Brewer Fanatic

Brewers trade John Axford to Cardinals for PTBNL

JJHardy7
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

The last time the Brewers and Cardinals made a trade was just over ten years ago, 8/22/03, when the Cardinals got 18 innings of 32-year-old reliever Mike DeJean for two PTBNL, RHP's Mike Crudale and John Novinsky.

The Cardinals finished 3rd in the NL Central that season. DeJean continued to post inconsistent numbers for the Orioles, Mets, and Rockies through 2006.

Crudale appeared in nine games in 2003 for the Brewers (2.89 ERA), and his "Crew-dale" name was pretty cool. He was released by the Brewers in spring training 2004, did not see the big leagues again, and finished his professional career in Italy in 2009. Here are his minor league numbers.

Novinsky would toil in AA Huntsville as a 25-year-old in 2004 with decent results, but was released in spring training 2005, and never pitched professionally again.

(All links point to their baseball reference pages.)

Ax was probably my favorite Brewer on a personal level. I tend to like smart, quirky pitchers who seem to enjoy Milwaukee -- Ax, Greinke, Capuano.

Dealing him makes plenty of sense. I wouldn't worry much that he'll come back to haunt us, because at his salary the Cards may well nontender him. He could end up anywhere.

People often talk about an "in-division premium" in trades. I have no idea whether that idea is based on anything real, but I'll be interested to see whether we get someone useful from St. Louis.

We are probably going to get the equivalent of that terrible minor league catcher we got from KC in some random trade I don't remember from a couple year ago. I think the guy had a funny name.

We weren't goint to pay him $7 Million next year so you might as well dump him. I just hope he continues to have the same issues as always. Unless he pitches out of his mind for STL he probably still gets non tendered by them this offseason.

We are probably going to get the equivalent of that terrible minor league catcher we got from KC in some random trade I don't remember from a couple year(s) ago. I think the guy had a funny name.

maxim st. pierre.

acquired 27 march 2007 for the infamous ben hendrickson.

That was it, Maxim St. Pierre. I drew a blank that it was for Hendrickson though.

I remember looking at his stats when that traded happened wondering how he was still in baseball and what was going through DM's mind when he decided he "wanted" St. Pierre. KC probably gave him an ultimatum; take St Pierre or you can just keep Hendrickson. I am sure that trade had some tense negotiations.

That was it, Maxim St. Pierre. I drew a blank that it was for Hendrickson though.

I remember looking at his stats when that traded happened wondering how he was still in baseball and what was going through DM's mind when he decided he "wanted" St. Pierre. KC probably gave him an ultimatum; take St Pierre or you can just keep Hendrickson. I am sure that trade had some tense negotiations.

If I remember correctly they acquired him because they wanted to make him a pitcher.

I heard that the PTBNL is Daniel Ray Herrera.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll225/mia-plur/DoNotWant.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I heard that the PTBNL is Daniel Ray Herrera.

http://i.imgur.com/wMM43dR.gif

The Miz girl! Fantastic. I remember browsing the NY Mets forums after the K-Rod trade first went down. Some clown actually posted that he heard the PTBNL were Thornburg AND Gamel. I imagine he was a little disappointed when the Brewers sent Daniel Herrera over.

He's going to St. Louis. Watch their pitching coaches turn him back into a dominant arm again, and it will end up screwing us somehow. I know it.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

He's going to St. Louis. Watch their pitching coaches turn him back into a dominant arm again, and it will end up screwing us somehow. I know it.

Best organization from top to bottom in baseball. As a Brewers fan I'm not afraid to say it. No shame.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Best organization from top to bottom in baseball. As a Brewers fan I'm not afraid to say it. No shame.

Top 3 for sure, but no baseball organization is better than the Yankees organization. The success of the Yankees dwarfs every other team.

Top 3 for sure, but no baseball organization is better than the Yankees organization. The success of the Yankees dwarfs every other team.

Richest and best are not the same thing. The Yankees are the richest.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived