Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 5

pitchleague

Of course there was luck for the Phillies in the ninth,but a good part of it was self inflicted bad luck.

1.Wise was struggling to throw strikes and ended up grooving that home run pitch because his command was off again,that got the whole meltdown started.

2.That check swing was a strike,but it was very close and is by no means an easy call that the ump screwed up horribly

3.Cordero walked Rollins with two outs and nobody on base,massive mistake when you're leading by three runs.Why he was throwing sliders with a 2-0 count i'm still trying to figure out.

4.Cordero had Iguchi and Rowand 0-2 and couldn't put them away,something that's been happening to CoCo alot in his blown saves..He kept throwing them poor sliders that were easy to lay off except for the one Rowand had the check swing on and the one time he tried the high fastball,it was to high for a swing.It's crazy how often in games Cordero screws up,he has multiple hitters 0-2/1-2 and can't finish them off.

4.Cordero hit Howard which allowed the seeing eye single/poor play by Braun to tie the game

5.Cordero put three guys on base that inning that didn't have to hit their way on.Watch baseball long enough and it's uncanny how often those free passes find a way to score via bloops/bleeders/seeing eye singles.Coco throws strikes that inning,we almost for sure win that game.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much of what happened today can be attributed to rotten luck?

And yesterdays game could probably be attributed to good luck. They say these things have a way of balancing themselves out over the course of a season. It's not supposed to happen on consecutive days.

The rational part of my post is now over.

You get into a stupid, dramatic little dugout tussle not good enough to split anyone's lip. Ned comes out and says, "Yeah. I meant to do that." Then you add some fuel to the "needed spark" fire by winning to gritty games. AND THEN YOU COLLAPSE IN MONUMENTAL FASION IN A PACKED HOUSE.

As much as yesterdays win was a team effort, today's loss was as well. Errors called hits. Pitches hung over the plate on 0-2 counts WITH 2 OUTS!

You had a chance to apply some pressure and get out of town with a sweep AND YOU THREW IT ALL AWAY. BAH!

Anyone looking to win the NL Central, please step forward AND SHOW YOURSELVES.

Ahhh.....

And yesterdays game could probably be attributed to good luck. They say these things have a way of balancing themselves out over the course of a season. It's not supposed to happen on consecutive days.

I just hope for all the games they've blown (what is it seven or eight?) even out into comeback wins (three or four so far?). I can be hopeful right?

Ugh, I hate the feeling I have after one of these losses.

We have absolutely blown 5 or 6 games over a two week period and this was the worst one yet. Sad how the best win of the year is followed by the worst loss. Now we head back on the road and we all know what that usually means. This team should be at least 5 games in front yet we are up by one. Still plenty of time to go and I just hope that this team can stop giving games away.

I cannot even fathom that anyone would blame tonight's game on Yost.

Yost put Wise in the game, who has struggled mightily.

How much of what happened today can be attributed to rotten luck?

Oh -- I don't know -- Cordero walks Rollins on 4 pitches out of the zone, Parra walks a pitcher which gets Howard up to bat the next inning -- Braun should have made that play at third.

On the flip side of the coin -- I thought a lot of the Brewers hits early in the game should have been caught by the Phillies OFers. -- I thought those were lucky in favor of the Brewers.

If I was Ned, I'd say screw this. Much of Milwaukee has handled winning baseball horribly.

I think it is very fair to vent against Ned-bashing -- however, I would not say it is fair to say that Ned-bashers have any less knowledge of baseball than Ned-supporters.

Generally speaking, "winning baseball" is a term that is applied to a span of multiple seasons, not April 2007.

I wasn't speaking to just "Ned Bashers," but rather the many people who are now going to MP with no clue what's even going on, or are calling into the post game shows to whine and complain about Ned blowing a game, when they can't even come up with a situation where he faltered. I've even heard people say they wanted Dessens to get another fair shot in clutch situations. It's just getting old.

And furthermore, "winning baseball" does not have to be over a span of multiple seasons. It's still August, they still have a 1 game lead, and that's something we haven't seen in a long time. To me, and many, a team in first place approaching mid August, is playing "winning baseball." You can play winning baseball over the span of a week, month, season, or multiple seasons.

Worst brewer losses since June 9th.

I have ranked them. Tell me if I am wrong. Sorry Prince but lately Milwaukee fans do have something to boo about.

8-1-2007

Summary: Brewers take early lead on Oliver Perez on a Prince Fielder bomb. Mets immediately rally back to take lead and win game.

Heartbreak impact: We had the feisty Perez on the ropes after he made a big error and allowing Fielders 3 run homerun. Brewers pitchers allow 2 3-run hrs, Mets go on to win the series.

6-17-2007

Summary: Brewers rally from down 9-2 in the 6th to tie game in the ninth. Morneau walks off in the bottom of the ninth.

Heartbreak impact: 7 run rally and series sweep squandered away.

6-24-07 Brewers lose to KC in extras

Summary: KC rallies in the 7 and 8th to take a one run lead, brewers rally to tie in ninth. KC wins in the 11th.

Heartbreak impact: Yovanni Gallardo has the bullpen blow his win. Brewers rally to tie. Spurling WALKS in the go ahead run at home.

7-26-07 Brewers lose in extras to Cincy.

Summary: Reds tie game off CoCo in the bottom of the ninth. Win game in the tenth.

Heartbreak impact: Reds win series 3-1, in a set where the brewers lose two in walk offs. Walk off delivered by Javier Valentine 8 hole hitting catcher for the second time in the series.

7-23-07 Brewers lose in extras to Cincy.

Summary: Brewers lose 1-2 in 12 innings

Heartbreak impact: Brewers opportunity to take game one of a road series against the reds ace Harrang squandered. Capuano's pitcher performance wasted. Brewers have bases loaded on in the 11th no one out and no one scores. Walk off delivered by Javier Valentine 8 hole hitting catcher. Everyone watching the game knew Balfour had nothing.

7-28-07 Brewers lose to Cardinals in first game of double header.

Summary: Brewers blow 2 run lead in the bottom of ninth.

Heartbreak impact: Brewers lose pitching gem thrown by Manny Parra. CoCo not only blows 2 run save in the ninth but also loses the game. 2 of 3 runs score with 2 outs. Brewers lose opportunity to ensure a road spilt. Impact of loss cleary evident in game 2's 2-5 loss to the Cardinals.

6-9-2007 Brewers lose in ninth to Rangers.

Summary: Brewers blow 3-0 lead in the bottom of ninth.

Heartbreak impact: Brewers lose second game of a road series against the worst team in the AL. Squander a shut out by Ben Sheets. Coco shows he is mortal blowing a three run save. Rangers down to their last strike with 4 different hitters.

8-5-07 Brewers lose in 11 to Phillies

Summary: Brewers blow 5 run lead in the ninth.

Heartbreak impact: Brewers blow a five run lead in the ninth. Extremely poor pitching by Wise and Coco combined with a poor defensive play by Braun allow Philly to tie game in 9. 3 runs score after two outs. Wes helms beats us for the second time this year.

6-29-07 Brewers lose in ninth to cubs.

Summary: Brewers blow early 5 run lead and lose in regulation to the cubs.

Heartbreak impact: Brewers jump out to an early 5-0 lead on the road against the cubs. Yovanni Gallardo pitches a gem and the brewers blow it. With two out s Aramis Rameriez blasts a shot out off CoCo and cub fans go crazy.

(bumped up font size --1992)

That's a really great list. I'd probably fit the first game against the Phillies this year on there. Here's the recap:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=270514122

Essentially we blew a huge lead again by giving up 6 in the eight inning. Turnbow was on the hook for it and it started the first bad part of the season.

I'd also add the Sunday game vs St Louis.

They were up 5-0 that game, with Yovani on the hill, he pitched 4 no hit innings before giving up 4 in the 5th.

Villy then walked in the lead run in the 8th. Lost 9-5.

The Mets game was so bad on 8/1 because the Brewers took the lead, the Mets came back and took it back, then the Brewers scored again to regain the lead and then Vargas blew up.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Remember when two months convinced some that Vargas was good because he had a knack for getting out of jams? How did that small sample work out?

I hated the Davis trade when it went down and I still hate it. Is Estrada and Vargas all Melvin could really get for Davis and Eveland?

Remember when two months convinced some that Vargas was good because he had a knack for getting out of jams? How did that small sample work out?

I hated the Davis trade when it went down and I still hate it. Is Estrada and Vargas all Melvin could really get for Davis and Eveland?

I agree. We got a downgrade at starting pitcher and a catcher who has a measly .302 OBP that can't throw someone out to save his life and never hustles. Now that Vargas is coming back down to Earth I can only hope that he is sent to the pen and replaced by Yo and/or Parra. To keep their innings in check they can be babied a bit or perhaps they can switch off. Perhaps Yo in the rotation for the rest of August and Parra for September?

Another loss on the road. It's getting alarming. This team has shown no ability to play on the road and sustain any kind of success. Maybe the Brewers should hire a second manager who will only manage during road trips. Ned Yost can manage during home games only. Why not?

I don't know what else to say. This just isn't working.

as good as Braun has been, has anyone else noticed that he seems to do most of his hitting in non pressure situations? And when he does get into a pressure situation, he becomes a completely different hitter.

I know I've been spoiled when I catch myself venting about Ryan Braun.

Is Estrada and Vargas all Melvin could really get for Davis and Eveland?

They are all below average players in my mind. Who else was going to be our catcher this year? Which leads me to my next vent... our catcher is terrible, again!!

I still think the Estrada trade was a good one. Doug Davis makes way too much money and sadly, Estrada was an upgrade at catcher for us and also allows us to keep Miller fresh all year.

Estrada would be a really good player if he would gain some patience and start to swing at good pitches. He keeps swinging at first and second pitches which are usually garbage to him. Why would a pitcher have any incentive to throw a strike on the first or second pitch?

Estrada has a really, really good bat. He really does. What he doesn't have is good pitch selection.

There is no use in having a high average if your OBP is almost the same as the average and you have very little power. Add in Estrada's lousy defense and noodle arm and the guy is almost completely useless. As far as Davis making too much money he has a 3 yr 21 million dollar contract which is a far better contract than the great "innings eater" Suppan who even when he pitches well like on sunday cant even go 6 full innings. Davis pitches tons of innings and is a better pitcher than Suppan for less money.

To be fair Estrada has had much more success on his career when swinging at the 1st pitch.

.902 career OPS on the first pitch.

.733 OPS total.

I still like the deal. Davis is basically Vargas but with 1/2 more IP per game, no thanks. Don't be fooled by the 3.88 ERA, he has pitched horribly this year and had some lucky results, not unlike Vargas earlier this year.

Archived