference. I know that if you pick tomatoes when they are partially ripe and leave them sit out they will ripen. My guess is the problem was having them in the pantry instead of the fridge. I am not sure that would make a difference. If you want green tomatoes to stay green you have to pick them pretty early. Of course if you don't grow them yourself that is out of your hands.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, they turn orange way faster out of the fridge, and I think they also turn orange faster in the brown paper bag, though I can't really corroborate that. Had she put them in the fridge, I would have had five green tomatoes, but I only had three because of her unfortunate error. This might be considered irreconcilable now. I mean, that's forty cents I will never get back...

Yea, they turn orange way faster out of the fridge, and I think they also turn orange faster in the brown paper bag, though I can't really corroborate that. Had she put them in the fridge, I would have had five green tomatoes, but I only had three because of her unfortunate error. This might be considered irreconcilable now. I mean, that's forty cents I will never get back...

If you are in Wisconsin, you are already responsible for twenty of those forty cents.

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

That the local "sports media" still thinks that Marco Estrada is not a starting pitcher, despite him putting up as good as, if not better numbers than Yovani over the last 3 years.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

At the risk of turning this into a topic that belongs in the "Major League" forum, not sure how you can state that Estrada has put up numbers that are "as good as, if not better than" Gallardo's. It's not that I'm some huge Gallardo fan, but to be fair, Gallardo has pitched a total of 540 innings in 2011-2013 to Estrada's 311. So, it's like comparing a starter to a middle reliever. Also Gallardo put up ERA's of 3.52 and 3.66 in 2011 and 2012. While Estrada posted 4.10 and 3.69 in just little more than half the innings that Gallardo tossed.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I'll add to the whole TWC "what's bugging me" list that is in this thread.

So, our company needs to upgrade it's internet connection in order to make our offsite backups run more efficiently. It's somewhat of an urgent issue. So, we signed a contract with TWC on August 8th to increase our internet speed. At the time we were told that someone would contact us "within the next few days" to set up an appointment. We just got a call today (after numerous unreturned messages were left with them asking to expedite the request). The soonest they can get someone in is on the 22nd. So a full two weeks after we signed the contract.

When I asked why it took so long to contact us it was explained to me that there is a 24-48 hour turn around that each person in the chain has. The person on the 8th used their full 48 hours to get it to the next person. So then next person got it on the 12th and used their full 48 hours to get it to the next person on the 14th. That person used their full 48 hours before they contacted us today to schedule an appointment. Why it takes 3 departments to handle this and why they are each given up to 48 hours to do anything is beyond me.

Needless to say....we will be shopping for a new internet provider.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Whoever has jurisdiction over South 43rd Street either needs to enforce the speed limit or raise it. Or maybe both things need to happen: raise the speed limit to 30 mph and make sure people obey it. It's a joke as things are right now.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'll take ownership for that one. I don't think I've ever gone slower than 30mph on 43rd. But it is a street I only use ~10 times a year.

What's bugging me is that for a second night in a row I didn't see my gate supervisor last night. I went back to ask my ticket taker where she was. During the road trip her doctor told her she had to take it easy so she retired. She was one of the best employees the Brewers had, and someone I considered a friend for the past 11 years. Miller Park will not be the same without you Jean.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I bought five green tomatoes on Saturday to make fried green tomato BLT's. My wife left them in a brown paper bag in the pantry. Now I have three green tomatoes and two orange tomatoes.

This question may "bug" some of you, but I've always wanted to try a fried green tomato. Is there a special trick to frying one up, or do you just fry them, simple as that?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What's bugging me is that for a second night in a row I didn't see my gate supervisor last night. I went back to ask my ticket taker where she was. During the road trip her doctor told her she had to take it easy so she retired. She was one of the best employees the Brewers had, and someone I considered a friend for the past 11 years. Miller Park will not be the same without you Jean.

Aw, we had a similar experience almost exactly 10 years ago. The woman who staffed the terrace level Guest Relations booth disappeared during that awful September 2003 Cubs series that left Cubs fans way too happy. The first report was that she had bronchitis. The next report was that she had lung cancer. She never returned to MP and died that December.

It bugged me that we never got to say goodbye and thanks face to face. Her daughter still works at MP (based in the same guest relations booth) and at the end of the '03 season I gave her a card to give to her mom, so at least we indirectly got to say thanks.

I've read enough threads and heard enough stories to know that some MP employees are jerks (as would be the case in any workplace), but we have been fortunate to come to know quite a few good people there.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

My son picked up his HS yearbook a couple of weeks ago. He was in 5 sports/activities. They spelled his last name wrong in 3 of the 5 pictures. It is a common last name (according to one site I found, there are about 140,000 people with this last name in the U.S.) that is not hard to spell at all (one syllable).

• 2 weeks later...

Last week at a department meeting at school, one of our assistant principals mentioned that she was looking for someone to fill an open coordinator position at our school and it would result in a 20% pay raise. I came forward as being interested. Today, she informed me that the head principal asked someone else to fill the position before this meeting, and didn't bother to tell the assistant principal. So instead of interviewing people for this position, she asked someone to take it on. My school's principal has favorites that she asks to do stuff all the time, and I'm clearly not one of the favorites.

I let the assistant principal know my disappointment and how I have been wanting an opportunity like this for some time. I am looking at becoming a principal at some point in my life, and I figured stuff like this will look good when it comes to actually applying for principal positions down the road. The head principal did something similar with another position this week...appointed rather than interviewed. It bothers me a lot that people who would be strong leaders are completely ignored because the administration does not make an effort to find out who are natural leaders...they just assume.

It bothers me a lot that people who would be strong leaders are completely ignored because the administration does not make an effort to find out who are natural leaders...they just assume.

That happens in all walks of life. It has more to do with people being lazy and not actually making an effort to find the right or best person, just the quickest solution.

It bothers me a lot that people who would be strong leaders are completely ignored because the administration does not make an effort to find out who are natural leaders...they just assume.

That happens in all walks of life. It has more to do with people being lazy and not actually making an effort to find the right or best person, just the quickest solution.

Not necessarily. I am guessing this is a case where everybody knows everybody else pretty well on a work basis. If this was a bigger company or possibly a very large school they may not know as much about all the other teachers/employees. Probably just favoritism or the head principle having somebody in mind when the position came open.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

What's bugging me?

My mother texted us kids at 5:30 this morning to call right away. I called when I got up around 8:30. My dad was much worse and she was telling all the kids that this might be our last chance to see him. I went to their house as soon as I could. After several hours I was sitting next to his bed (with my mom on the other side) playing with a Rubik's Cube. My wife and sister-in-law tried to get our attention. He was no longer breathing. This was 12:47pm on Satuday Sept 7th. The good news is his wife all of his kids were in the room when it happened. As the oldest, I will need to spend the next week helping my mom. Even though he was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer last summer, my mom never made plans for his passing. She didn't even have a funeral home picked.

I know this was a little heavy for this thread, but I had to get it out. So please excuse any other posts I make that take a bitter tone.

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• 1 month later...

I'm beginning to find it a little annoying how everyone is a dugout wears hoodies during the playoffs, especially coaches. I understand they are chilly but is it that hard to wear a pullover or team jacket instead? It especially bothers me when a coach goes to the mound wearing a hoodie. Or why does Joe Maddon wear one in a dome in Florida?

I wonder if it's an MLB directive so that it appears like the players are also battling the elements and it looks more like football.

I wonder if they are doing it to promote the post season gear. Probably beIng paid to wear it, above what they are paid anyways.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm pretty sure it is an MLB directive that only postseason gear be worn during the postseason. I don't think the players/coaches get a choice in gear. I think the team manager sets it out for them.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I keep getting these mysterious spots on my dress shirts. This is the third dress shirt this has happened with and these are the facts that each has in common:

- It happens during the wash process

- No other clothes in the wash are affected (and no pens or anything like that are found in the wash)

- Always happens on one of the sleeves of the shirts

- This one (the picture below) is black spots, but the other two were blue spots. This is the worst one. The other shirts have one or two blue spots.

- Doesn't happen the first time the shirt is washed (the shirt below has gone through the wash at least 10 times now).

Very frustrating. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this!!

20131024_082012.jpg

Archived