Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2008 (Jan. – June)

And That
  • Replies 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is more humiliating than falling UP the stairs.

My brother did that after my bachelor party. It was bar time, we staggered to my house, he stood on the porch yelling at the top of his lungs for everyone to shut the hell up because his about to be sister in law was trying to sleep. After he woke her up by yelling, he smiled at me, turned, went in the back door, and fell up the stairs not once, but twice. I fell down the stairs. Mary laughed at us both.

I finally got in the house and called my mom to say my brother was staying at my house so he didn't have to drive or take a cab. When I got done explaining the situation, the nice lady on the other end of the line said it would be a smart move and perhaps having Mary call my mom would be a good idea because the person I spoke to was not my mother. At least the lady knew we were safe.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Joe Kubert is 81 years old. He still impresses the hell out of me with his comic art like his latest Tor. You don't even need the text to understand the story, which is more than I can say for a lot of "hot" current artists.

Robert

Really, you DON'T need a carry-on bag that large. The rollerbags are completely unnecessary - I'm going on a week-long trip and didn't check as much luggage as you brought on the plane. Sure, it'll be nice to have your toaster and hair dryers if we crash in the wilderness, but you can probably do without them while you're on the plane. I'd bet your family didn't bring that much with them when they came to this country on a boat from Europe.

Really, you DON'T need a carry-on bag that large. The rollerbags are completely unnecessary.

I sort of have a spin-off from that. I worked at Mitchell International last summer loading luggage for Skyway. The overhead bins were pretty small so when travelers were walking to the planes you kind of had to gague if their bags would fit or not. Several times I'd see a bag would be too big and would tell the person that I could put it in the cargo bin for them. Somewhat often the following conversation would occur:

"Would you like me to put that in the cargo bin for you? It won't fit in the overhead."

"Oh, but I need something from in here."

"Well you can take it out and I'll put the bag in the back."

"But I'd rather just take the whole bag with me."

" It won't fit though."

"..."

"Okay well you can go try but you might have to take it off."

*Five minutes later flight attendent walks off the plane to hand me a bag to add to the back*

If the Brewers' deal with Kohl's lasts until the day they clinch a postseason berth, whether it's Bob or Jim who triumphantly announces the final score, I hope they purposely skip the "baseball presented by Kohl's." I'd chip in to pay their fine or whatever.

(I know how impossible the above scenario seems right now. In theory, I think it would detract from the moment for either of them to have to say "Your final score today, in this championship game - baseball presented by...") The statement is invasive enough right now, even when they announce a crappy ordinary game score.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I've decided to blow all my high brow credibility. The last 2/3rds of Speed Racer are the most fun I've had at the movies all year.

Really.

And it's visually amazing on the big screen. Home video won't duplicate that experience.

Robert

MS, what are replying to?

I've been flying a lot lately, and I hate when it takes 45 minutes to board and get off the plane because everyone has a dang rollerbag that can store a 20" television. Half the people aren't strong enough to even lift it into the bin, and they can barely walk down the aisle because it's about 3 feet wide. Nobody needs that much stuff with them on a plane. I bring a book and put my allergy meds in my pocket.

I agree MS, as I said, I take everything in a gym bag. Thought I had missed an earlier post.

One could make an argument for "it's a sign of the excess" all over, someone feeling they need to take a behemoth bag to go for a 2 day trip. It's the same mentality that leads to someone having 5000 CD's or 41 pairs of athletic shoes, or 24 hunting rifles. In their next breath, they will blame "the man" or "those evil rich" for keeping them down.

Let's not forget, 80% of the US "poor" have cable and air conditioning. To think that is unrelated to the suitcase issue is silly. If others have that, many need more...like 10 changes of clothes and 6 pairs of shoes for that weekend trip to Houston.

I know some people bring a decent-sized bag onto the plane filled with stuff just in case the airline loses their primary bag. I know MANY people who were stranded with nothing but the clothes on their back for days at a time on vacation until their lost luggage arrives. Yes, they're probably too cheap to buy some new clothes. And, no, I'm not speaking from experience. I carry on my Baseball Weekly, mp3 player, and a jacket. Sometimes the laptop, if it is needed on the trip.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived