Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 3

Quote:
You know bugs me? People who constantly predict something bad is going to happen to the Brewers and when it finally does, pats themselves on the back like they are Nostradamus.

That's a great one. I always seem to sit next to that guy when I watch a Packer game somewhere other than my house. Every time Favre drops back "interception", when it finally does happen,"I called that one".

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How can the Brewers (or any team) have off the Thursday after the AS break??! When did they start doing this? I think this happened last year or the year before too. Every team should be scheduled to play that day. Drives me nuts.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

yes, the Doorman is the gentlemen that sits beside the 3rd base (opponent's) dugout, usually wearing a Brewers/Pilots jersey of some kind (I think I've seen him wear every Brewer/Pilot jersey available--oh and they're the "authentic" kind not the "replica"). He is almost always visible in the camera shot of a RH batter coming from the 1st base dugout. He occasionally is given close ups of him "showing a player the door to the dugout" after strikeouts. He has a beard/mustache combo.

Here's the best photo I can find online:

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n116/pitchleague/bondsk.jpg

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Ah, you know what? After closer inspection, you're right! That's NOT the doorman! The site I found that picture on is WAY wrong. Sorry about that.

I'll see if I can find another photo.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

my vent is in good fun....How can you not like the doorman? are you really a Brewers fan pitchleague? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif He is a huge human being that shows opposing players the door when they strike out, whats not to like?

like i said, this vent was in good fun, I know you're really a Brewers fan and a good one at that.

no problem, Jason.

Like I said, I think he is a good "semi-mascot" for the team, if you will. I guessed I get a little peeved/jealous maybe about all the face time he gets mainly because he's rich enough to get the face time, making himself sort of look like the world's biggest Brewer fan, when I know deep in my heart that he'd have some serious contention from many of us here, including myself, for that title. It just seems like he bought that title. Even if it's not an official title.

Jeez, I'm rambling.

- - - - - - - - -

I HATE the doorman. I hate anyone who has the time and resources to sit at every game in great seats with authentic gear on! How is that fair?

Seriously, I get a kick out of him. I'm extremely jealous but it's nice that our unofficial mascot simply "shows people the door" and doesn't do something obnoxious or is obscene.

I feel your vent though. I've sat many a night with my replica jersey on my couch staring longingly at his seats...

I often wonder if the Brewer's recent success are causing Brewer fans to raise their expectations beyond what might be considered reasonable to some (OK, at least myself). Had the Brewers lost yesterday's game 5-4, would it be unreasonable to hope that us fans might simply tip our caps to an inferior team and accept that they were just better for that one game? Do we now expect to sweep every bad team on the road, just as other teams' fans assumed they should go to Miller Park and sweep us earlier this decade?

I was in the mood for some comedy this morning, so I pop onto bfnet to read some "Yost must go" posts, only to find that I have to work much harder than I thought to find any. And now I'm giving up. I'm very disappointed in you guys.

I often wonder if the Brewer's recent success are causing Brewer fans to raise their expectations beyond what might be considered reasonable to some (OK, at least myself).

I'm not sure it's high expectations, necessarily. I simply don't have much of a road map, in terms of how well I think the team should perform. It used to be so easy -- you could just rely on the Brewers to be mediocre, or worse. But now we're transitioning into a phase (a long one, I hope) where we seem to be expecting more. But how much more? Good-but-not-great baseball? And what does that mean when they're playing lousy teams?

Baseball isn't much fun if you just expect mediocrity and averageness all the time. Part of the sport is the excitement of a comeback (or at least a break out inning), like the Brewers had last night. If we just expect slow progress year after year, the Brewers' time will never come because our young guys will have moved on to other teams, by and large.

I do think sometimes people expect too much out of the young guys, though. That was one of my worries going into this season...not so much the fans, but the Brewers organization placing so much pressure on the young guys to perform.

I think the same could be said of Jeff Suppan...we talked about this last night in the chat room. He went five innings and gave up three runs, which isn't all that bad. Not a great performance, but he left the game with the score tied, so he kept the Brewers in the thick of things. Yet, because of his big contract, that dissatisfies a lot of people.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I freakin' hate the Cubs. Their highlights were on before the Brewers again last night and I am so SICK of John Smuck hyping them. He thinks Shambrano is the best pitcher in the NL and that Lou Pinella is a difference maker. He proved that in Tampa....

I pray that the Brewers go in the Dumpley Park in their last series in August and pound the team that can't develop its' own players.

Baseball isn't much fun if you just expect mediocrity and averageness all the time.

I don't think that expecting the Brewers to occasionally have games where they are *GASP* tied in a game with an inferior team isn't exactly accepting mediocrity.

Now, if I expected them to actually lose to one, once in awhile...

Quote:
Do we now expect to sweep every bad team on the road, just as other teams' fans assumed they should go to Miller Park and sweep us earlier this decade?

I can accept the fact that we will lose "easy" games every now and then. It's the other side of the coin of being able to beat teams like Detroit on the road.

However, as long as the Cubs are hot, I just want us to be hotter. If they are going to go 5-2 on the road this week, then I want us to go 6-1.

Yes, I know it's unreasonable, but the Cubs make me nervous and the fans bug me so much.

This is what makes me so mad about this team. As easily as they can come out and just destroy their opposition, (see Monday, Saturday), they can just as easily come out and look like a poor farm league squad. This was a POOR AAA pitcher they faced today, not even a hot prospect. Are they allergic to anything better than 14 over .500?

Not to mention the Cubs have jumped on the Nationals early again. This just in -- the Nats absolutely suck.

The guy the Brewers faced today was a jorneyman scrub who looked like he was throwing batting practice yet we continuously let him off the hook. With Zambrano facing a horrible Nats team the lead looks like it will be down to 5 1/2. Losing is one thing but playing little league defense and letting a journeyman shut you down is very discouraging. Also has anyone noticed that Princes average is down to 275 and he really seems to be pressing.

Also has anyone noticed that Princes average is down to 275 and he really seems to be pressing.

and he is starting to get really frustrated. I just got done watching highlights and he just got under one today and flew out. He came back to the dugout and starting punching the gatorade coolers. So I would say its safe to assume that he is pressing right now

It seems like the All-Star Break will be coming just in time for Prince. He'll be fine, obviously.

As far as the Doorman goes, I like him. He doesn't do anything obscene and it's nice to see a die-hard fan in that seat rather than some half-fan in company seats.

hope the brewers can get out of pittsburgh with a series win cause those cubbies are playing Hot and will be on our tail.

Cubs are playing the best baseball now and the brewers are just playing mediocre.

they have to remember the break does not come to sun.

hope the all atar game does not have a adverse effect on this team

Yost has his work cut out for him this week. With the break close, this team lost focus last year dropping 3 straight at home to the Cubs just before the break. That set a tone for coming out of the break slow too.

They appear to be poised to do the same this year. Yes they pounded the Pirates last night, but that was almost all Miller. They started that game looking sluggish to me and today, wow, their heads weren't in the game at all.

As for Prince, he may just be getting caught up in the hoopla already. Not surprising for a young player, but I hope he can refocus before the break, not wait until after it. These games are important.

Archived