Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2009 (Jan. – April)

GAME05

Forgive me seriesfinale, for I have sinned.

Hawing, that's odd. For years, I have not been able to develop an interest in the Badger State Games... Clearly, you are from the 'Evil Universe.'

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I worked at the Milwaukee County Zoo one summer and had never lived in Wisconsin prior to that summer. My first day someone asked where the Tyme machine was, and I definitely thought they meant Time machine, and thought that person was crazy. Luckily I was quickly informed that all they wanted was the ATM machine.

TYME is to Wisconsin as MAC is to Philadelphia/NJ.

And I have never flicked anyone off. . .

Flipped? Yes. . .Flicked? No.

Though I have never flipped anyone off at the Badger State Games. . .

Flicked off is also kind of a pet peeve of mine, although I don't hear too many people say it. Another one that bugs me is when someone will say it was a swoosh instead of a swish when talking about basketball, although I don't hear that one too often either.

It distresses me to find that a Google search for "for all intensive purposes" has 1.34 million results, while "for all intents and purposes" (the correct phrase) has just over 2 million results.

I do like it when Matt Lepay says "Splash" after a successful basketball shot.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

On his radio show, Dan Patrick often says things like "coming up in about 10 minutes from now. . ."

I am bothered by the "from now" part of that statement.

Of course it's "from now". That part is redundant.

He could say "coming up in 10 minutes. . ." or "coming up 10 minutes from now. . ."

Then I wouldn't be posting this note.

As long as we're on the pet peeves of English, I'll throw out, "for all intensive purposes" when they mean "for all intents and purposes." That one always cracks me up. What's an intensive purpose?
Ok, I'll admit, I did not know this. I always thought it was "for all intensive puposes".

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I have a co worker who says "And Stuff" at the end of every sentence. I always wondered how he developed that habit.

When ever I answer a question for someone, I always catch myself saying "No Problem". I try to get myself to say something else but I always end up blurting that out. I have to come up with a replacement phrase I think.

Depends on what you are doing with the paper. It's scratch paper if you intend to scribble (scratch is another term for quickly writing something down) a memo on it. It's scrap paper if it's a bit of random paper used for any number of things.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Depends on what you are doing with the paper. It's scratch paper if you intend to scribble (scratch is another term for quickly writing something down) a memo on it. It's scrap paper if it's a bit of random paper used for any number of things.

I only ask because I work at a library and get "Can I have some scrap paper" only to have the patron use it to quickly write something down.

Archived