Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 4

saget
Quote:
Probably Bill Hall since he would strike out instead of hitting into a DP

Classic. He also would have hustled had he hit one on the ground. Nice defeatest attidude there. Now why don't you go ahead and predict that they'll lose first place in less than a week? If that's the best you can come up with regarding Hall batting over Estrada in the 5 hole, then just go away.

I'm sorry...I didn't mean any of that....it's the loss talking....

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
He also would have hustled had he hit one on the ground.
Hall wouldn't need to hustle down the line. If he jogged he would still get there faster than Estrada at top speed.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Had Yost gotten on Estrada about his weeble wobble jog to first on Saturday, maybe he runs a little harder and maybe he beats the throw tonight. That puts Cordero in the game. Ned is not the blame for the loss, but he needs to go off on Estrada so this does not happen a third time and possibly cost us a game. As far as Balfour, the guy is just a nervous wreck on the mound. His history with the Twins suggests this is not just an anomoly, but rather a tendency not to throw strikes at the big league level.

Yost states in JS that Weathers just made a good pitch on Johnny...but the problem is Ned you don't have to throw a good pitch to Johnny....any old pitch will do. Also love the description of Johnny as a slow runner..try jogger.

Absolutely disgusting loss. Bases loaded and nobody out and you dont score one run, pitiful. This team also is hitting .212 with RISP and 2 outs. If Braun and Fielder dont have huge nights this team doesnt score. As far as Estrada is concerned I want him off this team after the year ends. He doesnt run balls out and he really is an empty .280 hitter with his lack of patience and low OBP. As far as defense is concerned he is at the level of a Chad Moeller.

This team needs to wake up already. We cant keep playing like absolute garbage on the road. Also lets get Rickie in the lineup everyday again. He looks to be coming out of his slump and he unlike guys like Estrada knows how to take pitches. Rickie also plays hard and is a sparkplug.

For the record - I am the one who ripped Jenkins throwing himself in front of a pitch to get hit.

And I completely stand by it. I know he had two strikes. But that pitch was ball 2 - and a two and two count would have been ok.

In an extra inning game, with two outs already and guys on second and third we don't really need a walk or HBP. We need to drive in one (maybe two) runs to win that game. Jenkins was a better matchup against the pitching and instead of battleing (after all, he is a battler isn't he?) and going after a decent pitch he swung at two crap pitches - fell behind and then bails out by jumping in front of a pitch. (For which he should have been laughed at by the ump and not awarded first base. If you looked, he tried to do the same things on the pitch before)

Name me one good player in the league who would do that? Can you imagine Pujols intentionally getting hit by a pitch in taht situation?

Like I said - no killer instinct right now. We are playing not to lose instead of trying to win. I think we need Cappy and Estrada to get into a shoving match - seems to have worked for the Cubs.

[ For the record - I am the one who ripped Jenkins throwing himself in front of a pitch to get hit.

And I completely stand by it. I know he had two strikes. But that pitch was ball 2 - and a two and two count would have been ok. ]

Vs Righties, Jenkins has a 27.1% chance of getting a base hit.

When you compare the 100% chance of getting on base and putting more ducks on the pond for a bigger inning with the 27.1% chance of driving the winning run in, I'll take the 100% chance every time.

If Jenks could hit like Pujols, I would be upset. But we have another thread suggesting Jenkins is washed up and isn't good enough to be on the team. The same day we complain when he takes one on the knee on a 1-2 pitch, a count he usually hacks at a low inside pitch. We can have one or the other, we can't say both that he isn't good enough to be on the team and he shouldn't let himself get hit because he has such a good bat.

I'm starting to think I don't know anything about baseball. Every Brewer fan I've talked to in real life has asked me about the Gwynn/Dunn trade. And every person has said it was a good thing it was just a rumor and we didn't trade such a stud prospect for a crappy hitter in Dunn. When I argue this, they tell me that the ability to hit a couple of hrs a year does not outway his lack of fielding and his lack of getting on base. When are people going to realize that On Base percentage is a greater stat of getting on base than batting average? They also complain that Dunn strikes out too much. Not only would I have made the trade, I would take most trades for TGJ just to keep Ned from starting him. A late inning defensive/baserunner does a team no good if you have him already in the lineup.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Against righties, Kevin Mench has a 23.3% chance of reaching base.

I'll take Jenkins' 27.1% chance of getting a hit over Mench's 23.3% chance of doing anything that doesn't involve making an out.

That said, it's hard to blame Jenkins for doing what he could to extend the inning. It's not his fault that the manager let a right-handed hitter hit in a situation where he's hardly ever successful, especially when there was a left-handed hitter on the bench.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

[ Against righties, Kevin Mench has a 23.3% chance of reaching base.

I'll take Jenkins' 27.1% chance of getting a hit over Mench's 23.3% chance of doing anything that doesn't involve making an out. ]

I would take Mench's 21.8% chance of getting a base hit over Jenkins's 27.1% chance if you told me that they'd have the bases loaded during Mench's at-bat.

.237/.306/.418/.724

Those are some pretty ugly stats for a player, they are even worse considering thats the Brewers team batting line for this month. We need to start hitting the ball.

Braun is .338/.393/.714/1.107

I didn't take the time to do the math but if you take Braun away from this team I'm pretty sure the rest of the players have under a .300 OBP and might have under a .700 OPS.

Quote:
I would take Mench's 21.8% chance of getting a base hit over Jenkins's 27.1% chance if you told me that they'd have the bases loaded during Mench's at-bat.

Meh. Jenkins is slumping mightily, and like I said, I think he did what he felt he had to do to keep the inning going. I'm okay with that. I'm not in a spot where I can rip someone for getting on base.

Maybe I'm just on an anti-Ned kick, but I'm more peeved that Mench was allowed to bat in a really big spot against a right-hander. Sure, the Reds could have brought a lefty in to face Gwynn, but Gwynn has been better against lefties this year than Mench has been against righties...small sample size understood. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

[ Maybe I'm just on an anti-Ned kick, but I'm more peeved that Mench was allowed to bat in a really big spot against a right-hander. Sure, the Reds could have brought a lefty in to face Gwynn, but Gwynn has been better against lefties this year than Mench has been against righties...small sample size understood. ]

Gwynn has been miserable since his recall. I don't blame Yost for batting Mench over Gwynn.

Quote:
I think we need Cappy and Estrada to get into a shoving match - seems to have worked for the Cubs.

Great idea. How about Estrada and Balfour, though. Then they can penalize Balfour by sending him down to West Virginia. And they can trade Estrada to the Padres, just like the Cubs did with Barrett. In return we get Barrett!! Wouldn't that be delicious irony?

I'm doing a little research into World Series teams and catchers. What I'm finding out so far is that teams that make it into the WS don't have lazy, crappy catchers.

Quote:
I didn't take the time to do the math but if you take Braun away from this team I'm pretty sure the rest of the players have under a .300 OBP and might have under a .700 OPS.

Umm I was curious so I did all the stats myself and combined them without Braun. It's really horrible.

.222/.295/.388/.683

Quote:
I'm tired of hearing that Geoff Jenkins was an all star. Every team gets at least one guy on the team even if there is not a player that deserves based on his stats.

For the record, we already had our quota one all-star in the game. Jenkins was the first person to win the vote for the last spot. He did have the numbers that year to back up the appearance.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Archived