Brewer Fanatic

2007 Vent Thread, Part 7

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's take out our best offensive hitter for a defensive substitution before the 9th inning... yeah, I've been waiting for that one to bite Ned in the rear end. (You have no idea how much restraint it takes to type "rear end" instead of alternatives).

Yost: "Pence hits 70 points higher vs. lefties this year" as his reasoning for bringing in Aquino.

This from the same man who just a few days ago let Mench hit against Dempster when Jenkins hits considerably better against him

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Ned complaining about how does he win on putting in Aquino or keeping in Shouse...

Here is a genius idea Ned, use your closer! Use Wise! Don't use a guy who got sent down for choking in the clutch earlier this year against the Astros. How about that?

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/6285/toastrb6.jpg

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

It's just another example of how the non-sensical Save rule distorts the game. There's no reason to not have your best reliever in the game to record the most critical out, other than the fact that he might not be able to record a save.

Even with that, Aquino? That's almost as bad as using Mench against a righty.

Robert

Pence hits lefties better? Fine. Then bring in Cordero, not Aquino.

Yost is so unbelieveably clueless. He'll take out Ryan Braun before the 9th inning of a tight game for defensive reasons, but then will bring in Greg Aquino to try and get the most important out of the game with 2 outs in the 8th, while our closer sits in the bullpen and rots.

Absolutely clueless.

The level of anger I feel right now incites an opportunity for me to mention how intensely infuriated I was to throw in my Harvey's Wallbangers DVD for the 1st time recently and see how much commentary Yost provided. It absolutely ruined the entire program. What were the producers thinking? That DVD is useless to me now. How can I ever throw it in to re-live that team when the sight of the manager who ruined the current team is so abundant?

Even my AC can't cool me down after this loss. This is the straw that breaks the camels back for me. I like Ned Yost as a person and I appreciate what he has done for our organization in turning it around from the mess which was the Lopes-Royster era, but the man has got to go.

If this were a team not in contention, it's fine if he's trying to build confidence in McClung, Aquino, etc. That's what Ned is good for, he's good at pumping up scrappy kids. What he sucks at is hurting people's feelings and putting in the guy who gives us a best chance to win until its too late. It happened with Mench last week. It has happened a lot with him being late to pull the trigger on pulling a guy. It happened with Moeller and Jenkins last year. He has a track record of this kind of stuff. If we want to be a contending team, we need a manager who will play the percentages and give us the best chance to win instead of playing the percentages and trying to build guys up while doing it.

When we hired Yost he was a great manager because that's what he had to do, pump up scrappy guys like Brady Clark, Matt Wise, Brooks Kieschnick, and John Vander Wal and squeeze every bit of talent he could out of them. Now when we have a closer who is second in the league in saves we instead turn to Aquino, a scrappy guy who he was trying to pump up.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

It's just another example of how the non-sensical Save rule distorts the game. There's no reason to not have your best reliever in the game to record the most critical out, other than the fact that he might not be able to record a save.

Even with that, Aquino? That's almost as bad as using Mench against a righty.

Robert

but wasn't it save situation for Aquino anyways (assuming he'd then pitch the ninth, of course)? So why wouldn't he bring in Cordero there?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

With an eighth-inning two-run lead, runners on first and second and two out, here are people I would rather see pitching to Hunter Pence than Greg Aquino:
  • Francisco Freaking Cordero
  • Brian Shouse
  • Matt Wise
  • Chris Spurling
  • Steve Bray (still somehow in AAA with a 1.62 ERA and 1.02 WHIP in 77.2 innings)
  • Manny Parra with a broken thumb
  • Corey Koskie
  • Danny Almonte
  • Haley Joel Osment
  • Chewbacca
  • Me

Yost added some new twists to his failures today. He never should have made two defensive changes in the 8th once he had to replace Jenkins early in the game (is Gross that bad that Mench is that big of an upgrade?). He had nothing but two AAA callups and sore catcher left if he needed a bat (which he did). Sure Rottino came close to the hit, but honestly was he the guy we wanted up there?

No way you can use Aquino there instead of Cordero.

Anyone else notice how Yost was beaming in the dougout after one of his moves (bunting with JJ) worked in the 7th? By the way, why not have Hardy squeeze in the tying run in the 8th? I never even saw him look for a sign.

I get the feeling the Hardy/Yost relationship isn't a very stable one.

Hardy looked PISSED when he got the sign to bunt with 2 strikes. Even though it worked, I don't know why you would call a bunt with 2 strikes on one of our hottest hitters at the plate.

Archived