Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2011

NeedMoreFans

I'm not anti-nerd. I just don't understand the need or desire to score the game. I like to have my hands free--to clap, to eat, to pass beers down the row. . .

Plus, you have to be absorbed fully into every game. What do you do when you get up from your seat? Do you have others do your scoring for you? How detailed do you get with your recordkeeping?

What do you do with your completed scorebooks? Do you read through them afterward?

Do tell. . .

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Funny you mentioned the need to be free to clap, drink etc. I was just talking to a friend about how neither of us ever watches the game as closely at the stadium as we do at home. Probably should keep score when I go just to get my money's worth.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

for a lot of years when my grandmother was alive she used to listen to every single Brewers game on the radio, and i wish i taught her how to score a game, because i think it would have brought the game to more life plus kept her mind working a bit more. alas, when the Brewers didn't resign Molitor, she protested and never listened to a single game again.

Funny you mentioned the need to be free to clap, drink etc. I was just talking to a friend about how neither of us ever watches the game as closely at the stadium as we do at home. Probably should keep score when I go just to get my money's worth.
That is why I started scoring the games when I went. I forces you to actually pay attention. I find it very difficult to score when I drink to much. Of course I rarely drink more than one or two at games anymore.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'm not anti-nerd. I just don't understand the need or desire to score the game. I like to have my hands free--to clap, to eat, to pass beers down the row. . .

Plus, you have to be absorbed fully into every game. What do you do when you get up from your seat? Do you have others do your scoring for you? How detailed do you get with your recordkeeping?

What do you do with your completed scorebooks? Do you read through them afterward?

Do tell. . .

I still drink, clap and munch when I keep score. I also get up to go to the bathroom and such, but it helps I always go to games with a boyfriend who enjoys keeping score for an inning or two. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I'm already invested in the game, but if you miss an at-bat it's not hard to figure out what happened and score accordingly. I know I'm not that strict.

As far as what to do with scorebooks, I've never had one before but I bet it would be fun to look through at the end of the year. Especially since I see myself making little notes on the side. (e.g. Get a haircut Gomez!)

And I knew I could count of my fellow bf.net-ers to appreciate my scorebook purchase!

Do tell. . .

I still drink, clap and munch when I keep score. I also get up to go to the bathroom and such, but it helps I always go to games with a boyfriend who enjoys keeping score for an inning or two. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif I'm already invested in the game, but if you miss an at-bat it's not hard to figure out what happened and score accordingly. I know I'm not that strict.

As far as what to do with scorebooks, I've never had one before but I bet it would be fun to look through at the end of the year. Especially since I see myself making little notes on the side. (e.g. Get a haircut Gomez!)

And I knew I could count of my fellow bf.net-ers to appreciate my scorebook purchase!
Like Principessa, I attend games with my S.O., and when we decide to score a game we take turns with the scorebook so no one has to miss out on food, drink, bathroom or cheering. Along with the traditional scorebook markings, we record a variety of minutiae, some of which is probably of general interest and some of which is surely important only to us: sausage race winner, time of the national anthem (that's the S.O.'s detail, not mine), game time temperature, triple play trivia answers, and whatever strikes our fancy.

We scored 3 or 4 games last year (out of about 30 we attended) and by coincidence two of them turned out to be my favorite games of the year. Corey had a walkoff home run the day before the all-star break, and the August 6 comeback win against the Astros (featuring the improbable Inglett Crush). Looking over those sheets now reminds me of how much fun those games were. We'll probably score at about the same pace in 2011 - not Monday (too much going on then), but a game here and there.

We found a scorebook from the 1990s once, with more or less random games in it, and that was kind of a trip down memory lane - in that "isn't it nice we don't have to rely on Moutons anymore?" way. So yeah, we've looked through past scored games before. It's fairly nerdy, but in no way is it the nerdiest baseball thing I do.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'd consider posting on Brewerfan while attending a game to be much nerdier than keeping score. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'd consider posting on Brewerfan while attending a game to be much nerdier than keeping score. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
See, I'd only do that if the stadium wi-fi were free. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif It still wouldn't be the nerdiest Brewers thing I do.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It still wouldn't be the nerdiest Brewers thing I do.

Now you've got us hooked. . .

So--you have a cat named Kottaras?

Working on a Kevin Seitzer-themed beadwork pillow?

You hand painted a couple of Precious Moments figures and have them look like Jerry Royster and Mike DeJean?

Fess up, nerd!

i start my new job on Wednesday, and am going to start looking for apartments on Saturday. look at one or two places and take it, i figured. it's a crapshoot, anyway, since apartment managers all lie when you ask them about noise and bugs. but now it strikes me that it won't be so fast with credit and background checks. there's some chance i'll need to live in a tent for a few days. oh well. i've certainly done it before.

Milwaukee had an NFL team, too (the Badgers). I can't recall offhand, but Racine may have had a team.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

There's an article on the most cinematic of weapons, the flamethrower, at http://moviemorlocks.com/...4/01/burn-it/#more-34304 which put a big smile on my face. Especially this line:

"For my money, though, the ne plus ultra of flameplay belongs to Gordon Douglas’ THEM! (1954), ..."

"ne plus ultra of flameplay" is a turn of phrase I wished I coined.

Robert

Is it just me, or is George Kottaras basically Gabe Gross reincarnated as a catcher? Left hander with a typically low batting average, patient hitter willing to take a walk, some power potential.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

This stupid thread has lasted way longer than I thought was ever possible. On a brighter note, I went to Jimmy John's today. The dude who made my sandwich threw it to the cashier. Cashier was not looking and got my slim 5 slammed into his head. good sandwich none the less.
-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Archived