Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2011

NeedMoreFans
I got the "Mama's Boy" trophy in MLB 11 The Show today with my RTTS CFer. The trophy is awarded for hitting a home run with a pink bat on in-game Mother's Day. I should get an extra trophy for also doing it on real life Mother's Day.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Windows 8 is currently sporting a Black Screen of Death instead of a Blue one. There's no word on whether this change is permanent.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I gave my mother two tickets for tonights Brewer game. Does that make me a bad son?

Not as bad as ditching your Mom on Mother's Day and taking your girlfriend to the game. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Thoughts on my visit to Turner Field (I saw Wednesday and Thursday's games, so I'm trying to set aside how awful they were for the Brewers and give an objective evaluation of the experience):

- It's a very nice park, doesn't seem to show much age at all after ~14 years. Very intuitive in its layout - it's not hard to find anything.

- Concession offerings are generally good, and are best in the "villiage" area straight out from CF.

- We spent one game in the back of the Field Level equivalent, which was nice and had excellent sightlines. Not many people at the park, but it was the second half of the doubleheader.

- The second game we had club level tickets - their club level is very similar to at Miller Park: ticket checkers at the door, lots of the same food offerings found all around the park plus a few extras. A combination of typical concession-like booths and little kiosks. It was all very familiar.

- The club level is the only enclosed concourse, which was part of the reason we grabbed tickets for it the second game. The game temp was about 60 degrees and dropping a bit on Wednesday and with a healthy breeze and the sun going down it was actually pretty darn chilly at the field level. We were underdressed and wished we had an enclosed space we could escape to for a bit between innings. A few of the concession stands had little coffee drink/hot chocolate makers and they were doing a good business that night.

- The stadium itself is just on the southern edge of downtown - if you come in off of the highway, it feels like it's connected to the city but if you come in anywhere else you really feel that it's in a run-down, poor neighborhood. It's an interesting contrast.

- Fans drove in and drove out - there was little nightlife around the stadium at all. We searched online to see if there were any bars/restaurants that ran shuttles (one of our favorite ways to attend a game at MP) and there were exactly zero that we could find, outside of a public shuttle to take you to a MARTA station (their public transport).

- Fans were very friendly and the staff was excellent and welcoming. There seemed to be a lot of staff for each game, though they were both lightly attended so I'm not sure if that impacted my perception. Lots of vendors, often not actually carrying much - just a few things in hand that they'd sell and go back to wherever they loaded up to get more. They'd stop and talk to the ushers for a while, just hang around, maybe sell a little maybe not.

- Their famous jumbotron is huge and well-placed. It's very useful. I had no issues finding auxillary scoreboards for pitchcounts.

- The whole atmosphere was very low-key. Not a ton of energy.

Overall, a very good experience. We're moving to Atlanta soon so we wanted to get a feel for the stadium and came away very happy.

i hate you, Nap. i'm a bit tired and you charm me with your comfortable bed and your lies of letting me wake up after only a short while, feeling better and ready for the afternoon. and not wanting to fill my bed with sand and salt, i even take a shower, which made me more comfortable. instead i sleep for nine hours and wake up at 1 am. now i'm wide awake and well aware i probably won't get any more sleep, completely ruining my sleep schedule for the next few days.

I left for work to find someone wrapped scotch tape on my car. Really? I've had it parked in the underground parking at my apartments and no other car was attacked, so I give it less than a 5% chance it was some kid's random attack. I think one of my new neighbors doesn't like me or something I did. How about you come talk to me like an adult?

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

There is currently a sidebar headline on si.com of "Price set for Kolb-to-Cards Deal".

My immediate and momentary confusion made me feel like a decent Brewer fan.

(It's Kevin Kolb of the Eagles)

There is currently a sidebar headline on si.com of "Price set for Kolb-to-Cards Deal".

My immediate and momentary confusion made me feel like a decent Brewer fan.

My first thought: Dan Kolb is still playing?

I remember 2004 Dan Kolb. 57 innings, 2.98 ERA, 3.30 K/9!

My mother, my S.O. and her mother all have birthdays in the span of a week. Throw in Mother's Day and I'm already celebrationed out and I'm not even to Bday #2
That's why the S.O. and I don't observe Valentine's Day. It's about midway between our birthdays and neither of us sees the point in coming up with another celebration. Fortunately we have the same take on the issue.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

i don't want to start a whole new thread for a simple question so i'll ask it here. i'm kinda considering buying a projection tv to watch movies on or maybe just use the computer. i like the idea of a bigger screen more than the high definition that a regular tv would get me. plus projection tvs are a lot cheaper. but a small plastic piece on my laptop broke off of my audio output jack, so then would i be able to use the tv but only have my laptop speaker available for sound?

Game05 - at worst you should be able to get a set of USB speakers. Either that, or perform a laptopectomy on the speaker connection. Maybe someone else has more experience on what else would work.

i don't want to start a whole new thread for a simple question so i'll ask it here. i'm kinda considering buying a projection tv to watch movies on or maybe just use the computer. i like the idea of a bigger screen more than the high definition that a regular tv would get me. plus projection tvs are a lot cheaper. but a small plastic piece on my laptop broke off of my audio output jack, so then would i be able to use the tv but only have my laptop speaker available for sound?
I assume by "projection TV" you mean a rear projection set? These days, I guess I don't get why anyone would bother with a projection TV. You can get a good and very affordable high definition LCD TV that is much less bulky for not much more than a projection TV will cost you. You also wouldn't have to hassle with the various alignment and calibration issues of a projection TV set.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• 2 weeks later...
i missed having a fish tank and just bought one even though i shouldn't be spending the money. the 50 gal. one was the same price as the 20 gal. one, so i got that. man it's massive. it's also amazing what a very pretty girl can get a man to spend and she wasn't even trying to upsell me anything.

A roommate of mine from freshman year of college was just on Fox News as a "strategist" even though he really hasn't done anything. Nothing political here, just realizing how easy it can be to go on the talking head shows now.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived