Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 4

saget

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When are the Cubs going to stop playing over their heads. They may be a good team, I get that. But they are definitely not a .750 win percentage type of team. They have major flaws, especially at catcher, center field and in the bullpen.

It's time for them to get off this ridiculous hot streak and go back to playing like they had early this season.

I hate the Cubs, not because they are closely situated to us, and not even because of their fans. I hate the Cubs because they can afford to go out and spend 200 million in an off season. Just imagine how good the Brewers would be if they had the cash to bring in a Soriano to play in LF instead of the Jenkins/Mench combo.

How potent would this lineup be:

Soriano

Hart

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Estrada

Hardy

Weeks/Graffy

Hart's approach at the plate over the last few games has been TERRIBLE. He's missing badly on the pitches he swings at, and almost always ends up in an 0-2 count. I'd like to see him display more discipline up there and get some good pitches to hit, instead of flailing at junk.

Agree big time about Hart. He is pulling off and is not even close to many pitches. JJ had a couple hits the other day but his bat seems a bit slow right now. Combine that with a Jenkins slump, Weeks non-existent and Hall injured and we certainly are struggling with the bat right now. I didn't like the approach of Graffy and Miller when we had two on and nobody out. Make Davis throw some pitches, he'll walk the yard. Feel bad for Grant but we were warned that his fastball was usually up. Not a good combination for a slider pitcher as you need both pitches to start on the same plane, like Cordero. He seemed nervous as hell for a guy who was 29 and had 55 games in. Hope Yovani can pick us up tomorrow.

Couple of things --

- Hey Ned, we have this one reliever named Matt Wise. He's pretty good. I can only assume that he's unavailable right now. That's too bad, I guess I would have rather seen him in with the score tied tonight than a AAA pitcher that hasn't pitched since '04.

- For the love of God, send Weeks down to Triple A. I still believe in his potential, but let him work out his problems in the minors. He's absolutely killing us right now. You can go ahead and pencil in an 0-4 day whenever he's starting.

- Can we ever rally when trailing with 2 innings left? I started a thread about this a couple weeks ago. When we are trailing with 2 innings left to go, we go out with a whimper. Every time. Doesn't matter whether we're trailing by 1 run or 10.

Couple of things --

- Hey Ned, we have this one reliever named Matt Wise. He's pretty good. I can only assume that he's unavailable right now. That's too bad, I guess I would have rather seen him in with the score tied tonight than a AAA pitcher that hasn't pitched since '04.

- For the love of God, send Weeks down to Triple A. I still believe in his potential, but let him work out his problems in the minors. He's absolutely killing us right now. You can go ahead and pencil in an 0-4 day whenever he's starting.

- Can we ever rally when trailing with 2 innings left? I started a thread about this a couple weeks ago. When we are trailing with 2 innings left to go, we go out with a whimper. Every time. Doesn't matter whether we're trailing by 1 run or 10.

Quote:
Someone jacked my grill tonight. Congratulations it was already all tipsy because the leg was broken. I hope you burned yourself.

Dude, I feel your pain. I, too, have left a losing game to find my grill jacked. Makes you want to stick somebody, doesn't it.

I don't see why Turnbow didn't come in regardless. I started listening during the bottom of the seventh on my break. With Balfour and Turnbow warming up, Jim said that Turnbow would come in if the Brewers were able to score. I just assumed they were down. If the score was tied, I don't see why you wouldn't go with your best set-up man in that situation.

Oh well, Ned has done a pretty good job recently, so I can't complain too much.

Quote:
Someone jacked my grill tonight. Congratulations it was already all tipsy because the leg was broken. I hope you burned yourself.

Amen. I got my grill jacked a little less than a year ago, and it too was a bit wonky. People got nothing better to do than steal a smokey joe in a state of disrepair? Are you sitting around telling your friends, "Whoa dude, I totally got this grill for free! Totally saved myself $30 on this one!"

And when will the Cubs return to Earth? Because watching the Crew falter while the Cubs are hot is just a little too much.

Quote:
I don't see why Turnbow didn't come in regardless. I started listening during the bottom of the seventh on my break

Turnbow and Cordero have pitched a lot lately that is probably why. Turnbow had pitched 3 of the last 4 games, Cordero pitched the last 4 games.

Wise was the obvious choice as he had pitched 1 time in the past week+.

Balfour shouldn't have even been the issue, it shouldn't have even got to that point.

6th inning. st and 2nd nobody out, Graffy at the plate, tied 2-2. You don't sacrafice?!?!?! Get the runners to 2nd and 3rd and get at least one run in. You do that, and the rest of the game may play out very differently.

It's such a no-brainer to me that I can't justify any other option. If it's a slug fest I can see swinging away. But it was a 2-2 game where every run was valuable. This shouldn't surprise me because Yost rarely bunts in these situations. But I've already counted four games that MAY have been won by bunting and getting a run across.

I would have boo'd big time if he used our one hot hitter to sac bunt in the 6th. I would have done it in the 8th, but not that early. I'm mad that Davis walked Kevin "I refuse to walk" Mench in four pitches and we go up there hacking early in the count. I wouldn't be upset if they drove pitches right at guys for outs, but they were week flyballs to the opposite field.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Quote:
It's such a no-brainer to me that I can't justify any other option. If it's a slug fest I can see swinging away. But it was a 2-2 game where every run was valuable. This shouldn't surprise me because Yost rarely bunts in these situations. But I've already counted four games that MAY have been won by bunting and getting a run across.

The negative to bunting there is that Arizona would have walked Miller to load the bases for Weeks. With how Weeks is hitting, I can actually understand why Ned didn't like that scenario.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Good point, endaround. The one solace I'll take out of our pitching performances is that Capuano was pretty sharp last night as far as hitting his spots. He still nibbled a bit and got away with it last night, but it wasn't nearly as pronounced as previous starts.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Archived