Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2011

NeedMoreFans
  • Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't get the whole "gorilla" thing. She loves dressing up as a gorilla?? Is it some sort of promotional thing your company does or is this just some random thing she does? Does gorilla have another meaning that I'm not aware of?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

If I recall correctly, Backupcatchers owns a balloon business - the kind of place you'd turn to when planning a party or special event. So having youngish employees who don't mind dressing in a gorilla costume doesn't seem entirely outlandish in that context.

If I don't recall correctly, I'm sure I'll be corrected post haste. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, BUC, I hear you on losing great teenaged employees. All of my employees are college students and high turnover is the norm. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered, over the last 20+ years, how I was going to replace one student or another...but somehow, someone always steps up. (I would call it a bonus that your new employee likes Monty Python enough to be able to quote parts of it, though since my observation has been that people either love or hate Monty Python, obviously not everyone would see it that way.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We do deliveries dressed up as different characters and do mini roasts to suspecting victims for their birthdays and such. The gorilla is sort of our mascot. The hardest thing to do is find people who can be funny and actually want to work. So far she's good on both counts.

Monty Python sucks.

Thems fightin words.

i'd nerdily assumed everyone could do that.

If you ever need a job...

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Anyone else notice that when ESPN is showing highlights of NL players, it almost always shows them playing at Miller Park? For instance, when talking about the Pujols negotiations, it always shows a clip of him hitting a homerun at MP. Is it because MP has good camera angles?

i think there's a perfectly reasonable explanation to why Miller Park is always featured for homerun clips:

ESPN Video Guy #1: "Hey, they're wanting us to find a clip of another random guy hitting a HR."

ESPN Video Guy #2: "Well, let's do like we usually do--just check the last time they faced Jeff Suppan."

So, there's album of the year, record of the year and song of the year.

I am still confused as to why there are 3 awards and not 2.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

So I live and work in Appleton, and today at work we were talking about marketing and someone brought up Backupcatcher's place. Funny since it was just mentioned in this thread. My coworker asked if we knew the place and I said "Yea I know..." I cut myself off because I found myself about to say I know the owner, when I really don't know BUC, just that he posts here. Anyway, I felt silly. But if it means anything, my boss received a birthday visit and loved it.

Anyone else notice that when ESPN is showing highlights of NL players, it almost always shows them playing at Miller Park? For instance, when talking about the Pujols negotiations, it always shows a clip of him hitting a homerun at MP. Is it because MP has good camera angles?

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

So I live and work in Appleton, and today at work we were talking about marketing and someone brought up Backupcatcher's place. Funny since it was just mentioned in this thread. My coworker asked if we knew the place and I said "Yea I know..." I cut myself off because I found myself about to say I know the owner, when I really don't know BUC, just that he posts here. Anyway, I felt silly. But if it means anything, my boss received a birthday visit and loved it.
I saw a guy in a balloon store standing next to a dancing gorilla being interviewed on TV here in GB and thought out loud to myself, "That must be BUC's place!" My wife didn't know what I was talking about, so I told her that he is this guy who also wastes an inordinate amount of time posting on message boards seeks fellowship among Packer and Brewer fanatics. Hopefully his wife/SO is more understanding than mine.
Gruber Lawffices

I saw a guy in a balloon store standing next to a dancing gorilla being interviewed on TV here in GB and thought out loud to myself, "That must be BUC's place!"

I wasn't going to bring it up here since I'm sure nobody really cares about tv spots for us but since it was brought up I should at least thank channel five for such a sweet promo. We a got a full 3 spot remote over the hour long show right before Valentines day. Thank you thank you channel 5. Turns out it's sweeps right now so hopefully we were visual enough to help their ratings out.

Principessa21 if anyone wants a lesson in marketing they really should talk to my wife. As much as I'd like to take credit she's a true marketing guru. She started this business as a 18 year old out of a UWO dorm room. I came along as she was leaving the dorm room and moving into an actual store. We got together and, I am proud to say, I slept my way to the top. BTW what else is there to know about a person other than if they are a Brewer fan or not?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

The worst part about your computer crashing and buying a new one is trying to reacquire all your bookmarks.
Xmarks | Bookmark Sync and Search

Firefox 4 and Google Chrome have built-in bookmarks syncs, but this one-ups them because it syncs across multiple browsers: Firefox, Chrome (and other Chromium-based browsers), IE, Safari (Mac & iOS), and Android.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I'm sure someone on Brewerfan can help me understand this. Today I was prescribed an antibiotic for some ongoing cold symptoms that I have. My understating is that antibiotics are only effective for fighting bacterial infections and not for viral infections. I have also read that the risk of misdiagnosing a cold as bacterial (when it's actually viral) and prescribing antibiotics is that a "mutant" bacteria could develop that is resistant to antibiotics. I don't understand this. To me it's like saying if you put on a bullet proof vest when someone is only shooting Nerf darts at you, then there is a threat that someone may develop bullets that can go through a bullet proof vest. I don't get the connection between the two events??

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

The antibiotic will knock out any infection it can. It may help your body have more immunity to fight the other crap. On a single case basis, it's no problem and fine, but the risk is, superbugs will develop if they prescribe them to everyone.

If you are of normal health, you'll recover in a week or two regardless. However, if you're like many of us, it's tough to rest, eat soup, and wait to feel better for 7-10 days.

The antibiotic will knock out any infection it can. It may help your body have more immunity to fight the other crap. On a single case basis, it's no problem and fine, but the risk is, superbugs will develop if they prescribe them to everyone.

If you are of normal health, you'll recover in a week or two regardless. However, if you're like many of us, it's tough to rest, eat soup, and wait to feel better for 7-10 days.

Yeah normally I would not go to a Dr. for a cold, but I'm going on a family vacation to Orlando next week and I really don't want to be sick for that.

I'm sure someone on Brewerfan can help me understand this. Today I was prescribed an antibiotic for some ongoing cold symptoms that I have. My understating is that antibiotics are only effective for fighting bacterial infections and not for viral infections. I have also read that the risk of misdiagnosing a cold as bacterial (when it's actually viral) and prescribing antibiotics is that a "mutant" bacteria could develop that is resistant to antibiotics. I don't understand this. To me it's like saying if you put on a bullet proof vest when someone is only shooting Nerf darts at you, then there is a threat that someone may develop bullets that can go through a bullet proof vest. I don't get the connection between the two events??
There are a few ways that bacteria escape the threat of antibiotics. The most common is that the doctor has prescribed a medication based on an empirical diagnosis and his assumption about what he is treating is wrong. In this case the antibiotic may be killing an entirely different spectrum of bacteria then the one causing the illness. Your body houses a huge amount of "good" flora that protects against various biological threats to the body. If these bugs are eliminated with the antibiotic, then the bacteria which you were trying to kill in the first place will explode in population and make you even sicker. Even if the doctor knows the bacteria which he is treating, bacteria do have the ability to "evolve" or become resistant through various mutations. Think natural selection in a very small and rapidly breeding population. If the antibiotic is the bullet proof vest and the bacteria are nerf darts, then yes, one of thousands of bacteria assumes the ability to shoot bullets, reproduces and overcomes the antibiotic. All classes of antibiotics have varying bacteriostatic/bacteriocidal properties and just about all of them have been overcome to some extent through bacterial evolution. It's the reason why it's best not to get a prescription for antibiotics unless you are susceptible or tests have conclusively shown what you are infected with.

I'm not a doctor and quite frankly I don't know the exact process that doctors take in diagnosing a patient, but I get the sense that a lot of them just throw a Z-pak at anyone who comes in with the sniffles. It seems to me to be a much better idea to treat the symptoms with some OTC medications and let the patient take time to recover naturally. At least with normally healthy adults.

Archived