Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 3

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Berman said the Brewers were a "surprising team." Weren't we all predicting that 2007 would likely bring a NL Central title? Didn't a whole bunch of pundits predict MIL to win the division? I can't stand Berman. Thankfully, he won't be doing any LDS games this year.

I think we need to send Prince down. It's obvious from the Home Run Derby that he's got a huge hole in his swing and can't hit batting practice pitches that are away from him.

Also fire whoever was pitching to him.

Chris Berman quit the back, back, back homerun call. It got old 2 seconds after you started it.

And you can quit with your stupid nicknames for people too.

Edit: I thought of another vent.

I have to argue with people who wouldn't trade Gwynn for Otsuka. I should just walk away but I can't.

Also I have one who feels Gwynn is worth more than Otsuka.

As the seasons continues, I would expect increased intensity and frustration in the vent thread. If the Brewers make it to the World Series, maybe we could see a 140-150 page vent thread?

That's my reasoning, too, for picking 150. Either a playoff run or a second-half collapse is going to produce some emotional outpourings (at least from me).

I agree about Berman. His shtick was funny and groundbreaking 20 years ago....it was lame 10 years ago, juvenile five years ago and now someone really needs to pull him aside and be a good wingman. I feel the same way about John Madden, yet Madden actually provides some meaningful insight once in awhile. Berman does not.

I dont know how people on this site will take this, if they care at all, but was anyone else completely p.o.'d when an 11 year veteran in mlb cant speak enough english to do a 30 sec interview. he needed an interpreter???

i rooted for the guy until i saw that crap. if u are going to come to this country and play baseball and earn tens of millions of dollars, the least u can do is learn the language well enough to give an interview.

i dont care if he wants to do his interview for espn deportes, fine. but be able to speak on your own to reg espn and the AP.

maybe that doesnt bother anyone, or maybe u think i have no right to complain about this, but it really got under my skin

I'm sure he knows some English, but he probably isn't comfortable speaking it on camera. I'm personally tired of the "If you're in America, speak English!" crap, but maybe that's just me.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

If I lived in Mexico, I would make every effort to learn Spanish and if I couldn't figure it out I would move.

If I didn't have enough time to type the word "you" and needed to replace it with "u" I would not post on message boards http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Menotti: No, you have absolutely no right to complain about that, aside from freedom of speech. It's arrogant & cruel.

Quote:
i rooted for the guy until i saw that crap. if u are going to come to this country and play baseball and earn tens of millions of dollars, the least u can do is learn the language well enough to give an interview.
If your qualifications for cheering someone include xenophobia, I doubt Vlad gives a crap. If you are going to rip someone like this, try learning the language yourself.

CrazyK: Berman sucks. He's called how many HR derbys, and still 'can't belive it!' when a 6'2"+, 215 lb. + guy rips a batting practice pitch deep? I know he's paid to 'make it exciting' and all, but his shtick at this point is crap.

(I was overjoyed to read of the 9-y-o who muted his fat mouth! To the father, you must be so proud!)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, this could devolve, so I'll just say that I'm not really outraged that a guy who lives and works in the US for six months out of the year whose job doesn't require English hasn't learned the language yet. I'd rather listen to an interview with an interpreter than one where a guy is falling all over his words besides. If he's making a life here or needs the language for work I might feel differently.

If I lived in Mexico, I would make every effort to learn Spanish and if I couldn't figure it out I would move.

If you were making millions of dollars in Mexico you wouldn't need to learn Spanish and I doubt you'd move and pass up millions more.

I heard Vlad speaks fluent French having spent all those years in Montreal.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I think Ichiro does know English to a degree. His body language seemed to indicate that he understood the questions?at least somewhat. But as crewcrazy suggests, I'd have to think he'd be afraid of saying the wrong thing on camera in front of a world-wide audience.

Heck, I was in a Mexican restaurant about a year ago. We were having a good time, drinking a few beers and speaking Spanish. The waiter came out with my food and told me my plate was hot. I intended to say, "Don't worry." (No tienes miedo.) Instead, I said something I can't post here. (No tienes something else.)

Oh, yeah? gotta say it. Menotti80, Brewerfan asks members not to use AOL-speak (e.g. "u" instead of "you"). Thanks.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

what I saw of the Mays thing was Bonds helping out Mays and stuff but almost all other players that were near the front of the pack were the "big name" guys--Jeter, ARod, some others. All guys that looked like they were placed near the front of the pack by MLB to be visible on television.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Quote:
I think Ichiro does know English to a degree. His body language seemed to indicate that he understood the questions?at least somewhat. But as crewcrazy suggests, I'd have to think he'd be afraid of saying the wrong thing on camera in front of a world-wide audience.

A friend of mine is actually an M's fan and he said that Ichiro is actually fluent in English. He doesn't speak it during national television interviews, though, because he doesn't want to be misunderstood or mistranslated when the interview airs in Japan. If you actually watch the interview again, you can tell he understands the questions by looking at his body language -- the nodding with the question like he understands, the laughing at the bad jokes Zelasko made, etc.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived