Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 3

Dear Doug Melvin,

Please move Yovani back into the Brewers rotation, I think this would be better for the team and for him. Yovani looks more comfortable and relax starting every fifth day, rather than pitching out of the bullpen with shorter rest period.

Thanks and regards.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, give it more than just one bad outing. Remember Villanuevas first outing out of the pen? He gave up 3 earned runs without even recording an out. Now, how has that turned out?

If he continues to struggle in his role, then yeah, bring him out of the pen. But Gallardo is a solid, composed youngster who I believe can give us some quality innings out of the pen. Hopefully it's not for long -- I want to see Gallardo in the rotation as much as anybody. However, we need to look at the long-term, too. If we make the postseason this year, Gallardo will likely be a big part of that, and we need him at his best -- not burnt out after his arm has been overstretched in his first year.

Quote:
we need to look at the long-term, too. If we make the postseason this year, Gallardo will likely be a big part of that, and we need him at his best -- not burnt out after his arm has been overstretched in his first year.

Exactly. I don't think anyone wants to see us have our own Prior or Wood.

I think my complaint with todays game is the same as most others had... Defense. Boy was it hard to watch todays game and see botched play after botched play. It was like a little league game--although many of our players are so young that they aren't far removed from little league

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif .

Dear Ben, Chris, Jeff, Dave, Claudio, Carlos, Yovani, Matt, Brian, Chris, Derrick, Francisco, Corey, J.J, Craig, Ryan, Prince, Johnny, Geoff, Gabe, Rickie, Bill, Damien, Kevin, and Tony:

Just because you're playing at PNC Park, does not mean you have to pretend that you are the Pirates.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Fan

Almost forgot.

Dear Offense,

The game contains 9 innings, not 1. Nor can you take your result from the first inning and multiply it by 9. You must play the full 9 innings. You have made a habit of this the last several weeks, please seek measures to resolve this problem.

Run distribution (like win distribution) = meaningless

If they would have scored one a piece in the first three innings the end result would have been the same. Three runs doesn't win very often with your fifth starter on the mound.

Move on and win tomorrow. No big deal.

Brett,

That's a matter of perspective, and I don't agree. The way I see it, we haven't scored in our last 8 innings. It doesn't matter what it usually takes to win a game, the point is that after the first, there were still 8 more innings to score runs. You don't call it a day if you get 5 runs in the first because you've met your quota. You pat yourself on the back for a good inning, and move on. That inning is history, you still have a job to do for the next 8. It's not just today we've struggled after the first, and it wasn't just Friday. I'd be willing to bet that at least 1/3rd of our runs or so the last few weeks have come in the 1st inning. That's great to come out with intensity, but it needs to be maintained.

Sure, it'd be nice to score runs in more innings than the first, but it's not like the Brewers sat down and said "Okay, 3 runs should be enough." Snell is a very, very good pitcher. He's going to work out of jams against most teams, not just the Brewers.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

ok i am sorry not sure i yhave used swaer words before

But i say it simply Vargas and his 6 innings just PLAIN STINKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enough with this Mediocre Pitcher While we have 2 other pitchers in the Pen take can take either Vargas or Bush spot.

this team has got to win these type of game

Verified Member

Oh and furthering the debate about Gallardo..

If you don't want him to get TOO MANY innings than why don't the Brewers send him back to Nashville so he can be a STARTER again. GOOD GRIEF!!!!!

That is the most bogus excuse I have ever heard for moving a STARTING PITCHER to the bullpen. Common sense.. Oh nevermind. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Quote:
If you don't want him to get TOO MANY innings than why don't the Brewers send him back to Nashville so he can be a STARTER again. GOOD GRIEF!!!!!

That is the most bogus excuse I have ever heard for moving a STARTING PITCHER to the bullpen. Common sense.. Oh nevermind.

Moving Yo from the Brewer's bullpen back to the AAA starting rotation is going to limit his innings how exactly?

I just dont see how keeping Vargas in this rotation instead of gallardo or Villy helps this team in any way. We should have Gallardo start and just limit his innings. We can also skip his turn in the rotation a few times to save his arm. Vargas is just an awful pitcher and he has no business in the rotation at this point. I feel the same way about Suppan but I realize with his outrageous contract we will just let him stink it up for the next 3 and a half years.

Quote:
The longer Bush and Vargas are in the rotation instead of Villanueva and Gallardo, the worse the Brewers' chances are

Yeah because Bush's 3.49 ERA and .651 OPS against in his past 7 starts have just been killing us.

Quote:
Rickie Weeks, please pack your bags and report to Nashville. One good week in April is just not enough.

While you're at it Rickie maybe you should bring Craig Biggio, Marcus Giles, Robinson Cano, Jose Lopez, Freddy Sanchez, Louis Castillo, and Tadihito Iguchi with you because they obviously don't belong in the Majors either.

Verified Member

Rluz, that was sarcasm.. heh

Gallardo is a Starter not a pitch every 4 days for 1 or 2 innings pitcher. If Gallardo would not have been called up this year he would have pitched 6-7 innings per start in Nashville every 4th or 5th day. Tell me this wouldn't mess his arm up anyway.. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

Vargas and Bush and even Cappy should be on short leashes. Gallardo does not deserve a DEMOTION to the pen after pitching as well as he has thus far.

I wish I had a nickel for everytime a visit by Maddux is followed on the very next pitch by a HR. It's unbelievable how often it happens. It's as if Maddux says "Go ahead and lay one in there".

I've noticed this too! I was trying to come up with reasons for this. Lets seeeee. Maybe the opponent has a covert micophone on him or pointed at him or something! Seriously, how many times has this happened?

Quote:
If Gallardo would not have been called up this year he would have pitched 6-7 innings per start in Nashville every 4th or 5th day. Tell me this wouldn't mess his arm up anyway..

Yes and if he were in Nashville his season would end 2 months before the Brewer season might. Gallardo shouldn't throw more than 175-185 IP this year, there is no reason to have him throw more than that, the risk just isn't worth it. They are just trying to come up with a solution that lets him help the team all season instead of being shut down later.

Archived