Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 5

pitchleague
Quote:
This team needs new leadership. It's not that Yost is a terrible manager (he's not) but it almost never happens for a franchise which has lost for some time under one manager to be able to completely turn it around under the same manager even when the talent has been significantly upgraded.

I don't know about that, and I'm not going to do the research.

I have never trusted Yost, and if getting a new manager is the upshot to this collapse, at least we get a new manager out of the deal. And the team is still really young. Maybe someone will come in here and do what Leyland did for the Tigers/Scioscia for the Angels.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its time for us as fans to come to come to the realization that this is just a .500 team...heck, they are 40-40 in the 80 games since April.

They played an awesome month of baseball that gave them a decent lead in a bad division.

When they had their 10-20 streak earlier this year, everyone else in the division sucked too, allowing them to keep their lead. Now, the Cubs are playing like they are capable, and the Brewers are probably reverting back to where they should be.

Quote:
Maybe its time for us as fans to come to come to the realization that this is just a .500 team...heck, they are 40-40 in the 80 games since April.

I accepted this last year, even though my disdain for Yost told me otherwise.

I'm not accepting it this year. Something is wrong.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

Quote:So if they go .500 from here, they'll finish at 85 wins. Isn't that where we thought they'd be? I did, anyways. I sure didn't expect a 24-10 start.

This is all true, but I'm not sure we can just expect .500 ball the rest of the way. Since going 24-10, they've gone 33-39. Thats .4583, and would give them 82-83 wins on the seaon, which would not be tollerable.

So 85 wins is what you expect, but 82-83 is intolerable? I just want to make sure thats what you mean?

The hitting this year combined with what the pitching should be capable of suggests we are better than a .500 team. I already pointed it out in another thread but if we are a .550 or so team you would expect between a 60 and 120 game stretch of .500 play out of us in the middle of the season. Even a .600 team will usually have a stretch of 50 games where they just play .500.

I think this team has the talent to be around .530, with luck they could push it higher with bad luck it can be lower. This has been a miserable week of baseball because of the bullpen collapse but the starters have been decent, the hitting has been solid so there is some hope to be had that things go better in the near future.

I'm not accepting it this year. Something is wrong.

Im not saying it should be accepted, Im just saying its the way it is.

Because of that, changes need to be made. We were told as fans that being mediocre was no longer acceptable. Apparently, thats not the case. But, as long as the home games keep selling out, apparently the Brewers brass feel that the fans think its okay, which its not.

If the stands get a little emptier in August, maybe their thoughts will change.

Im not saying it should be accepted, Im just saying its the way it is.

Because of that, changes need to be made. We were told as fans that being mediocre was no longer acceptable. Apparently, thats not the case. But, as long as the home games keep selling out, apparently the Brewers brass feel that the fans think its okay, which its not.

If the stands get a little emptier in August, maybe their thoughts will change.

If the bullpen doesn't cough up 3 leads in the last week, would you still feel this way? Overreact much?

There is some serious character flaws with this team. This team collapsed in the second half last year and is doing it again now. We were horrendous on the road last year and that has continued this season. Good teams just dont play this poorly on the road. The team just looks like it has lost all confidence. They look like they are just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I just dont see any leadership on this team whatsoever. Yost and his attitude that nothing is ever wrong has gotten old and a change needs to be made. This team is more than talented enough to win 90 games in this lousy league and division. Another losing season at this point is just completely unacceptable. I am sure that Attanassio is losing his mind right now and wont put up for much more of this. He is an impatient guy who expects results and he expects it now. This is why I think Yost has managed his last game for the Crew.

just gonna vent here a little..

"good teams don't"

The next time I see a sentence starting out with that I'll scream, the only thing that matters at the end of the season is your W/L record, good teams reach their W/L records in so many different ways you can't just say they don't do this or that. There have been teams who are rotten on the road who go to the playoffs, there have been teams who have had 10 game losing streaks that go to the playoffs.

Quote:
If the bullpen doesn't cough up 3 leads in the last week, would you still feel this way? Overreact much?

If the offense didn't take all but about 5 of the last 27 innings in St. Louis off, would we be having this conversation?

So much blame to go around that it's almost impossible to find just one source.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

but they did give up those runs, and they did lose the games..you cant say what ifs, because then you can what if every single game. its not over reacting to think that they will keep losing or to think that changes need to be made.

this team shouldn't be this bad on the road. they have talent all over the place, except for their fearless leader.

No, I wouldnt feel this way, because it would have been a much better road trip.

And NO, I dont think Im "overreacting". This team lost 3 of 4 to one of the worst teams in the league and the last place team in our division, then blew two games where they led 6-0 and 5-0. Before that, they were beaten soundly in 3 of 4 at home by a bad Giants team, and are not far removed from losing series to bad Washington and Pittsburgh teams.

This isn't overreacting. This is real. This team is playing horrible baseball. Perhaps if some of the players were "overreacting" like I am, things might change. Other than Ryan Braun, nearly every brewer hitter is under .250 for the month of July. Our starting pitching has been spotty at best. Our bullpen - touted by our management as one of the best in the NL - has given away three wins this past couple of weeks and nearly gave away a couple others.

This isn't overreacting. Its actually realizing whats happening, and finding out a way to fix it...not just saying "its okay" and "theres 2 months left".

Still confused how this road series is Yost's fault. DId he say something to the bullpen that made every single one of them give up runs this week? Did he somehow make the offense stop scoring runs in the middle of games? I'm just really confused by this complaint.

There are plenty of reasons to not like Yost but this one doesn't seem to make any sense.

I too would like to know why this team can"t win on the road and it just not this year . Someone has to take the Blame for that how many Coaches get fired before the Manger Gets Canned.

The Brewers have that feeling no Matter how much they Lead the believe no Lead is safe.

I have to Believe Mark A is absoultly going nuts behind the scene, and will Demand changes very soon.

The back end of the Bullpen has went from the team strength to its weakness maybe it has to do with their overwork because the Starters can"t go more 5 or 6 innings.

There is some serious character flaws with this team. This team collapsed in the second half last year and is doing it again now.

Dude. The entire team was injured last year in the second half. Unless you define character flaw as "not having enough talent to win games", then it's a character flaw. Otherwise you're basically just being talk radio guy.

I love armchair psychoanalysis, though, keep it up.

Yost won't be fired and there won't be any drastic changes. I think Mark A. knows what he's doing and he's not going to overreact.

brewmann04, i dont think there is any doubt that Mark A is going nuts behind the scenes. I also agree with you that the bullpen is gasssed due to the starters never going more than 6 innings. Vargas just had his first start of more than six innings all season and Suppan hasnt gone longer than six in months. Villanueva in particular has been way overused and its showing.

Dude. The entire team was injured last year in the second half. Unless you define character flaw as "not having enough talent to win games", then it's a character flaw. Otherwise you're basically just being talk radio guy.

I love armchair psychoanalysis, though, keep it up.

Easy now, this IS the Vent Thread.

Then I guess I'm venting on people who are trying to judge the "character" of a collection of baseball players. Character doesn't win baseball games, I'm sorry.

I guess if people are expecting some kind of flurry of activity because they lost a road series are going to be disappointed. Likely that's what they want, so they can then complain about how they didn't do anything.

I'm fairly confident that many of the people blaming Yost for the bullpen implosion over the past two weeks are the same guys who blamed Mike Sherman for Chad Clifton's false starts.

This isn't a personal attack, just an observation of a certain mindset.

Quote:
So 85 wins is what you expect, but 82-83 is intolerable? I just want to make sure thats what you mean?

I think your confusing predictions with expectations. My expectation is at least 88 wins and a playoff spot. My prediction is, unless something changes to alter the current inertia of this team, we win 82-85 games. This is year 5 of the Doug Melvin era, and 82 wins should not be acceptable, and I don't think they do either. The Linebrink deal showed what where they think this team should be this year. I'd be disappointed if we all didn't share those expectations.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Other than Ryan Braun, nearly every brewer hitter is under .250 for the month of July

To me, this doesn't signal that we're falling apart at the seams, it signals that the team has collectively hit a rough stretch. Do you really think Corey Hart is going to hit .208 as he did in July? Do you think Weeks is going to hit .210 over the rest of the season? Better yet, do you think Turnbow and Cordero are going to blow every lead we have the rest of the way? This team is good. You can say whatever you want about letting you down, but this team is good. They aren't the 2003 Brewers or the 2004 Brewers -- they're a different team. To expect them to fail because those teams did is stupid. They're going to pull out of this because they aren't a .400 team.

Character absolutely wins baseball games... what could be more important than confidence? It's the single most important aspect of sports, if you aren't confident, you won't win much.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived