Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2010

stalton
  • Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Logan, I want to know what happened to all the human footprints that should be surrounding "Yankees Suck." All I see are little animal footprints.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It makes me happy to see Brewers ads in the Madison market, if for no other reason than by mid-February I'm very antsy for baseball.

However, since the ads are all for 9-packs, I wonder if this means ticket sales are lagging, and if so by how much.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I can think of no "big name" director less compatible with Isaac Asimov's Foundation trilogy than Roland Emmerich. Naturally, Emmerich is attached.

Aren't there enough big, famous, science fiction novels with action that Emmerich would be a decent fit for?

Robert

DatHoser's post reminds me of one of the best photo opportunities that I've ever missed out on. Madison used to have a Successories store in West Towne Mall, which later moved to Market Square on Odana Road. I continue to rue the day that I drove down Odana Road and saw the "Successories Store Closing Sale" sandwich board sign on the side of the road...and didn't have a camera.

In case you wondered about my other great missed photo op: some Madisonians or UW-Madison alumni might recall that there was a Chocolate Shoppe in a corner of the old University Square mall. When the Badgers went to the 1994 Rose Bowl, the hand lettered sign in the University Square Chocolate Shoppe window read:

CLOSED

(dates spanning the holidays)

ROSE BOWEL BOUND

Hawing, that reminds me of the MATC(?) sign pointing west for eastbound I-94 traffic in Waukesha/Brookfield to see. The latest one reads: "I can breathe life into you. . . and proud of it" with "and proud of it" as their tag line for other displays. Gee, "I learned proper grammar at MATC. . . and proud of it."

DatHoser's post reminds me of one of the best photo opportunities that I've ever missed out on. Madison used to have a Successories store in West Towne Mall, which later moved to Market Square on Odana Road. I continue to rue the day that I drove down Odana Road and saw the "Successories Store Closing Sale" sandwich board sign on the side of the road...and didn't have a camera.
Ok...sorry, I'm a bit slow...I don't get it. Is it because a store with Success in the name is closing?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Ok...sorry, I'm a bit slow...I don't get it. Is it because a store with Success in the name is closing?
Yeah, pretty much. Successories used to have stores in malls where you could buy motivational posters and other merchandise - as in DatHoser's post above, only real instead of snarky. So the notion of Successories failing as a store seemed ironic at best to me.

The link above lists only four bricks-and-mortar stores for Successories anymore, so I guess they've channeled their success into e-commerce.

Also: DatHoser, I know the billboard location you mean. I think it's for Waukesha County Technical College. To be fair, "and proud of it" matches up better with some of the other examples in that advertising series.

My bad on who did the billboard. And Hawing is right, there have been some that have matched up with the "and proud of it" campaign. Couldn't they just say "I'm able to breath life into you. ." or something like that instead on this one?

Is there a genre of film that fails as often to live up to it's description as "romantic comedy"? Many films fail at both.

I thought about "science fiction", particularly the "science" part, but decided against it.

Robert

The Nationals are giving away a Nyjer Morgan bobblehead on July 31 this year.

According to the Pirates' promotional schedule, Pittsburgh is pinning a lot of hopes on Andrew McCutchen (photo wrap, kids' replica jersey, and the only Pirate bobblehead of the season).

The Reds' promotions include not one, but two "Bark in the Park" nights, the first of which features a giveaway of 5,000 Reds-branded pet waste bag dispensers:

http://mlb.mlb.com/cin/images/schedule/y2010/waste_dispenser_180x150.jpg

The Reds are also having a Joey Votto Action Figure giveaway.

The Astros have some type of promotion or giveaway on 66 of their 81 home dates.

And I'm a little surprised that the Classies stoop to promotions and giveaways at all. Yet they offer a "Sluggie":

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/images/promotions/sluggie180x150.jpg

I think the 66 is a bit misleading, as at least half of those are ticket discounts, not giveaways. I like the catcher's backpack though.
Indeed, that is the case. I was just struck by the sheer volume of entries on the Astros' list of promotions.

The Pirates are giving away a catcher's backpack too. Does one wear them on the front?

Archived