Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2013

JimH5

I think a majority could get Great Britain. I do think a majority couldn't tell you the difference between Great Britain, England, and the United Kingdom.

I would also throw in all African, South American, and Asian countries to "what American's can't find on a map".

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think (hope) that Americans would be able to locate major countries around the perimeter of Europe. It certainly shouldn't be an issue locating Great Britain (which is physically a bit more identifiable than the UK), France, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece, Turkey (which is mostly in Asia), and Russia. Norway, Sweden, and Finland should be pretty easy. Estonia, Latvia, and Lithuania should be locatable, although I can see people easily mixing them up. And Denmark sticks out like a sore thumb.

Central and eastern Europe would be tougher, in part because the borders have changed so much over the years. Ukraine stands out because it's so big, though.

In Asia, I'd hope that people could locate Russia, Japan, China, India, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. In Africa, I would think that people could spot Egypt and Morocco. And in South America, I'd think that Brazil, Argentina, and Chile would stand out.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I guess what I should have said is that learning something and retaining it are separate things. I doubt most people look at maps enough to remember where most countries are.

UK, France, Italy, Germany, and probably Portugal most people know. I think Greece and Turkey are a little more iffy. India, China and Russia I think most people could point out. Probably Japan. People may mix it up with the Philippines.

I doubt most people could correctly point many if any countries between Germany and Russia. Possibly Poland.

Middle East I think most could locate Egypt. Probably Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Iran.

I could see people mixing up the Scandinavian countries pretty easily.

A lot of it depends which countries are on the news and how often people watch the news.

I do think a majority couldn't tell you the difference between Great Britain, England, and the United Kingdom.

I didn't know the difference. I had to look it up. I think the three are used interchangeably but they shouldn't be.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The number of people who enable the hotspot feature on their phones without password-protecting the network amazes me. Anyone within reasonable proximity can join the network and "borrow" cellular bandwidth that likely has a monthly usage cap.

If you want to let someone use your bandwidth, all you have to do is tell him the password as he's likely within a few feet of you.

The other thing to think about is the fact that this feature affects battery life. It's not something that's likely to be used constantly, and it's awfully easy to enable when needed. It's best to leave the hotspot feature disabled when it isn't going to be used.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I recently discovered "Doomsday Preppers" on NatGeo. These people are insane, and I hope the ATF pays each of them a visit. That being said, I'm loving the show.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I had an idea for a restaurant, in which all food was served in the form of nachos. Obviously, not using nacho chips for everything. But presentation and concept. Everyone loves nachos. Nobody likes my idea.

How many commercials is Michael Bolton in nowadays?

The only answer is "too many," isn't it?

One would be too many; this is an epidemic.

He has a Skittles ad, 2-3 different Honda ads, and I think there's at least one more out in circulation.

Archived