Brewer Fanatic

Random thoughts that are pointless and too dumb to say anywhere else thread: 2013

JimH5
  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've watched 2 or 3 (I think I watched part of a 3rd) episodes of Duck Dynasty and I don't get why it has become so popular. In one of the episodes I saw, one of the guys bought a winery. It seemed very rehearsed and scripted.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

It seemed very rehearsed and scripted.

That's what "reality" TV is. I don't get it either. A lot of the boys at the high school I work at love it. I guess it's better than them watching Jersey Shore or any of that other reality trash.

I don't get all the "hick reality" shows that have been popping up. I don't see the appeal. That said, I really enjoy Bar Rescue, but a lot of the people on that show also admit that they've been coached and things are scripted out to happen. I think watching these shows is fine, as long as you know that it's not 100% "reality". I assume most folks know that, these days.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I completely realize that most of these shows are not filmed without any direction or script. However, scripted or not, there are some that have believable situations.

There are also reality shows like "Cops" or the hoarding shows where it's hard to imagine too much "acting" is going on (especially on cops). Maybe there is more acting than I'm aware of on the hoarding shows but whenever I have seen one of those shows, the emotion and the situation seemed pretty believable

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

For gosh sakes there is a reality show called Moonshiners. Have you seen the commercials for that; its redneckville times a billion. I can't believe people actually watch this stuff. American Idol, Bachelor, Amazing Race, etc are one thing but some of these shows are just ridiculous.

I completely realize that most of these shows are not filmed without any direction or script. However, scripted or not, there are some that have believable situations.

There are also reality shows like "Cops" or the hoarding shows where it's hard to imagine too much "acting" is going on (especially on cops). Maybe there is more acting than I'm aware of on the hoarding shows but whenever I have seen one of those shows, the emotion and the situation seemed pretty believable

I'm pretty sure the Hoarders shows are 100% real. Maybe there's a bit of "coaching", but I wouldn't imagine very much is needed in those situations. I think hoarding in general is a much bigger problem than many realize. My wife has a couple relatives that are probably hoarders, or very borderline at least.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Ya there aren't too many "reality shows" that aren't scripted anymore. That or they come up with stupid things that will "happen" during the show and take it from there. You can usually tell how much a show is scripted by the way they do the interviews. Some people are so bad at "acting" in those and it's a dead give away. I would say there aren't too many shows that just show real life. Cops, Deadliest Catch (they are guilty at times of doing stuff they probably wouldn't do if cameras weren't around), Hoarders..... ya not too many.

I think it's also one thing to enjoy some of these scripted shows but it's another to believe they are real. If you enjoy it and you know it's made up, I'm cool with that.

Ya there aren't too many "reality shows" that aren't scripted anymore. That or they come up with stupid things that will "happen" during the show and take it from there. You can usually tell how much a show is scripted by the way they do the interviews. Some people are so bad at "acting" in those and it's a dead give away. I would say there aren't too many shows that just show real life. Cops, Deadliest Catch (they are guilty at times of doing stuff they probably wouldn't do if cameras weren't around), Hoarders..... ya not too many.

I think it's also one thing to enjoy some of these scripted shows but it's another to believe they are real. If you enjoy it and you know it's made up, I'm cool with that.

I love deadliest catch. It used to be 100% reality (I feel) but I think after Phil's death they've tried to insert story lines to make it interesting. Just watching these guys do their job was interesting enough though.

HD TV for sports = Awesome!

HD TV for shows = yuck

I got a 55 inch tv about a month ago. It's great for watching sports but I think that most everything else looks horrible. Not the quality but such clarity makes everything look like it was filmed by some high school kids in their parents basement. My mom has said the same thing after watch her TV for a while.

you need to turn the tru-motion (or whatever your brand of tv calls it) off. Basically, you're watching your shows in 120hz (or maybe 240hz) when they should be in 60 hz. Thus, the shows you watch have the "soap opera" effect.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

you need to turn the tru-motion (or whatever your brand of tv calls it) off. Basically, you're watching your shows in 120hz (or maybe 240hz) when they should be in 60 hz. Thus, the shows you watch have the "soap opera" effect.

Thanks. I'll have to look into that. I can't remember what the brand is off hand or I would google it.

I have actually gotten used to this effect and many times prefer it. It does make bad acting stand out like a sore thumb

Anyone have experience with the no contract cell phone carriers like Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc. Thinking about switching my wife's plan from a contract plan at US Cellular and only paying $50-60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data seems like a really good deal even if you have to pay more up front for your phone. You still come out way ahead over a 2 year period even if you spend $200-$250 on the phone. I don't think you can get a unlimited data plan with a contract for anything less than $100/month nowadays.

yeah, sometimes I don't mind the "soap opera" effect but my wife despises it. It's something you definitely have to get use to.

I agree, I like it for certain things. My wife is the exact same as yours, hates it! It is not good for action movies and sports because of all the trail effects going on. It always reminds me of PBS or British public television shows!

Anyone have experience with the no contract cell phone carriers like Boost Mobile, Virgin Mobile, etc. Thinking about switching my wife's plan from a contract plan at US Cellular and only paying $50-60 a month for unlimited talk, text, and data seems like a really good deal even if you have to pay more up front for your phone. You still come out way ahead over a 2 year period even if you spend $200-$250 on the phone. I don't think you can get a unlimited data plan with a contract for anything less than $100/month nowadays.

We all use Virgin in my house, the three of us pay less than $100/month combined.

I've had it for years and am grandfathered in at $25/month with unlimited text and data. I did pay up front for my Android phone, but I have no complaints. I'm not a phone snob who needs all the bells and whistles, I mainly use it to text and watch DirecTV Sunday Ticket app at work.

Virgin runs on the Sprint network if that means anything to you. I'm in Milwaukee area and have no reception issues phone-wise, but there is really no 4G to speak of, just 3G, but again, it works for me and the price is right. Depending on how much/little you talk, you can save more. I think it's unlimited everything for $55 and if you go to a 1200 minute plan, it's $45 and $35 for a 300 minute plan, but all with unlimited text and data.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

That was great and happy thanksgiving to you to trwi7!

A) My guess is that a large portion of Americans could not point out Great Britain on a map, or correctly label a majority of European countries.

B) I would also like to see this same thing with Americans labeling the states. My guess is that you would have similar results. I know my wife is clueless on where many of the states are located.

Archived