Brewers trade John Axford to Cardinals for PTBNL

JJHardy7

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
awesome, hope this hurts them and helps us

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I hate that in theory, we just helped the Cardinals. He's been bad lately, but he'll drink the magic juice there and become awesome.

We likely weren't bringing him back next year anyways, so it's nice to get something for him I guess. Any guesses on the PTBNL?

I want to say he's finally in a place where he can't hurt Brewers fans anymore, but he's probably going to turn into an All-

Star closer for the Cardinals now.

Regardless, he wasn't going to be on the 2014 roster with his price tag, so at least we got something for him.

with this move, the roster stands at 38. while the player to be named could be a player with a major league contract, it likely will be a player with a minor league contract--keeping that major league roster spot open.

He wasn't going to be offered arby next year anyways, so I don't think anyone was counting him in the 40 man projection anyways.

Who wouldn't rather have Jim Henderson in the closer's role at this point anyway?

I appreciate Axford for his time when he was good with the Crew, but it was pretty obvious for a while it was probably time for him to move on. He was a class act and really seemed to enjoy being in Milwaukee, so I wish him well (just not well if he's pitching against the Brewers next year).

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree with the class act part, and I especially enjoyed his twitter tirads from time to time. will have to unfollow him though, I dont want to hear about "the best fans in the world" any more than I have to

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Axford could thrive in a new setting.

It's easy to forget that he was quite effective from mid April through late July, so removed from the wrath of the Brewer fans who only think of him as a failed closer, he could help the Cards.

As others have mentioned, Axford wasn't going to be back with the Brewers next year anyway, so this is a no risk move. The Brewers can give whatever innings Axford would have taken to one of the September callups. I doubt if what the Brewers get in return will be anything of real value. The main thing they are getting is not having to pay Axford's salary for the next month.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

If he resigns with the Cradinals and hurts us for years to come, this sucks...

If he walks away from the Cards after this season and signs elsewhere, I love this!!!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Per Adam McCalvy:

Doug Melvin wouldn't say whether #Brewers are getting a pitcher or hitter for Axford. The PTBNL will be "N" next week. No cash in the deal.

As the Cards are paying Axford, the Brewers will save $800k-$900k over the remainder of the season. That makes me think the PTBNL won't be worth much.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Not surprised Ax was dealt. The destination is a surprise, however.

I'm surprised that Melvin would risk Axford coming back to haunt the Brewers over the next couple of years (that's assuming Axford stays with St. Louis beyond 2013). Although I just don't see the Cardinals paying Axford a ton of money next year - so non-tender is probably his fate (unless he is lights out the rest of the year).

Otherwise, thanks Ax for everything. It was a nice ride.

Two questions arise from this. What do the Cards have in 3rd or 1st prospects? And....can we give Yuni and a bag of balls to anyone? I don't care if anything comes back in return.

[sarcasm]you clearly didnt see that double play in the 9th inning last night[/sarcasm]

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Archived