Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 7

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have we found an explanation yet for that double steal? That was dumb. We were Yosted 2 times in 1 at bat. Why no Mench there

Yost said he stayed with Jenkins, "mostly because I want his defense out there."

Adding to that puzzler, Braun was thrown out easily on a double steal attempt during the Jenkins at-bat. Moments later, Jenkins struck out and the rally fizzled.

Jenkins was removed anyway in the next inning, when Turnbow recorded two outs but then walked the next two batters. Yost yanked him for Cordero and had to double-switch, so he put Laynce Nix in left field.

LINK

I really wish somebody had kept a running tally on all this kind of stuff. From all of the head-scratching decisions, to the weird and non-sensical explanations, to the claims that there are 46 letters in the alphabet - and everything in between.

I think if all of these things were documented in one place, it would really be a good way to accurately display all of the damage this man has done to our season. Unfortunately, such a list would be so enormous it would probably cause the site to crash.

Umm.... When Jenkins came up to the plate(INEXCUSABLE) in the 7th inning the Reds had NO ONE up in the pen. So if Ned had pinch hit with a Righty the game was basically being given to the Brewers. But what does Ned do??? Stays with the lefty vs lefty matchup except it was our offense vs. their pitcher. And what in the end happened? Jenkins STRUCK OUT! Am I happy the Brewers won?? Yes! But am I happy we have an inept manager?? NO!!!!!!!!

Sorry Ned, I supported you all the way until August. Never squeaked a peep in fact. But I am getting very tired of you trying ( and sometimes succeeding) to help your team lose. Geoff is overpaid and maybe you were being nice and thought hey, perhaps he's due vs. a lefty. grrrrrrr....... If you are going all out to win every game then use the proper batter when it's needed! Dillon, Rottino, and Mench were all there for you in that spot. Oh why do I bother caring???

A SUFFERING BREWER FAN SINCE 1992!

P.S. I went to 34 games in 1992, the last time the Brewers played MEANINGFUL games in September.

I am venting on all of the second guessers and geniuses that are everywhere. Ned Yost has made mistakes but people act like they have all of the answers and are 100% right all the time.

I don't know that I'd necessarily consider myself a genius, but I can tell you that these numbers: .320/.350/.553/.903 are all much bigger than these numbers: .230/.299/.443/.742

At least I think they are. If not, my kindergarten teacher has some serious explaining to do...

I am venting on all of the second guessers and geniuses that are everywhere. Ned Yost has made mistakes but people act like they have all of the answers and are 100% right all the time. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me.

I guess lefties have hit Stanton hard this year, so I will give Ned a pass on leaving Jenkins in. But the double steal? Against a good-throwing catcher? With a lefty up, giving said catcher a nice, open view of third?

Schroeder pointed out several times before the AB that no one was warming up for the Reds.

I was at fanfest and could not see the bullpen from where I was sitting. I was also thinking at the time that Yost wanted Jenkins to stay in the game for his defense. But the very next inning you took him out of the game. We should go back to having the fans vote during the game for what should happen.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I guess lefties have hit Stanton hard this year, so I will give Ned a pass on leaving Jenkins in.

I don't believe Ned brought that up as a reason though, and that is where the problem lies. People would be way more tolerant of these things, if there was at least some evidence of logical thought behind them. Instead he gives explations like "the flow of the game" or "we like Linebrink there" or "you make a decision and there's no crying about it." Things that aren't really explanations at all. Then, sometimes he says things that are just blatantly false, like that Javier Valentin hits better when he's batting right-handed, or they wanted Jenkins for defense when they removed him the next inning.

It' not just that he makes poor decisions - it's that there always seems to be extremely faulty logic driving the decision making.

razzzorsharp wrote:

I didnt mind the double steal call. It would have been huge to have a guy on third with only one out and at worst we still have a guy in scoring position.

There didn't seem to be any reason to believe Braun could steal 3rd though. He was out by 5 steps. Obviously, it would have been nice to have a guy at 3rd, but the chances of making an out there are quite high. In my opinion, the risk was not worth the potential reward, and it was an idea that was almost certain to fail.

Leaving Jenkins out there in the 7th (and putting a hit-and-run on no less) is just one more completely inexcusable, indefensible move by Ned

I don't mind leaving Jenkins out there all that much. He's got power so a good chance he drives in 2 with a hit, he K's a lot vs lefties and a K while not a good result is better than a GIDP. He's a good defensive OF and we had a lead.

Now double stealing with a lefty who strikes out a lot up to bat against a very good throwing catcher was just idiotic. Even if they steal the base you know Jenkins is going to K a lot of the time and make the SB worthless.

-----

Continued here:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30470

Archived